Domain issue

Solved
Andrea55
1 0 0

Hi everyone,

I opened an account a few years ago, which I did not use it. Now the store I created with that account is inactive, and I have to buy a plan, but how about if I wanted to change the domain?

Basically I'm looking for opening a new store, but I have to change the domain, is possible change the domain once I created a new store with the same account, or I have to open a new account with a new email? 

Does Shopify allow me to open a new account with the same personal detail using a different email?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Moira
Shopify Staff
491 72 81

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Andrea55,

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

At this time it’s not possible to change, re-use or remove the .myshopify.com domain name associated with your store. It is automatically created based on the store name you gave when signing up for the service originally. In saying that, there are a couple of options for you!

Do you currently have a custom domain associated with your old store? The domain that's displayed when customers visit your online store is your primary domain. By default, when you sign up for Shopify, your primary domain uses your .myshopify.com URL. Having a custom domain name is a step we would highly recommend as it adds a level of trust and sends a strong signal that you’re an established business to your customers, it's a core part of your brand's identity essentially. If you want to change the domain that customers use to visit your store, then you can buy a custom domain name from Shopify or from any third-party domain registrar. After you add a custom domain to Shopify, then you can set your custom domain as the primary domain. This domain can also be transferred between Shopify stores whereas the .myshopify.com domain cannot. 

When you buy a domain through Shopify, your domain is automatically configured to be the website address that’s displayed to customers. The .myshopify.com domain will then only be visible to you and is only needed for verification purposes such as logging into your Shopify account. Check out this guide which takes you through the steps on purchasing a custom domain through Shopify.

If you're set on wanting a new .myshopify.com URL but still keeping the content within the old store, what you could do as a workaround would be to create a new trial account and move your content over. You could migrate any theme files and products via CSV, though any uploaded files outside theme, and blog posts, etc will have to be copy/pasted into the new store manually. Here is a guide that will help you export your store data. Remember that your .myshopify.com URL is created from the name you give Shopify during sign up and cannot be changed (ie. if I call it "moira the guru" then I will be given moira-the-guru.myshopify.com); use this knowledge to create the URL of your design.

Lastly, you can totally open more than one Shopify store using the same email credentials, but currently, each store is a separate account and would be accessed through a different admin. Remember, you cannot re-use the same .myshopify.com domain on more than 1 store. You can read more about switching between Shopify stores in this guide here.

Tip: Choosing a business name and purchasing a custom domain is one of the seven steps in this article on building a brand from scratch. I suggest having a read to see what other areas you could work on!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)
Moira
Shopify Staff
491 72 81

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Andrea55,

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

At this time it’s not possible to change, re-use or remove the .myshopify.com domain name associated with your store. It is automatically created based on the store name you gave when signing up for the service originally. In saying that, there are a couple of options for you!

Do you currently have a custom domain associated with your old store? The domain that's displayed when customers visit your online store is your primary domain. By default, when you sign up for Shopify, your primary domain uses your .myshopify.com URL. Having a custom domain name is a step we would highly recommend as it adds a level of trust and sends a strong signal that you’re an established business to your customers, it's a core part of your brand's identity essentially. If you want to change the domain that customers use to visit your store, then you can buy a custom domain name from Shopify or from any third-party domain registrar. After you add a custom domain to Shopify, then you can set your custom domain as the primary domain. This domain can also be transferred between Shopify stores whereas the .myshopify.com domain cannot. 

When you buy a domain through Shopify, your domain is automatically configured to be the website address that’s displayed to customers. The .myshopify.com domain will then only be visible to you and is only needed for verification purposes such as logging into your Shopify account. Check out this guide which takes you through the steps on purchasing a custom domain through Shopify.

If you're set on wanting a new .myshopify.com URL but still keeping the content within the old store, what you could do as a workaround would be to create a new trial account and move your content over. You could migrate any theme files and products via CSV, though any uploaded files outside theme, and blog posts, etc will have to be copy/pasted into the new store manually. Here is a guide that will help you export your store data. Remember that your .myshopify.com URL is created from the name you give Shopify during sign up and cannot be changed (ie. if I call it "moira the guru" then I will be given moira-the-guru.myshopify.com); use this knowledge to create the URL of your design.

Lastly, you can totally open more than one Shopify store using the same email credentials, but currently, each store is a separate account and would be accessed through a different admin. Remember, you cannot re-use the same .myshopify.com domain on more than 1 store. You can read more about switching between Shopify stores in this guide here.

Tip: Choosing a business name and purchasing a custom domain is one of the seven steps in this article on building a brand from scratch. I suggest having a read to see what other areas you could work on!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post