Customers Accounts from Magento Import

Fred_Wood
Excursionist
72 0 5

Hi, 

I have just imported my customers from Magento. 

How do I re-set their passwords so they can login to my new Shopify site?

Do I send them an email asking them to 'request a new password' from my shopify site.? 

Then once they have set the password they can login to my shopify site?

Replies 4 (4)
David_Woods
Shopify Staff
69 1 7

Hi Fred, 

David here, Shopify Guru. 

I imported a few customers into my own store to do a test for you. 

As you mentioned, sending a password reset to the customers should work perfectly fine in this situation. The customers will receive an email to the account you have listed for them which will look a little like this: 

Clicking this will bring them to a password reset page which will let them Reset their password and log into their account. (The password reset page look depends on that your theme has) 

If you'd like to give the customers some context for the reason they are receiving the email. Some changes can be made to the email that they are sent out through the Settings  > Notifications area. If you edit the 'Customer Account Password Reset' template here, you can edit what the customer will see when they receive this email.

It takes some HTML edits, I'd suggest backing up and saving the default template listed there :) 

Have a nice weekend! 
David W | Shopify Guru 

David | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Fred_Wood
Excursionist
72 0 5

Hi, 

Thanks for that, but it doesn't work. 

I tested with my own customer account and it states 'there isn't a customer with this email ID' 

See here: https://screencast.com/t/PCfiWV2kf9

And this is the customer imported: https://screencast.com/t/pkeTUm04e6 - the order showing is an historial one also imported.

I am not sure why this isn't working, could you investigate and fix please 

AnnieGreen
Excursionist
14 0 5

Hi @Fred_Wood 

It's been years since the question emerged, but may many are still struggling to find a proper answer to this problem. It's great to know that customer password can now be migrated smoothly if you choose to reach out for LitExtension. Along with having developed an automated migration tool that can transfer all your data from your Magento to Shopify, they provide the Customer Password Migration Plugin to fulfill your need.

This Plugin allows you to migrate customer password from your current eCommerce platform to a new one. Therefore, customers can possibly log-in to new site normally without having to reset password or creating a new account. You can clearly see how this will benefit you since your customers experience won't be interrupted visiting your new store thus keeping their satisfaction. Refer to this guideline article so you can learn how to install the plugin.

Should you have any question, feel free to contact them anytime.

Annie

Airofoil
1 0 0

Hi @AnnieGreen has this been done successfully before with Shopify?

My research has led me to (if managing an unencrypted password export firstly) Shopify inevitably still wanting an Account Activation/Re-activation

(and it being possible but phaps not without Account Activation)