Cool down time for password attempt ?

long22
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I wanted to cancel the subscription and I mistyped the password for a few times then It said "You’ve reached the maximum number of password attempts. Please try again later". May I ask when I can do it again ?

Replies 15 (15)

long22
Visitor
2 0 0

Really really need someone to help me with this problem

kaminarisgres
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey i am having the same issue. Wonder if you managed to get it resolved in the end, and if you could recall how long it took for this restriction to be lifted?

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Hey, @long22!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your password. If you are seeing this message, it means that the login throttle has been applied here. Login attempts are throttled when too many failed attempts are made from the same email address and/or known or unknown devices.

I'm afraid that this is not something that can be sped up or solved by our support team. Shopify has no control over this message, it is applied by the underlying security infrastructure in place on our servers. You will need to wait until that message does not appear anymore in order to log in, or you can try to login from a different IP address. You could also try logging in from a different device to see if that helps! 

We wouldn't have a specific timeframe for when the throttle will be lifted, though it usually takes a few hours before you can attempt to log in again. Also, I would not recommend attempting to log in again while the error message is showing - every new attempt will reset the timer and you'll have to wait another few hours from the time of the least attempt.

Using a different device to log in might work for you here though, let me know how you get on! 

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

gtfv
Visitor
1 0 4

"I would not recommend attempting to log in again while the error message is showing"

"We wouldn't have a specific timeframe for when the throttle will be lifted"

There's a contradiction here: if you can't tell us how long to wait, and you also say we shouldn't try again until the error message isn't showing... Um... How do we know when to try again?

I'm having this problem right now and it simply doesn't work to say we need to wait some unknown amount of time, and at the same time, if we try again too early, you don't recommend that.

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Hi, @gtfv!

Apologies if there was some miscommunication there in my last message. For security reasons, we cannot give an exact timeframe on how long the cooldown period is after an incorrect password has been entered too many times. I do apologize for this, I wish I could be more specific! To err on the side of caution, I would recommend waiting around the 12-hour mark before another login attempt. 

You can also enable two-factor authentication in future to make sure your account is extra secure. If you can't remember your password again in future, you can instead have a code sent to your mobile device that you can use to log in. Just so you won't have to face this issue again.

Let me know what you think! 

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Majed17
5 0 0

I Need help in the same issue.

I was trying shopify for 14 days and i want to cancel my plan fees because it's gonna make me pay the 29$ tomorrow and with this message i don't know what i'm gonna do while i'm pretty sure with my password. I'm very upset. I was planning to comeback to shopify in a while cause at the moment i'm so busy with my studies and i despreatly need my money in my education.

I need your help before you charge me the fees. Hope you understand ! 

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Hi, @Majed17!

I'm sure we can help here, were you able to log into your store yet? There is a guide here you can follow to reset your password, this may help you in this situation! If you can now log in, to close the store:

1. Go to the Settings in your stores Admin sidebar.
2. Next, go to Plans and permissions
3. From there, scroll down to "Pause or Cancel Store".
4. Go to "want to close your store?" and click "Close my Store"
5. Enter your password to complete the process.

After that, you will not be charged again. Just as a note - if you have not entered your credit card details into the admin or selected a subscription plan, you will not be charged any fees once your trial period ends. Our systems will assume you do not want to move ahead with opening the store, and it will close the store for you at the end of the 14 days.

If you were not able to log in yet, but you were already charged for your store, could you contact our support team so we can help you close this store? If you're still having trouble logging in, we can help you with this and we can look into a refund for you if you were charged a fee and closed your store within a short timeframe. 

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, you can visit our Help Centre here and log in to your account to create a support request.

Let me know how you get on with our support team, just so I can be sure this is resolved for you!

AKCHEECH
Visitor
1 0 1

That is hilarious you say don't try it while you get the message as it will reset timer. How do you know when the timer is over. Especially when someone like me has tried contacting support through Chat, and phone and it won't let me. I need to deactivate today in order to not get charged tomorrow and can't get through to support. Can't try my password in fear it will reset. Y'all need to figure out your customer service. 

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi @AKCHEECH - I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm giving Ava a hand today. 

I just wanted to see if you were able to deactivate your store? If not, please let me know what your store URL is so I may assist you further with this.

Looking forward to your reply. 

Holly | Social Care @ Shopify 

BVshopPH
4 0 0

Same issue with me. I am sure I put in my correct password. I need to deactivate the store and not be charged for renewal tomorrow. Pls help bohovinta-ph.myshopify.com

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi @BVshopPH ! Due to the urgency in needing to close your account before billing occurs, I recommend to contact our support team as soon as possible as opposed to waiting for another chance to enter your password. 

Holly | Social Care @ Shopify 

shopZ
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Holly could you help me with  account that’s been set up at the same time as my Shopify I’ve been billed for this me presuming it was for our brand but it appears I’ve been charged for 3 years on the same website 

shopZ
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi I would like o get some support but can’t seem to get hold of anyone. I’ve had a Shopify site now for 3 years and have noticed you have been billing me twice. Could you explain how I can speak to a agent for advise on this matter? 

Abcfefgh
Visitor
1 0 0

I have been billed for $39 because I can't login to deactivate my account because I forgot my password. Can I have a refund for that pls?

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

Hey @Abcfefgh.

Thanks for reaching out.

If you have any questions regarding the billing of your account, we will need to verify you as the store owner to discuss it further. Since we are unable to authenticate over the Community forums due to the sensitive information that is required to be shared, I am unable to view the specifics. In this case, you can get in direct contact with a Support Advisor about the situation by navigating to this URL and completing the form

Once you successfully complete the form, you should see the options to speak directly with our live support. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify