Disabling Shopfiy Order Confirmation Email

SockPanda
Visitor
2 0 1

I know this has been asked over the years and it seems to still be in Limbo, but I thought I'd ask.

I am migrating my subscriptions out of Chargify, but my prepaids (actually renew later in the year) that I get a confusion order confirmation email.

I would like to temporally shut that down while I explore options.  Sucks that it seems this can't be done yet. 

Anyone with quick work around? 

Replies 8 (8)

Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

I see Shopify has rushed to help you with this. 

What a joke this platform is.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Can't make a decent email template/email notification system, so instead of partnering with a good marketing app they hold all of their PAYING users hostage to their useless features.  

So frustrating 

TCE
Visitor
1 0 2

We are in the same boat!  Shopify, it has been years!  Please fix this issue.

mendelspeas
Visitor
2 0 3

Yes. This is such a critical problem!

We need this simply because we have very different products that require completely different order confirmation emails. We need to be able to send separate templates based on what products the customers ordered. It can only be done through third party email systems.

Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

Welp, you'll have to cough up $2k a month or whatever ridiculous amount it is they charge all these suckers for minor features like this.  

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi everyone! Thank you for your feedback about this, I know you would like to be able to have more control over your automated emails in your admin.

From what I can see based on your feedback here the main concern is the ability to have different confirmation emails for different types of products or sale types. This can be done within your email notification template by customizing the .liquid for it and integrating a range of if/then statements.

I understand that not everyone is code savvy enough to do this on their own (myself included in that) but it can be done! If this is something you want to setup for your store I would recommend hiring an expert from our expert marketplace to assist you in that customization. 

You can learn more about editing your notification emails and also how to hire an expert to assist you with this in our Help Center: Notification variables reference · Shopify Help Center.

I have also submitted feedback on this option for you all to our developers and further feedback from other merchants can be added to this thread. I will provide a like to any subsequent feedback posts so that you know it has been seen and reported for you. Because this is not a feature we have available at this time and customizing the notification template is the next best option, I will be marking this thread as "Solved" so that other merchants searching for this issue can find this answer as well.

Please don't hesitate to continue adding to this thread and I'll be happy to follow up on any questions you might have!

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SockPanda
Visitor
2 0 1
Just annoying that I was put in a tough situation to migrate my customers
to a flow that included shopify checkout, but then found myself hampered by
this silly thing.

I have subscribers that I migrated over and now they get monthly
confirmation emails when they are not being billed, but simply having a
monthly package processed. This is on top of the needed order fulfillment
email I send with tracking.

I've looked into the custom coding option and it simply isn't viable. What
is viable is for Shopify to allow merchants to control this email (on or
off) and then use another app that allows for easy customization.

I am not sure what Shopify purpose is here, but to hamper smaller
businesses.

Really annoying since this is an old issue.

Jonathan
Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

Yeah looks like 95% of this entire forum is just Shopify 'Support' marking threads as 'SOLVED' because they don't have the balls to tell everyone they are intentionally baiting them into paying more for extra features.  While your at it, talk to your team or whatever you do after hitting the 'solved' button, and tell them we need the ability to edit Shopify shipping labels.  I am manually saving and editing each label myself in photoshop to add "THIS SIDE UP", and it is a huge pain in the a**.  I don't understand why Shopify doesn't allow editing of the labels, if its because they fear their advertising link on the bottom is going to get erased by store owners, GUESS WHAT... where do you think I put "THIS SIDE UP".... right over your advertisement!.  If you would simply allow us to edit the damn labels we could care less if you put 5 advertisements on the damn thing. 

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

@SockPanda - 

I can definitely understand that in your situation the monthly order confirmation emails can create a lot of email communication to the customers paying for the yearly subscriptions on your store. I can appreciate that you would want to make sure your emails sent to them are of value and not overwhelming to your customers. 

I know that for standard orders most countries require a confirmation email to be sent to customers within 15 days of order purchase, as this is usually a legal requirement the confirmation emails are not able to be disabled within the stores unless you are on the Shopify Plus plan. While you cannot disable those confirmation emails, you could look at customizing your monthly shipment emails to promote new products, ensure customers still want their subscription or encourage them to return to the store. Instead of just being a confirmation email, altering them to be more of a promotional email as well as a notice that their subscription is being filled might be worth considering. 

@Nous333 

Thank you for your feedback Nous333 and I am sorry to hear that you feel that our support in the forums is misleading or not upfront about some of our limitations. While there are areas of the business I can't speak to directly, I am more than happy to share as much upfront information about our decisions or any areas you wish had additional functions but don't. 

As I mentioned, standard orders require an email confirmation to be sent to customers otherwise customers have the right to open a chargeback with their bank for a return of their funds. Because disabling the order confirmation emails can lead to higher rate of chargebacks, this is not something we offer the ability to be disabled unless you are on the PLUS plan. Every chargeback processed affects our processing rates in the long term and lowers our banking partner's trust in our platform and their trust in our merchants. 

In regards to the shipping labels, are you referring to the Shop App promotional content on the bottom of the label? If you can confirm that for me, I'll happily submit your feedback surrounding that topic to our developers to consider. 

As for editing the shipping labels, Shopify is not able to unlock the shipping label templates as they are provided to us directly from the shipping provider. Shopify is the middle man in the transaction of the shipping labels and the templates are not created by us. Yes, there are apps that offer customized shipping label templates that you can use or you can use your own account with the shipping provider and bypass purchasing the labels from within your store admin. I will again be happy to submit feedback on this for you to our developers in hope that we can change that option in the future. 

I'm happy to assist with any other feedback or questions you might have. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog