Email Marketing Question / Opinions Please

JeanetteQuillen
Explorer
145 1 18

Can I get a few opinions on how many sales emails a month or week are acceptable? 

There are some companies that send one a day to my (annoying) and others I don't hear from for a couple of week (where'd they go?).  

What are some good frequency recommendations?  What the most a week that would seem acceptable?

Thank you in advance.

Jeanette @ https://claribelskincare.com

Replies 2 (2)
Rick
Shopify Staff
35 6 12

Hey @JeanetteQuillen 

That is a great question! I can understand why you would be eager to get some opinions on this, as it can be a confusing topic. There is certainly a balance you would need to keep between sending too many marketing emails, and too few. Your example of a company sending one email a day definitley sounds like too much - in my mind that would become a hindrance for the customer, and would cause them to unsubscribe from your marketing lists pretty quickly! 

We would generally recommend sending at least one email a month to keep your customers engaged, however if you feel like a more frequent email marketing campaign would suit your business then you could certainly consider sending more. In my mind sending maybe 1 to 2 emails per week would be OK, however put yourself in the customers position and ask yourself if it was you receiving those emails, would you be OK with the frequency?

Evaluating your email marketing with analytics, and using a data driven approach to guide you with the frequency would be a good idea too. We actually have a great help doc on best practices for sending marketing emails that I would highly recommend checking out if you haven't already. It is primarily about using the Shopify Email app, but the core concepts would apply to any marketing email approach. Generally in order to justify sending a sales/promotional email you would want to consider including something like a new product release, monthly email newsletters, a time-sensitive promotion, seasonal deals, or a content update

If you are interested in learning more about email marketing, we also have a full course on Ecommerce Email Marketing 101 on our Shopify Learn website, that is completely free to avail of!

Rick | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JeanetteQuillen
Explorer
145 1 18

Thank you Rick.  It appears I've been doing what you've recommended, and I think I'll just keep it there.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an opportunity, but your words and my gut tells me that more would be too much.  Appreciate your help!