Can I reclaim a taken domain name if it's not live?

Shrila
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

It looks like the domain 'Shrila Accessories' is taken. However I do not think this is a live website and it is something that I would like to remove so it becomes available. Can you do this for me please?

Thank you!

Replies 3 (3)

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
1487 336 464

Unfortunately, once the store name has been claimed in the past (even if the store is inactive), it cannot be freed up.

Nick | Ecommerce & Marketing Technology Consultant | Toronto, CANADA
- For consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message or submit a ✍️Contact Form.
- For FREE Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube channel (▶️ Ecommerce TV).

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 132

Hi, @Shrila 

While @Nick_Marketing is correct, once a myshopify.com URL name has been taken, it can't be freed up. That being said, we recommend all stores to purchase a custom domain name, which is what your customers will see when going to your store. A custom domain will help build trust in your customers when they visit your website, or hear about it elsewhere. 

The myshopify.com URL given to you at sign up is really just a placeholder for your website, and is not intended to be used by customers to go to your website. You can purchase a custom domain, with your name, Shrila Accessories for around $14USD / year. Here's a screenshot from our available domain names search bar: 

25-15-23-18648

As you can see, various various of shrilaaccessories are available for purchase, including the .com version. To buy a domain from Shopify and connect it to your store, you can follow the steps listed in our help document linked here. 

Let us know if you have any further questions! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

myshopify.com addresses are subdomains hosted by shopify.

Shopify does not have a subdomain squatting policy.

If the store is actually actively selling a brands products illegitimately , a direct trademark issue, or IP infringement ,etc  you'll want to pursue things like  DMCA requests and discuss it with an actual lawyer.

If your are referring to a full domain mybrand.com that is a bigger trademark matter not necessarily related to shopify.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org