Custom Contact us form with multiple email address

TechWishes
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Hello, I want to create custom contact-us from which will contain a dropdown with two or three options. Now I want to attach different three email addresses with the three different options in dropdown. When user choose option A their query will be sent to email A and for option B their query will be sent to email B and so on. Is it possible to do in shopify ? This is not a plus store.

Replies 4 (4)

Jason
Shopify Expert
11190 225 2283

Plan type doesn't impact on the functionality. Emails via the default contact form are not able to be routed to different addresses. If that's a must have feature you'd need to loo into third party form tools.

Another option would be to look at email rules in whatever email software/system you use. For example you might be able to create a rule that forwards and email to a different address based on the text contained within the email. The option the customer chooses in the form will be something a filter like that could see. Worth exploring to save any custom development or use of third party tools.

★ I jump on these forums in my free time to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work. http://freakdesign.com.au ★

Shay
Shopify Staff
2830 442 576

Hi @TechWishes 

Welcome to the Shopify Community and thank you for sharing your question with us here. I really like this question, I can see how this could be very beneficial, especially for a store with a lot of incoming customer emails. While I am not a developer myself I did touch base with our theme support team to see what they would suggest in this case. 

TLDR: Yes, this can be done by hardcoding the specific email addresses into the custom form (or using an app to create the custom field for you) but it is not recommended.

The reason we don't recommend this as a solution for your email forwarding needs is because this method leaves your various emails open to scraping, which can lead to a lot of incoming spam flooding your inboxes and making it difficult to support your actual customers. 

@Jason suggestion about email forwarding based on keywords is also what our theme support team suggested. They recommended adding a custom field to create a TOPIC for the email that can then be setup for email forwarding to your preferred email accounts. Many online email services provide this kind of feature at no cost to you. You can reach out to your email host or check their own Help Center to see what email forwarding options are available. 

If you are using a free Shopify theme you may be eligible for design support time from our theme support. If you are, you can contact our Live Support to create a ticket and they can escalate your request to our theme support team to review. I can't guarantee that this will be supported, but it's definitely worth considering!

If you have any other questions we can help with please let us know.

-Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Matt47
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi Shay

Could you point me in the direction of how I would do this please? - "Yes, this can be done by hardcoding the specific email addresses into the custom form"

Many thanks!

Matt

ivandurst
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

The original poster's ask can not be done by hardcoding emails in a select dropdown element. While the email addresses will show up and will be able to be selected in the dropdown, the form submits to a page on Shopify's server that sends the email to the one you use as the default in the Shopify system. There is no way to override this. You can create your own handler page on your own server (for example handler.php) that has the logic to conditionally send your form to one of the emails, but you will have to write that logic yourself (and may run into CORS errors).