Solved

Does hosting a third-party domain on Shopify share the same IP address?

SlippySlope
Tourist
10 0 2

I already have Shopify shop and I'm preparing to host my third-party domain on Shopify. Will they both share the same IP address?

BTW, I will be using the services of a Shopify Expert but I'm trying to get an understanding of the process. I've read the help pages but they don't address the details.

Accepted Solution (1)

PageFly-Theodor
Shopify Partner
652 81 95

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @SlippySlope ,
This is Theodore from PageFly - Shopify Page Builder App.

Yes, your third-party domain will likely share the same IP address as your existing Shopify store when hosted on Shopify. This is due to Shopify's shared hosting environment.

Sharing an IP has minimal drawbacks:

• Minor SEO impact (mitigated by Shopify's SEO tools)
  • Technically shares server location with other stores (usually not a concern)

Best regards,
Theodore | PageFly

Please let me know if it works by giving it a Like or marking it as a solution!

PageFly - #1 Page Builder for Shopify merchants.

All features are available from Free plan. Live Chat Support is available 24/7.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

PageFly-Theodor
Shopify Partner
652 81 95

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @SlippySlope ,
This is Theodore from PageFly - Shopify Page Builder App.

Yes, your third-party domain will likely share the same IP address as your existing Shopify store when hosted on Shopify. This is due to Shopify's shared hosting environment.

Sharing an IP has minimal drawbacks:

• Minor SEO impact (mitigated by Shopify's SEO tools)
  • Technically shares server location with other stores (usually not a concern)

Best regards,
Theodore | PageFly

Please let me know if it works by giving it a Like or marking it as a solution!

PageFly - #1 Page Builder for Shopify merchants.

All features are available from Free plan. Live Chat Support is available 24/7.

SlippySlope
Tourist
10 0 2

Thank you. I suspected that was the case (the domain is currently on Squarespace and I could see that they do it that way)...I put our current DNS IP into "what's my IP" and it came back as Squarespace. Then I put in the IP given in the community to the question as to how to set the DNS for Shopify (not knowing if it was just a dummy sample) and it back as Shopify. Therefore, I suspected and you have confirmed.

Thanks

SlippySlope
Tourist
10 0 2

Hi Cindy...are you a Shopify Expert?

SlippySlope
Tourist
10 0 2

...and, I'll add that we use Network Solutions as the Registrar and they host the DNS (which gets propagated in 2 hrs or less).

prestigeclai
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you for sharing your expertise so generously. Your post was a breath of fresh air, offering a clear and concise explanation that resonated with many of us. Prestige Clairemont