Customizing Checkout

Solved
heavens2
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi - We are currently on the basic Shopify plan. If we were to upgrade to the plus plan, would we have the ability to customize the checkout process? Specifically, we would like to add a condition where the customer has to acknowledge that they are clear on what they’re receiving from us before being allowed to check out. Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Kimi
Shopify Staff
218 29 57

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @heavens2!

Would the condition that you mention appear on checkout in the form of a terms and conditions checkbox? So customers would be required to tick this checkbox before being able to successfully proceed with placing their order? If that's the case, this is something that you'd be able to add if your store is on the Shopify Plus plan. You can check our developer document here for best practices on editing the checkout.liquid layout. On the very bottom of that page, you'll be able to get more information on how this feature can be implemented.

It's important to note that if you make changes to the checkout.liquid layout of your store, you'll need to manually upgrade it whenever Shopify releases an update.

Was there any other features of our Shopify Plus plan, apart from being able to edit the checkout of your store, that you'd be interested in? The reason that I ask is because alternatively, you can also look into adding the terms and conditions checkbox to your cart page, rather than on your checkout. This customisation is available on the Basic plan too, so you won't have to look into upgrading your Shopify plan if you're happy with sticking to your current one. This feature requires that customers check the terms and conditions box before continuing to the checkout. If a customer doesn't check the checkbox before clicking the checkout button, an alert pop up will prevent them from continuing.

If you're comfortable with coding, we have a step by step tutorial here on our Community Forums on how you can implement this feature to your store's theme. Because this is an advanced tutorial however, it isn't supported by Shopify staff, but you can hire a Shopify Expert if you aren't comfortable following the steps in the tutorial.

Alternatively, to help with this customisation, you can also install a third-party app from our Shopify app store such as the Terms and Conditions Checkbox App, or the Agree Terms and Conditions App. Just a note however that these apps are made by third-party developers outside of Shopify. So if you have any questions about them I would recommend getting in touch with the app developers, as they are best equipped to answer app-specific queries.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)
Kimi
Shopify Staff
218 29 57

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @heavens2!

Would the condition that you mention appear on checkout in the form of a terms and conditions checkbox? So customers would be required to tick this checkbox before being able to successfully proceed with placing their order? If that's the case, this is something that you'd be able to add if your store is on the Shopify Plus plan. You can check our developer document here for best practices on editing the checkout.liquid layout. On the very bottom of that page, you'll be able to get more information on how this feature can be implemented.

It's important to note that if you make changes to the checkout.liquid layout of your store, you'll need to manually upgrade it whenever Shopify releases an update.

Was there any other features of our Shopify Plus plan, apart from being able to edit the checkout of your store, that you'd be interested in? The reason that I ask is because alternatively, you can also look into adding the terms and conditions checkbox to your cart page, rather than on your checkout. This customisation is available on the Basic plan too, so you won't have to look into upgrading your Shopify plan if you're happy with sticking to your current one. This feature requires that customers check the terms and conditions box before continuing to the checkout. If a customer doesn't check the checkbox before clicking the checkout button, an alert pop up will prevent them from continuing.

If you're comfortable with coding, we have a step by step tutorial here on our Community Forums on how you can implement this feature to your store's theme. Because this is an advanced tutorial however, it isn't supported by Shopify staff, but you can hire a Shopify Expert if you aren't comfortable following the steps in the tutorial.

Alternatively, to help with this customisation, you can also install a third-party app from our Shopify app store such as the Terms and Conditions Checkbox App, or the Agree Terms and Conditions App. Just a note however that these apps are made by third-party developers outside of Shopify. So if you have any questions about them I would recommend getting in touch with the app developers, as they are best equipped to answer app-specific queries.

View solution in original post

heavens2
Tourist
12 0 1
Thanks! I chose the first app you recommended.
Kimi
Shopify Staff
218 29 57

@heavens2

No worries at all, and great choice!