Converting JPG to WEBP - one step forward and 10 steps backward!

movies
Tourist
6 0 1

Having just disovered that I cannot save my own images, by right-clicking, except in the nearly useless WEBP format, I won't be able to use this othewise nice commerce site. I needed to be able quickly save my own images and upload them to sites that would add new mockups. But none of the major sites, like Printify, Printful, or Placeit, a new site, will recognize WEBP. Not even Fine Art America! 

Why would Shopify decide to use Latin instead of English is beyond me. Forcing me to simply recapture a file by right-clicking, and then having to paste and resave back to jpg, is the most ridiculous backwards step in image file movement I've seen over the last 25 years! Incredible. Will I bother to save a file as WEBP, copy it to Photoshop, then resave it back to the original jpg, just so I can use it elsewhere? Don't think so.

Replies 8 (8)

Rio
Shopify Staff
294 20 42

Hi, @movies.

Good question. If you upload a file you can actually save it from your files section in Shopify. You should be able to access your files that way. In that section, you can upload and manage the files you want to add to your website. 

You can also use a tool like TinyWow to do many types of conversions for files in case you needed to do any!

Rio | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

movies
Tourist
6 0 1

While uploading a file to the files folder actually adds another step, I can see no connection from a file stored there to the Add Product page. It seems to be used for files related to the website design, like logos, but has no relationship to adding product media. It's simply a storage place. 

On the Add Products page there are only two options to add media, and neither of them can access the uploaded files storage area. I realize that there are separate apps that can be purchased or maybe free, that can convert WEBP files. But that's still another non-intuitive barrier, not much better than copying and resaving from Photoshop. 

If I right click an image from my product page, one that was uploaded as a common jpg, it lets me save it ONLY as:  9eda45a3ef19ab7f33b3448ff78f85aa_b5a7caa6-a1fb-46a4-b75e-3515dc7a7b4e_360x. A WEBP format that can maybe be understood by HAL, in "2001."

Rio
Shopify Staff
294 20 42

Hey, @movies

Thanks for the quick follow-up. 

You can try one of these methods to get around this:

We've done this to transition to Google's WebP image format to increase website speed and help with SEO. WebP is a more modern format that provides superior compression for images on the web. This means faster load times for your customers when viewing your store. 

Rio | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

GemPages
Shopify Partner
5587 1261 1192

Hello @movies 

This is GemPages - A powerful Page Builder. Regarding your question, I would like to give you some recommendations to support you

You can use extension from Google Chrome name "Save image as Type" and save image from Shopify like this 

GemPages_Agents_0-1668052341647.png

Hope my recommendation can works and support for you! Kind & Best regards! GemPages

GemPages - Build any high-converting store pages for any business

- If you find my reply helpful, please hit Like and Mark as Solution
- Get connected: App Store | Blog | Community | Help Center
movies
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but I try to avoid add-ons like extensions whenever I can. Note an article a few months ago, "Are browser extensions safe?"  As it states,

• "Some require access to almost everything your browser sees. Everything from the sites you visit, keystrokes, even your passwords. And while you might install from a reputable source (like the Chrome Web Store), note that extensions are made by thousands of publishers, some smaller (and less respected) than others. It can be hard to tell what’s legit and what’s just a fancy piece of malware. Many browser extensions are safe, but some are malicious and could expose you to fraud and identity theft."

It's one of the reasons I've avoided Wordpress, which requires tons of add-ons by unknowns. In any case, the publisher of add-on apps can modify their app at any time.  For example, in 2018, four Google Chrome extensions were discovered to be secretly using the browser to click on pay-per-click ads. 

movies
Tourist
6 0 1

I'd really like to use Shopify, but as mentioned above, this conversion issue is a major problem. But to get a better grip and maybe solve it, some other questions came up:
1.) Using chrome to view images saved on my computer, it does not display.WEBP images, only a
Chrome icon instead. All my regular .jpgs .pngs show fine.

2) Craigslist, which probably displays a trillion images, will accept WEBP, but does NOT save them as WEBP. Instead, it automatically converts them to .jpg. However, major websites that display and rely on images, do not recognize WEBP. Nor does Photoshop Elements 2020. Fine Art America, which has millions of images to display, does not recognize WEBP.  I can't spend a ton of time checking, but even Edge seems not to.

3) When I browse Shopify templates, I notice that most of them have their images as .jpgs. I've looked at dozens of Shopify site examples posted by other websites, and none of their images use WEBP either. Instead, they use .jpg or .png.

4) Since I sell posters that must have a common format to display on any computer, using a new and still rare used WEBP format would make Google unable to display it either. I've tried to find any images on Google Images, a critical source for searching image-reliant sites, and I gave up. They are all .jpgs or .pngs. The worry is that if Google Images itself can not find images, how will people?

5) That last point added another question. Not everyone includes an alt in their web page images, likely a small minority know how. And my understanding is that Google does use the name of a file to its search. So if I uploaded a photo to my website called "red-dog-on-the-moon.jpg," it would likely use some of those words. However, Shopify converts a .jpg like that to one that was uploaded as an ordinary jpg, it converts it to an unreadable by humans or maybe search: 9eda45a3ef19ab7f33b3448ff78f85aa_b5a7caa6-a1fb-46a4-b75e-3515dc7a7b4e_360x.
Therefore, I'm curious if Google Images itself would ever find that image without an alt, or is Google Images at risk of becoming unusable for what used to be a major search platform.

In any case, most image relevant sites always ask when saving an image from a website which format you want it saved as.  Every graphics program always has a "save as" option also. Yet Shopify does not give a person that choice. Even if the site owner uploads a .jpg, they can not simply right click to save as anything BUT the WEBP.

Any help would be nice. I'd like to use Shopify once most of these questions are cleared up a bit. Thanks again for any feedback. Seems like a lot Shopify experts use this discussion forum.

movies
Tourist
6 0 1

Update: Since a few others seemed to be interested in the same issue, I'm adding a few new details about this. One was how some closely-related ecommerce sites deal with webp. I noticed that Squarespace and Wix also had ecommerce templates. So when I went to inquire about what image formats they use, Squarespace will only accept jpg, png and gif. Same for Wix. They do not accept or even recognize WEBP.  

glimmercollectr
Visitor
1 0 0

I agree with point 5. Can't we define a new url ourselves.