Can you categorize discount codes with prefixes in Shopify?

DileepKumarJami
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Community members,

I am here to figure out some ways for the below scenario.

We use discount codes for various purposes and we want to categorise (and subcategories) them for our analytic purposes. How do we achieve this?

If it is possible to have new fields while generating the random discount codes, it would be helpful. 

However, if that's not possible, is there a way to have a field for PREFIXES so that we categorize the discounts based on them?
Please let me know if there are third-party apps available or any work arounds for the same
Replies 7 (7)

WinxDigital
Shopify Partner
20 4 6

Can you just clarify your definition of categorise the discount codes please. i.e are you referring to categories such as Customer Complaint / unsatisfied customer / delivery cost / High Value Customer etc.., or are you referring to actually product categories that the DV is to be used on?

If my solution has helped, I would appreciate you adding your thanks to the post and accepting it as a solution.
UK Based Shopify Plus Agency Expert: hello@winxdigital.co.uk
DileepKumarJami
Tourist
4 0 1
Sure. So, let us say I use discount codes for PROMOTIONS and NEW CUSTOMERS.
So, when Shopify generates a random code like this, 0DHK9L, if I am able to
add a prefix field like PROMO for promotions and NEW for discounts given to
new customers, I would be able to categorise the discount as a discount
given for the respective type. Please let me know if it's not clear
WinxDigital
Shopify Partner
20 4 6

perfect, thank you.

So the good news is that there are a fair few apps out there that offer this functionality for you.

Most I believe are free trials then a small monthly cost.

The other way is to manually generate in batch ahead of time using the prefixes.

I would suggest you go on the app store and search for prefix discounts and see if anything tickles your fancy

If my solution has helped, I would appreciate you adding your thanks to the post and accepting it as a solution.
DileepKumarJami
Tourist
4 0 1

Could you please find me any such apps?

WinxDigital
Shopify Partner
20 4 6

look at avada discount code generator

in the pattern, you can specify a prefix before whatever characters you want

DileepKumarJami
Tourist
4 0 1

Sure. So, let us say I use discount codes for PROMOTIONS and NEW CUSTOMERS. So, when Shopify generates a random code like this, 0DHK9L, if I am able to add a prefix field like PROMO for promotions and NEW for discounts given to new customers, I would be able to categorise the discount as a discount given for the respective type. Please let me know if it's not clear

Exur1
Visitor
1 0 0

In order to categorize discount codes for analytic purposes, there are several approaches we can consider. Firstly, if it's feasible to introduce new fields during the generation of random discount codes, this could streamline the categorization process significantly. Alternatively, if modifying the generation process isn't possible, implementing a field for prefixes could serve as a workaround. By assigning specific prefixes such as 0956 prefix to different types of discounts, we can easily categorize them based on these identifiers. Additionally, exploring third-party apps or software solutions designed for coupon management and analytics might offer more comprehensive features and customization options. Evaluating available options and potential workarounds can help streamline the categorization process and enhance the effectiveness of discount code analytics.