Direct Messaging Members in Shopify Community

Solved
ActUpMedia
Tourist
3 0 1

Is there a way to direct message or email a member that's participating in the Shopify Community Discussion? There's a thread I am following and someone seems to have a close idea to a solution I am needing but they haven't participated in a while. I was thinking it would be good to possibly email them directly to see if they could assist me.

Thanks!

TyW
Community Manager
Community Manager
550 37 954

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ActUpMedia

We offer private messaging but users must opt-in to the feature in order to send or receive private messages. 

To opt-in click on your avatar in the top right followed by My Settings. Within click Private Messenger to review the agreement followed by Accept. After doing this you'll see a new envelope icon appear in the top right corner next to your avatar. 

If a member has opted in when you click on their username you'll see a Send a message below their current avatar.

I hope this helps! 

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ActUpMedia
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks... that worked.

0 Likes
LuckyPennyPress
Tourist
3 0 1

Is this still the correct method? I'm not seeing the "Private Messages" option in settings. Incidentally, it's you @TyW  I'm trying to message!

0 Likes
TyW
Community Manager
Community Manager
550 37 954

@LuckyPennyPress wrote:

Is this still the correct method? I'm not seeing the "Private Messages" option in settings. Incidentally, it's you @TyW  I'm trying to message!

Due to PM spammers we had to implement some checks and balances before the PM feature is available to new users. 

I can't share the specifics or the spammers will know but you just hit the requirements so PM has been turned on automatically for you. 

fant
Tourist
4 0 1

Hmm, I can't see the "Private Messages" option either

LowSpark
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi:

I just subscribed and am trying to contact a community member who has a code work around for a problem I'm facing. I've followed the "solution"offered but can't seem to find anywhere to activate direct messaging in my account so I'm stuck. I know there's enhanced security due to spammers but I can't find my way through. Any help would be appreciated. 

Also, my issue is as follows:  I'm trying to add a "Read More/Read Less" button to a "rich text section" of my store.  This section is 863 words long but I want to show only 140 words and then display "Read More".

0 Likes
TyW
Community Manager
Community Manager
550 37 954

Hi @LowSpark, looks like you have PM capabilities now  

I can't share the specifics but it's a combination of making contributions to the community and being registered for a certain amount of time before the PM option is enabled per above to prevent spammers from registering and sending unsolicited messages. 

Thanks for your understanding!

Ty

jordym
1 0 3

Can i have PM capabilities, i will like to contact a memner from the comunity, thanks

ANDYH2
2 0 3

I really would like to PM someone who's offered to help on an issue, but can't, I guess it's because i'm new, which isn't so helpful.