Customer account logins not working

drsales
Tourist
6 0 6

Hi We have had several complaints from customers saying they opened an account but now cannot login.

This has been going on for over a year. 

1. It seems like on some orders we do not have the option to resend an invitation.

2. When we try to add the customer it says the email is already taken.

What is the problem?

Some comments from customers below

"I checked the email I used before and that was okay, but your system wouldn't let me reset the password."

I am unable to log-in. Tried to reset the password but it says "No account found with that email.

Replies 32 (32)

drsales
Tourist
6 0 6

Any ideas?

drsales
Tourist
6 0 6

bump

drsales
Tourist
6 0 6

bump

sgdg
Visitor
1 0 0

We have the same issue. Have you received any solutions?

MOOSASILWADI
4 0 0

I Also fond:

A. that when longing in, there is no indication that you are logged in except (Log out) usually it should mention the name of who is logging in, example : HELLO JOHN.

B. This will help the customer if they have more than one account OR the computer is used by more than one customer.

C. I also Found when creating a new account and there is a previous accounts, the email and the password of the last user is there and not deleted. all provisions should be blank. the only blank provisions are the first name and last name.

D. now when clicking on the Account to sign in, shopify takes you form LOG IN PAGE to MY ACCOUNT PAGE

the information in the MY ACCOUNT PAGE does not show your name and addresses you did while checking out and than abandon cart. what you see in MY ACCOUNT PAGE is ACCOUNT DETAILS with view addresses zero and you need to update it manually.

bakemegood
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi,

Did any one find a fix for this?

I know it's a cache issue. Customers using multiple accounts from the same device are facing it.
But I cannot explain this to the customers. Please help.

oncemore
Tourist
3 0 1

Apparently we have stumped the entire shopify guru community...

CopaceticOlivia
Visitor
2 0 1
I am having the same issue. Very inconvenient
VAIRAL
Visitor
1 0 1

I have the same issue. Is it a coding problem? I don't even know what coding is lol

CopaceticOlivia
Visitor
2 0 1

Mine ended up being a coding error. Fixed it just by removing an app

anandlulla
Visitor
1 0 0

May I know which was the app that was causing the issue. Or alternately, could you please share what was the coding error as we have the same issue.

mattNOOMA
Tourist
6 0 0

Bump! Having the same issue. How has there been no feedback on this yet?

alexhigham
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey I launched my store this week and have had so so many people say they're having these issues! HELP PLEASE!

Lisa_E
Shopify Expert
5 0 4

The login flow depends on the customers account state.  The state can be:

• disabled: The customer doesn't have an active account. Customer accounts can be disabled from the Shopify admin at any time.
  • invited: The customer has received an email invite to create an account.
  • enabled: The customer has created an account.
  • declined: The customer declined the email invite to create an account

If a customer's account is enabled, they can use the account login form or the password reset form, both will work just fine.

If the customers account is disabled (they've never been invited) or invited (they been invited but not accepted the invitation yet) then they need to use the account registration form.  When they try to create an account they will see a message like:

We have sent an email to your_email@example.com, please click the link included to verify your email address.

The problem occurs when a customer who is disabled, believes they have an account and they try to use the login or reset password forms.  The error response they will see on that form is:

Incorrect email or password.

Which we've found can be source of the confusion.  One solution is to replace that message with a bit more context.  On your customers/login.liquid template, find this line:

{{ form.errors | default_errors }}

And replace it with something like this:

{% if form.errors %}
  {% for field in form.errors %}
    {% if form.errors.messages[field] contains "Incorrect email or password." %}
      <div class="errors">
        <h3>Incorrect email or password.</h3>
        <p>If you've already placed an order but this is your first time logging in to your account, you may need to activate your account:</p>
        <p>{{ 'Click here to try activating your account' | customer_register_link }}</p>
        <p>Or, <a href="mailto:{{ shop.email }}?subject=Help Logging in">Email Us</a> .</p>
      </div>
    {% else %}
      {{ form.errors | default_errors }}
    {% endif %}
  {% endfor %}
{% endif %}

Then customers will see this error message instead:

Incorrect email or password.

If you've already placed an order but this is your first time logging in to your account, you may need to activate your account:
Click here to try activating your account
Or, Email Us.

VintageAlchemy
Tourist
8 0 18

Having issues with this. Customer has an enabled account. Can't log in and the password reset isn't working. When I send it from my side, she never receives it. She has checked her Spam as well. 

Lisa_E
Shopify Expert
5 0 4

@VintageAlchemy wrote:

Having issues with this. Customer has an enabled account. Can't log in and the password reset isn't working. When I send it from my side, she never receives it. She has checked her Spam as well. 

Sounds daft, but have you checked that the email address in Shopify is correct? A typo in the account email address would explain this.

dan_cashmer
Tourist
10 0 10

this isn't 'daft'.  I'm having the same exact problem.  Within the past 6 months suddenly, people who are good repeat customers can't log into their accounts, they cant reset the password.  My work around has been to disable the account and then send an invite to recreate the account.  The bigger problem is I have no idea how many customers this is affecting.  Not all of them tell me they have issues.  Some people may just be giving up and are skipping ordering from me.

To insult your users and tell them the issues they're having with YOUR system is 'daft', is beyond irresponsible.

kprichter
Visitor
1 0 1

I think she meant her suggestion might sound 'daft' or silly...not @VintageAlchemy's concern.  Maybe I misundersood. 

suhana
Visitor
1 0 0

I am pretty new to shopify. My customers are unable to reset their account password. It shows the message :

• No account found with that email.

The email id is valid. The customers receive reset password link when I send a reset link from admin.

I tried this but it doesn't work for me

vwynters
Visitor
1 0 0
Now having this issue too. Imported my customers from Wix and none of them can login, sign up or reset passwords

Denson79
Visitor
1 0 0

We have the same problem here. Do you find any solution for that? 

Bettmo
Visitor
2 0 1

As a customer on another shopify store I have been trying to login into my account and I keep getting the wrong email/password message.  When I attempt to reset my password I get caught in a loop of entering my email and and the security check. 

SirensongJamie
Visitor
2 0 0

Same as above - as a customer, cannot log in.  After checking the I'm not a Robot' box, the green checkmark appears, but then nothing happens...cannot click submit, cannot do anything.  

Shopify gurus -- help!

kelpisgoodforu
Tourist
6 0 1

Having the same problem.

A customer who has placed orders in the past on our site is now trying to log in but they're getting an error message "no account found with that email" when they try to re-set their password.

Account invites have been sent to this customer, but they don't appear to work.

Note that another suggestion above indicated that somehow the account must be reactivated. How is that accomplished, aside from the customer receiving an email on their end?

It is not a viable solution to have to re-send emails to busy customers who have already ordered so that they can sign in to re-order.

Tried contacting Shopify chat customer support yesterday, and the agent indicated that it was a Locksmith app problem, but we have locksmith controlling what signed-in customers see (and have no problems so far), not whether or not Shopify recognizes an account email address that has been active in the past, and is now mysteriously somehow deactivated.

Next course of action is to search for different ways to dig into settings to somehow reactivate accounts manually. Then we will have to try and figure out how many of our customer accounts are deactivated so that we can reactivate them.

We have also reached out to Locksmith. Impossible to know how many orders we've lost with customers not being able to log in and giving up when they can't get their email address to be recognized.

NicoSpoke
Shopify Partner
16 0 8

February 2022, and this issue still exists....

We have weekly complaints from customers not being able to login with the same credentials the've always used. The login form throws a validation error of "form", which if we follow Shopify's documentation means that this is an error "used as a general error in cases where a more specific error cannot be provided”. This doesn't help us in any way so by default we have to assume that the error is either email or password being wrong. 

I can't figure out a way to solve this. When trying to access the customerAccessToken for the customer via the API I get a "Undefined Customer" error response. Again, the most unhelpful error message ever. 

It would be great from Shopify to address this issue heads on, instead of directing users to documentation 
that doesn't help or pretending the number of stores (and customers) affected by this is too small to do anything about it. 

Building digital interfaces for Shopify Stores
SteveLionsPride
Tourist
3 0 9

It's now March 1, 2022 and still no real solution!

kelpisgoodforu
Tourist
6 0 1

Same here. The only way to partially check into the problem is by going into my customer list and verifying that my most frequent customers are on the "active" list. The problem of course is that there is no clear list of customers who have been affected.

I went through Shopify help and the guru acknowledged that it's a known problem, but we never arrived at a solution beyond tracking a specific customer where the issue had arisen, but they were unable to provide me with specifics on what other customers might be affected.

My hunch:

if the administrator (me in this case) manually changes the email associated with a customer account at any point, or initiates contact with the customer by manually entering a draft invoice and sending it, that's where the problem may be. While this used to work, some kind of recent programming changes at Shopify have corrupted customer email access to their account if an "activate my account' email hasn't been completed for an updated/edited email address, or for a sale that was initiated with a draft invoice. 

Does that make sense? I think that explains why Shopify is doing nothing about this specific issue because it is something to do with compliance that has changed around spam/unsolicited email. (if the administrator can change/update an email address without customer official email consent, it's going against spam regulations). Again, this is just my suspicion.

Does that align with your experience at all? (i.e. have you manually changed email addresses for customers before?) The confusion is that I think it used to be fine to make those administrator address edits, but now it doesn't work.

My solution currently is to paste the more detailed error message in one of the messages above into the liquid template so when an existing customer tries to log in, they'll not just be told their email isn't recognized, but instead it will let them know that they need to request a password re-set to reactivate their access. HTH

WPM
Visitor
2 0 1

Add another store to the list suffering this problem. I've flagged this thread to Shopify support and instructed them it's in their interest to ID the source of the problem, be that a change they have made, a bad app or theme-related coding issue and feedback to us. 

We have 30 customers with this error now and it always seems to be account activation related. Customers who have checked out successfully and set a password are then told their account can't be accessed.  Sending an Account Activation appears to fix the problem.

We have no way of knowing how many customers are bailing out and never shopping again because of this bug.

JessByrne
Visitor
1 0 0

We are also having this issue. We just moved to Shopify from another system. We had customers create all new accounts because I had heard there were a lot of issues with trying to import customer account info and signing in so none of our customers were imported. This is a very frustrating situation because our customers want to sign in to earn their loyalty points for shopping but we have had a lot that cannot.  At least a dozen ladies have contacted us with this issue since we changed over just 3 weeks ago. @Shopify  see this thread. 

James_Herrieven
Tourist
4 0 3

Could this be related:

https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/misleading-error-message-your-account-couldn-t-b...

The only solution we've found so far is to check the email status against HIBP (https://haveibeenpwned.com/), and then change the customer email address if there are over 10 breaches.

ewright
Visitor
1 0 1

Did anyone ever get an answer for this? I just activated customer accounts, and almost immediately had 2 people have an issue activating. Steps were as followed - 

Customer set up their account

Customer was sent activation email - button clicks to this link, which doesn't appear to exist (tested on my end as well) https://cheekyfishing.com/tools/emails/click/customer-account-invite/9/button/activate-account?url=h... 

Customer tries in incognito browser, etc - continued to be taken to above blank web page when trying to activate

I've also tried sending the activation and password reset emails, but this doesn't resolve the problem. Can someone from @Shopify  assist?

indigoandjade
Tourist
5 0 0

Same issue here