Cost per item, hidden from staff

rainwater
Excursionist
18 0 21

Hello, I am thankful the cost per item is part shopify now. I really do not like my staff knowing all my profit or "cost per item" for my products. In business, you always have to be concerned about your competition. Giving your employees all the information you have worked so hard to build could be a problem. Simply making the cost per item hidden or shown under the permission section would solve this. I really wish this feature would be added. 

Replies 19 (19)

Harel
Shopify Partner
42 1 4

Hey there!

At Staffy- Staff Management App for Shopify we're currently developing new features regarding staff permissions/restrictions - in order to achieve maximum usability without being exposed to sensitive data.

If you would like to check our current feature - we would be more than happy to hear what you think!

Founder of @EasyTeam (https://apps.shopify.com/staffy) - A staff management & payroll platform for Shopify & Shopify POS.
JosQuestions
Tourist
7 0 4

Hi there - Did the Staffy App provide you with a solution to 'hiding the cost price from employees'?

rainwater
Excursionist
18 0 21

I had to add another app. So another never ending monthly fee. Profiteer - cost of goods app. It is a pain to use and would be so easy for shopify to add this to permissions. 

JosQuestions
Tourist
7 0 4

Hi there

Hope you don't mind me asking..... as you still using Profiteer? 

Whilst we wait for Shopify to add this much needed feature (like watching paint dry) I would really like to find another way of managing cost / profit.

Thank you

JessicaBulldog
Tourist
5 0 5

I see this is an old thread now but wondering if anything has changed or if you came up with a solution to this issue? I too would like to give my staff access to restocking my exchanges and returns as well as adding new shipments to the inventory without having them see the “cost per item”. TIA.

Jessica

JosQuestions
Tourist
7 0 4

Hi Jessica

Did you find a solution for this?  I would love to find a way to hide the cost per item too.

Jbabb
Excursionist
28 0 2

Hello

Did any of you found an answer to this?

Thanks!

JosQuestions
Tourist
7 0 4
Hi there

No, this has never been resolved. A real pity as I am planning to move to another web platform so I can hide the cost per item! If you find a solution please let me know.
NYCHICBOUTIQUE
Visitor
2 0 5

I agree this is a key feature that's lacking from Shopify. In addition, I completely disagree with those that call it paranoia to hide this information.  

jmp124
Visitor
1 0 2

I also Agree 

I would like for the users to just see the products orders and not even the price what its sold at especially when you have Tier pricing setup. Shopify is great but limited and still is missing key features to make them a power house. Hiding the cost is also a must the less the staff knows how your business is structured the easier and better in the long run. Non Disclosures will protect you in court but the damage will be already done by then!!!

temmmmmmm
Visitor
1 0 5

Sometimes we have clients asking for this due to internal policies and trade secrets. It would be great to have this feature without being lectured about micromanagement. I

Gmanf
Visitor
1 0 3

Same problem here. After 3 years this feature still need a workaround.

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

still there is no function for it. I contacted the shopify support and asked if the devs can implement this option for us. it is realy just a simple code for shopify to add.

carvercreative
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

My client is asking for this feature. Has anyone been able to custom code this?

Jbabb
Excursionist
28 0 2

I am testing delirious profit app, and they recently added this to the user permissions.

However, if you remove the user's permission to see the cost, that user cannot use the POS, also that user cannot edit SKU and Barcode numbers.

thanks

jkmdf
Excursionist
22 0 13

I think this has FINALLY been added. I just set up a new user (and tested a dummy user) and you can deselect 'view cost/edit cost' when setting up a new user. I tested a dummy user account and it does indeed hide the product cost on product pages.

I can't believe it took this long, or that first response re: micromanaging...that made my blood boil!

alannutttall
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi, I still cant find this feature anywhere. i contacted support and they too said it doesnt exist. Could you provide more info so i can find it?

jkmdf
Excursionist
22 0 13

When you add users, you set their permissions and can select or deselect 'view cost' under Product.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.36.55 pm.png

alannutttall
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks for your reply. I wish they would add this for orders too as its so close to being really useful for me but not quite. I would really like to be able to have my employee see orders without being able to see the price payed