FROM CACHE - en_header

Does being on a Holiday Visa in Australia effect making a account there?

Solved
MrScott
7 0 0

Hi guys,

I couldn't find any information so far on my quires. I live in Australia at the moment for the next 12 months on a Holiday Visa (Lived here for 9 years and have no more options to be allowed to stay). As it is a holiday visa it is illegal to working there. Though this Global Pandemic has created financial problems for all of us. I can't work, the Australian government does not support Internationals financially. So i am left to hustle for income.

My goal is to set up shopify account to act as passive income. From what i have learnt so far, if i earn over $18k per year through my account, that will be classed as a business. So my thought on trouble shooting this was to register the shopify business overseas. I come from Thailand. So i will be looking to register for it over there. I'm assuming that will also count as my location of operation? 

How would i set this up? I've just made a shopify account on trial period (Furry House Pet Supplies) and have accidentally set up the address location as my current living address. (There's no option to change this from what i can see?) 

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Nick
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
4531 434 1007

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @MrScott,

I looked into this and from what you've said, even though you are potentially going to move in around 12 months time, the best course of action would be to set up the business from your current situation. You would need an operating address from Thailand which could cause our risk management team to take a look into your account by mixing details. Your best course of action would be to set up from Australia as that's where you are right now. By setting up as if you were in Thailand, but being based in Australia, it could make things more complicated and messy. It is possible for you to have multiple addresses linked in the Shopify admin including one can as your credit card address, and another as your store address (which can be shared publicly).

If you linked your credit card to Shopify and that still has the correct billing address linked, you don't need to do anything. If this ever changes, you can head to Settings > Billing and click on the "Replace credit card" option. This will give you the opportunity to enter in your latest credit card information, including your billing address.

You can list your shipping address as your store address in Settings > General, and also as your shipping address in your shipping settings. Changing the address here will not affect the address we have on file for your credit card.

By setting up in Australia you can also use Shopify Payments as the payment gateway. I hope this helps and answers your question. 

Do you have any other questions about your store or setting things up? 

Nick | Community Moderator @Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)
dropship_helps
Shopify Expert
1823 56 275

Hi @MrScott 

Your credit card and bank account from which country?

MrScott
7 0 0

I see what you're asking. Dependant on those 2 things is whether my drop ship site of operation is based on. So therefore that would mean its seen as an Australian Business?

Do you know anything about my other main questions? 

regards,

Sam

Nick
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
4531 434 1007

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @MrScott,

I looked into this and from what you've said, even though you are potentially going to move in around 12 months time, the best course of action would be to set up the business from your current situation. You would need an operating address from Thailand which could cause our risk management team to take a look into your account by mixing details. Your best course of action would be to set up from Australia as that's where you are right now. By setting up as if you were in Thailand, but being based in Australia, it could make things more complicated and messy. It is possible for you to have multiple addresses linked in the Shopify admin including one can as your credit card address, and another as your store address (which can be shared publicly).

If you linked your credit card to Shopify and that still has the correct billing address linked, you don't need to do anything. If this ever changes, you can head to Settings > Billing and click on the "Replace credit card" option. This will give you the opportunity to enter in your latest credit card information, including your billing address.

You can list your shipping address as your store address in Settings > General, and also as your shipping address in your shipping settings. Changing the address here will not affect the address we have on file for your credit card.

By setting up in Australia you can also use Shopify Payments as the payment gateway. I hope this helps and answers your question. 

Do you have any other questions about your store or setting things up? 

Nick | Community Moderator @Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog