Create Order for an item at a higher price than in Shopify

FabAug
Tourist
4 0 15

Hi, we sell an item in shopify for $5 but sold the same item for someone else outside of shopify for $6. 

How do I register this order in Shopify?

- I cannot change the price to $6 for an item listed in Shopify for $5. I can enter a discount to reduce the price but not to increase it. 

- If I enter the product as a Custom Item, this product is not deducted from my Shopify inventory and is not calculated in the COGS either.

The reason for saving in Shopify is to count as a sale, include in the COGS report, and deduct automatically (not manually) from the inventory . Thank you

Replies 25 (25)

BrianAtWork
Shopify Partner
245 59 184

Hi @FabAug,

I understand that you want to register a sale made outside of Shopify. The sale price of the item ($6) was higher than inside Shopify ($5), but there's no way to edit the price of the item in the Shopify draft order to reflect this. You also want the reports to show this sale correctly.

I don't think there's a way to edit the product price, but I do have an idea for you.

What if you left the product price at $5, and then added the extra $1 as a custom item? That would properly register the sale by deducting inventory levels and taking into account COGS.

Let me know if this solves your problem or if you need further help!

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution  
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

FabAug
Tourist
4 0 15

Hi Brian, 

Thank you for the reply. Your suggestion does help with COGS and inventory level but it would still report an incorrect sale amount for that item. It would record a sale of $5 for my item plus $1 for an extra item. I was looking for a way to properly record the sale in all aspects, otherwise the report from Shopify will not be of much help.

Also, imagine if we sold 20 items outside of shopify with varying prices such as $5.83, $4.12, $8.13 etc with a shopify price of $5.17, $3.88, $7.92 respectively ..... once a week! way too much work just to register this sale. 

Not sure why we can reduce the price but not increase it in the draft order.

If you have any other ideas please let me know. We'd like to keep all in shopify if possible.

drinkrhythm
Tourist
12 0 0

ever figure this out?

FabAug
Tourist
4 0 15
No. Only option so far is to create an extra item as suggested by Shopify.
Tinselworm
Explorer
48 0 21

We've been dealing with this issue since we moved to Shopify in 2018. Our store processes lots of orders with custom pricing. We have a price calculator on the front end which does this automatically for most customers. However, there are inevitably orders that we need to raise manually via the back end (draft orders), usually when a sale is arranged via email or over the phone.

The upshot is, many times daily we have to add a custom item and manually type in the description and price. I do it so many times that Chrome knows what I'm going to type and usually suggests the correct description, but it's not a great solution.

It's such a frustratingly simple problem that could be resolved by adapting the "Discount this item by..." box to something like "Customise this price..." and giving the option to either discount or increase the price accordingly.

It's another example of a basic feature missing from Shopify. I just cannot understand how a 10 year old platform is missing something like this; unless it's a feature of enterprise or something? 

Stylordboutique
Tourist
3 0 15

This feature is strongly needed!!

Jocelyn21
Tourist
7 0 8

Shopify, please get this sorted.  Such a basic need here.  Custom items fail to bring over product tags and other attributes important for reporting.  Workarounds look silly on invoices and packing slips for customers.  If you can have a discount why can't you have an adjustment option to add to the price instead of reducing it? 

inksnstuffltd
Visitor
1 0 3

Our team has been struggling with this issue since migrating all of our corporations to Shopify stores. It is a huge headache and should be pretty simple for a programmer at Shopify to sort out especially with so many people being impacted.

They will probably leave it as an issue until someone comes up with an app that will then be required like so many other issues with Shopify!

mariajohns
Visitor
2 0 0

@FabAug wrote:

Hi Brian, 

Thank you for the reply. Your suggestion does help with COGS and inventory level but it would still report an incorrect sale amount for that item. It would record a sale of $5 for my item plus $1 for an extra item. I was looking for a way to properly record the sale in all aspects, otherwise the report from Shopify will not be of much help.

Also, imagine if we sold 20 items outside of shopify with varying prices such as $5.83, $4.12, $8.13 etc with a shopify price of $5.17, $3.88, $7.92 respectively ..... once a week! way too much work just to register this sale. 

Not sure why we can reduce the price but not increase it in the draft order.

If you have any other ideas please let me know. We'd like to keep all in shopify if possible.

thanks , clear my point too.

hippo
Visitor
1 0 4

Such a basic feature, and still no real solution, several years down the road? I sell on other platforms as well, one of which has no integration with Shopify. For reasons such as additional selling fees and that other platform being quite inflexible with taxes and other market differences, I need to sell at a higher price there. But I keep my stock at Shopify, and it is really just not a good solution to add a custom item with extra charges. Looks incredibly messy and unprofessional to the customer. Please fix this, Shopify.

Foamcell
Visitor
2 0 6

How can we make Shopify fix this? Any suggestions?

CWilliams
Visitor
2 0 4

I guess we are still waiting on this basic feature? This is a basic feature in BigCommerce.

osbs
Visitor
2 0 1

This is one of the many things I miss from leaving BigCommerce.

Check us out at onestopboardshop.com!

mcsoftware
Tourist
4 0 1

Looks like this app would allow you to reprice a draft order for those customers so you dont need to apply a discount and can make the price higher: https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper

We build & fix websites.
https://mycustomsoftware.com
@husbandwhodoeswebsites on Instagram

Kevin_Wells
Excursionist
14 0 21

I agree, I am not sure why it won't allow you to put prices higher then the original price.  We run Shopify POS and have loadable gift cards for Sony which are $25 to $100 that you can load on them.  We have to put the sku in at $100 in order to allow our guys to discount it down to the $25 if that is all the customer wants.  We also do trades with our customers and they don't get the sale that is currently being run.  The sale is automatically reflected in our POS system and you aren't allowed to raise the price to correct it.  

My understanding is that they are trying to prevent people from typing in a higher price to solve issues that don't exist.  Just give us access to overriding a price to a higher price if we want to.  If we mess up then we mess up.  But taking away an option like that doesn't make sense.

justinpfister
Visitor
1 0 9

It's kind of absurd that we can't increase pricing. The situation pops up to increase/decrease prices all the time in every business I've ever been in. Basic situation - a customer calls or wants to order a basic service and product. Things develop where the product needs to be increased in price and the customer agrees on the price.  Could be a $1-2 increase per unit, 10%.  it doesn't really matter. Regardless -- the customer really doesn't need to see a "FEE" or extra charge on their order. That's just asking for a negative customer experience. It is REALLY helpful to be able to allow for price adjustments on draft orders in BOTH directions. 

bryanro
Excursionist
24 0 31

We also have a need for this. One major consideration is sales reporting... Sales reports will not be consistent for custom orders if custom items are used instead of products from the inventory. We need to be able to create a custom order and add products from our inventory, and then change the price as needed. 

Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

Pama
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

This actually really makes me upset and disapointed, this sound like a very simple solution but Shopify hasnt been able to implement this  after 3 years..

JohnFromMurdock
Tourist
4 0 8

Shopify this is ridiculous just make the price field editable on Draft Orders.

Jpfister
Visitor
1 0 3

It shows how disconnected Shopify is from people who actually use and run e-commerce. It's horrible - I prepaid for Shopify for an entire year and won't even consider using it until this feature is fixed.  

Foamcell
Visitor
2 0 6

Shopify, please make the price field editable on Draft Orders. It is an essential feature for ecommerce! We constantly quote and sell products for higher prices than their assigned SKU price. Please read this thread.

Elrendio
Shopify Partner
14 0 5

It seems that a workaround is to use the old REST api, directly posting an order.

That allows customizing line item prices *while* specifying a variant id.

Killian1234
Tourist
5 0 1

I don't know if this would work for you guys, but my way right now is to apply the product's listed price as the draft order's applied discount (fixed amount) (so full discount), and then add a custom line item with the new price (so it could be whatever price you wish, higher or lower), this way it would be easier than BrianAtWork's suggestion?

I have tried writing the draft order price along with the variant ID with Rest API as well but I don't think it works, it is taking the originally listed price of the product instead of the actual stated price.

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
163 9 46

Hi FabAug and other merchants facing this issue,

I have recently added a feature to my Draftable app (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper), which allow adjustment of price of line items in a draft order, you can set a higher price for the item in the draft order (higher than the price listed on your store).

After installing the app, you can go to your draft order, and select "More actions" > "Increase item prices", then you can select the items which you want to increase prices, and input the new prices and click "Apply".

The items in the draft order will then have this new price applied, and the product price listing on your store  will remain unchanged.
markup.pngincrease_price1.pngincrease_price2.png

Hope this can help! The Draftable app (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper) has a free plan which you can try this feature out.

Regards,

Axel Kee (developer of the Draft Order Helper app)

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog

shockseals
Tourist
6 0 5

Over 4 years later and still nothing to manually increase the price of an item on a draft order. What are you guys at Shopify doing to help users?