Customer account logins not working

drsales
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi We have had several complaints from customers saying they opened an account but now cannot login.

This has been going on for over a year. 

1. It seems like on some orders we do not have the option to resend an invitation.

2. When we try to add the customer it says the email is already taken.

What is the problem?

Some comments from customers below

"I checked the email I used before and that was okay, but your system wouldn't let me reset the password."

I am unable to log-in. Tried to reset the password but it says "No account found with that email.

Replies 29 (29)
drsales
Tourist
6 0 3

Any ideas?

drsales
Tourist
6 0 3

bump

drsales
Tourist
6 0 3

bump

sgdg
1 0 0

We have the same issue. Have you received any solutions?

MOOSASILWADI
2 0 0

I Also fond:

A. that when longing in, there is no indication that you are logged in except (Log out) usually it should mention the name of who is logging in, example : HELLO JOHN.

B. This will help the customer if they have more than one account OR the computer is used by more than one customer.

C. I also Found when creating a new account and there is a previous accounts, the email and the password of the last user is there and not deleted. all provisions should be blank. the only blank provisions are the first name and last name.

D. now when clicking on the Account to sign in, shopify takes you form LOG IN PAGE to MY ACCOUNT PAGE

the information in the MY ACCOUNT PAGE does not show your name and addresses you did while checking out and than abandon cart. what you see in MY ACCOUNT PAGE is ACCOUNT DETAILS with view addresses zero and you need to update it manually.

bakemegood
2 0 1

Hi,

Did any one find a fix for this?

I know it's a cache issue. Customers using multiple accounts from the same device are facing it.
But I cannot explain this to the customers. Please help.

oncemore
Tourist
3 0 1

Apparently we have stumped the entire shopify guru community...

CopaceticOlivia
2 0 1
I am having the same issue. Very inconvenient
VAIRAL
1 0 1

I have the same issue. Is it a coding problem? I don't even know what coding is lol

CopaceticOlivia
2 0 1

Mine ended up being a coding error. Fixed it just by removing an app

anandlulla
1 0 0

May I know which was the app that was causing the issue. Or alternately, could you please share what was the coding error as we have the same issue.

mattNOOMA
Tourist
4 0 0

Bump! Having the same issue. How has there been no feedback on this yet?

alexhigham
2 0 0

Hey I launched my store this week and have had so so many people say they're having these issues! HELP PLEASE!

Lisa_E
Shopify Expert
5 0 3

The login flow depends on the customers account state.  The state can be:

• disabled: The customer doesn't have an active account. Customer accounts can be disabled from the Shopify admin at any time.
  • invited: The customer has received an email invite to create an account.
  • enabled: The customer has created an account.
  • declined: The customer declined the email invite to create an account

If a customer's account is enabled, they can use the account login form or the password reset form, both will work just fine.

If the customers account is disabled (they've never been invited) or invited (they been invited but not accepted the invitation yet) then they need to use the account registration form.  When they try to create an account they will see a message like:

We have sent an email to your_email@example.com, please click the link included to verify your email address.

The problem occurs when a customer who is disabled, believes they have an account and they try to use the login or reset password forms.  The error response they will see on that form is:

Incorrect email or password.

Which we've found can be source of the confusion.  One solution is to replace that message with a bit more context.  On your customers/login.liquid template, find this line:

{{ form.errors | default_errors }}

And replace it with something like this:

{% if form.errors %}
  {% for field in form.errors %}
    {% if form.errors.messages[field] contains "Incorrect email or password." %}
      <div class="errors">
        <h3>Incorrect email or password.</h3>
        <p>If you've already placed an order but this is your first time logging in to your account, you may need to activate your account:</p>
        <p>{{ 'Click here to try activating your account' | customer_register_link }}</p>
        <p>Or, <a href="mailto:{{ shop.email }}?subject=Help Logging in">Email Us</a> .</p>
      </div>
    {% else %}
      {{ form.errors | default_errors }}
    {% endif %}
  {% endfor %}
{% endif %}

Then customers will see this error message instead:

Incorrect email or password.

If you've already placed an order but this is your first time logging in to your account, you may need to activate your account:
Click here to try activating your account
Or, Email Us.

VintageAlchemy
Tourist
8 0 18

Having issues with this. Customer has an enabled account. Can't log in and the password reset isn't working. When I send it from my side, she never receives it. She has checked her Spam as well. 

Lisa_E
Shopify Expert
5 0 3

@VintageAlchemy wrote:

Having issues with this. Customer has an enabled account. Can't log in and the password reset isn't working. When I send it from my side, she never receives it. She has checked her Spam as well. 

Sounds daft, but have you checked that the email address in Shopify is correct? A typo in the account email address would explain this.

Denson79
1 0 0

We have the same problem here. Do you find any solution for that? 

Bettmo
2 0 1

As a customer on another shopify store I have been trying to login into my account and I keep getting the wrong email/password message.  When I attempt to reset my password I get caught in a loop of entering my email and and the security check. 

SirensongJamie
1 0 0

Same as above - as a customer, cannot log in.  After checking the I'm not a Robot' box, the green checkmark appears, but then nothing happens...cannot click submit, cannot do anything.  

Shopify gurus -- help!