Eco friendly option

Kathy90
4 0 0
Is there a way to add a checkbox in the cart that allows customers to choose minimal packaging etc? Allowing me to pack products together to limit excess packaging. Some customers prefer everything in its own plastic cellobag but personally I would rather use less plastic if the customer agrees. Thanks.
Replies 9 (9)
Nick
Community Moderator
4237 420 879

Hi @Kathy90,

Really good question! 

I'm thinking you could add a new shipping rate dedicated to an eco friendly shipping option. By adding the eco friendly option it would add a checkbox of sorts to your shipping options giving the customer the choice then. Shopify has a guide going through the steps for setting up shipping rates which could be helpful for you on getting this set up. You could even add Eco-friendly shipping to your existing shipping rates depending on how you have them set up with the eco friendly shipping price. 

Is there something different or specific about the rates where you feel this might not be a viable option? If you don't feel it could work, let me know and why, then we can take a look at how to get it to work. 

Nick | Community Moderator @Shopify 

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 

- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Kathy90
4 0 0

Hi Nick, 

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestion. At the moment I already offer alternative shipping rates (ie tracked, untracked and free). I'm thinking adding this option to shipping rates might not look as streamline. There is no difference in shipping costs as I factor packaging into my product price and the cellobags don't cost much. 

I've actually found another shopify website that has added a "go green" checkbox in their cart but I'm not sure how to go about this. When checked it activates a message box too. Any idea how they achieved this? 

Thanks, 

Kathy

Nick
Community Moderator
4237 420 879

Hi @Kathy90,

Thanks for getting back to me and giving me the extra insight. Could you share the name of the other website so I can take a look please? It's very difficult to know how they might have done this without looking. If you could even share a screenshot of where their "go green" checkbox is too it would be a huge help. From a first thought, I get the feeling it might be something customised they have from a Shopify Expert, but I can't be certain without seeing it. 

Kathy90
4 0 0

Hi Nick, 

Hope this helps! Thanks. 

Kathy

Nick
Community Moderator
4237 420 879

Thanks @Kathy90.

While I cannot confirm that this store is operating on Shopify for privacy and security reasons. I took a look through the app store and couldn't find any public apps called this or that would operate this feature, which makes me think it could be something custom from a third party developer/Shopify Expert. It could be worth reaching out to an expert about this to see what the cost would be like. Something else you could do is reach out to this store directly and ask them, they may be willing to share information, especially as it could help with such a great cause. 

P.S. I have edited your post to take down the image for the other store for privacy and security reasons. 

Kathy90
4 0 0

Thanks Nick! I might try asking them. 

maysharm
2 0 0

Hey Kathy! 

Fellow Shopify user here. It seems like you're looking for more sustainable shipping options for your product. This is definitely something I also struggled with--but I've found that a couple other Shopify businesses do an exceptional job at filling this niche. 

Two that I'd recommend you check out are EcoCart and EcoEnclose! Both companies are committed to helping making eco-friendly shipping more accessible for small businesses. I've added the links below in case you're interested in checking them out: 

https://apps.shopify.com/ecocart 

https://www.ecoenclose.com/ 

ArkaInc
Shopify Partner
19 0 2

Hi @Nick !

We're pretty new to posting on here, but is there any way we could be considered a recommended packaging provider on a guru card or something to that effect? 

New to posted but not new to Shopify, we're integrated!

https://www.shopify.com/learn/course/introduction-to-packaging-your-products

https://apps.shopify.com/arka-custom-product-packaging

Nick
Community Moderator
4237 420 879

Hey @ArkaInc,

Great question and cool product/ service. I've bookmarked and will investigate for my own store soon! 

With regards to your question, I wonder if contacting the Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) team could be a potential route for you instead? I'm not 100% sure how the SFN team works with packaging suppliers currently, but it can't hurt to reach out and show them who Arka is. You can contact the Shopify Fulfillment Network from here. Hope this helps!