Customer pay with a Purchase Order #

Wade_Benz
1 0 0

We have customers who need to enter in 3 fields for a purchase order with cost centers. Is there a way to do this at checkout?

For example they would choose to pay via Purchase order and enter in the three codes?

thanks!

Replies 7 (7)
Aaron
Shopify Staff
235 0 56

Hey, Wade!

My name is Aaron, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

Sure thing!  You can set up a purchase order as a payment method - our guide on creating a custom payment method is right over here!  

Getting those additional information fields is a little trickier; they can't be added to the checkout, as checkout pages are pretty locked down to prevent any possibility of malicious code or errors sneaking in there for either yourself or your customers.  There's a couple things you could do to work around this:

• You could, as in the example on the custom payment methods, include payment instructions - you could encourage your customers to reach out to you in an email with the needed info;
  • Alternately, you could include in this section a link for a custom contact form that they could fill out and submit (there's instructions here on creating a contact form, and a guide on creating custom fields for that form right over here);
  • Finally, you could add those fields to the cart page.  This happens before the checkout, so you'd need to make it clear to your customers that they need to fill out the relevant information before proceeding to the shipping and payment information; you can also make these fields mandatory, if all your customers will be checking out using this method.  The full guide on doing so is right over here!

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to give us a call or start a live chat at any time, we're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Aaron | Shopify Guru

Aaron | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mlttroy
1 0 0

Aaron,

I am 6 months into finalizing our new eCommerce website with Shopify.  I can't believe an eCommerce platform does not have 'hooks' for Purchase Order payment methods as a standard feature and workflow for processing orders online.  If you accept PO's, you have to be able to distinguish between customers with and without approved credit terms. 

Please tell me this is not true!!

Thanks, T

nickt
3 0 0

Agreed. I'm looking for a way to expose Purchase Order as a payment method, but only if the customer has been approved for terms (using a custom checkbox on the customer record)

andersweaver12
2 0 0

I desperately need this option. 

258b4e14f2
Tourist
9 0 2
Purchase orders are really just authorizations from the company to purchase a specific set of products. It is an assurance to your vendor that you have permission to place the order, so the vendor can bill you later for the purchase.
258b4e14f2
Tourist
9 0 2
Purchase orders are really just authorizations from the company to purchase a specific set of products. It is an assurance to your vendor that you have permission to place the order, so the vendor can bill you later Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 for the purchase. It is an assurance to your vendor
cristase
5 0 0

Hey All! 

I've been in need of this feature as well. I've found a work around for it that may be helpful. I use the app Request a Quote Hide Prices (https://apps.shopify.com/request-for-quote-by-omega?#modal-show=ReviewListingModal). I change the verbage from "Quote" to "Purchase Order". The checkout isn't on the normal checkout page, but in a pop up form though. 

This works because:

A) you can add a required field to this form for the PO Number if you require this for your client 

B) you can enable this by product or by customer tag so only your PO enabled customers can use it (the "add to cart button" and "add to Purchase order" are both visible so your customers can still checkout normally, or using a PO. There's just a little bit of customer training that needs to happen here)

C) When the quote or PO comes in, it comes in as a draft order that you can easily push to a regular order once you've marked it paid, or send the invoice to the customer and it's paid by them.

D) The customer service is great. I had an issue connecting my email because my companies email is extra secure and Joy from their CS team spoke with me over several days to try to get it connected correctly.

I hope this helps!