Employee-Only Collection

Solved
Rustico18
7 0 0

We currently have a store for customers to purchase items, but i want to create a hidden collection (only viewable through a direct link) that allows our employees to buy the same items for free.  What is the best way to do this?

• Should I duplicate all the products for this hidden collection and change the price to $0?
  • Is there a way to assign the same product to both the public and hidden employee-only collection, while having different prices?
  • Should I assign the same product to both the public and hidden employee-only collection, and just have a 100% coupon code for the hidden collection?

Trying to understand the most elegant way to do this that will make it efficient to manage, and simple for our employees to use.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Miles
Shopify Staff
477 69 124

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Rustico18!

Thanks for getting back to me.

To answer both of your questions, I would definitely agree that creating a collection and providing the link to your employees without adding it to the store navigation is a great option. The one limitation with this is that the products and the collection would need to be published (or available) on the online store. This means there is a chance that some customers will see the collection (i.e. if they go to yourstore.com/products/all or yourstore.com/collections/all). So even if the collection is not linked via your menus, it's still possible customers could access it - though the chances are fairly low. An app like Locksmith would give you that added layer of protection against this so that if a customer finds the collection, they're greeted with a password request in order to access it.

If you're not wanting to add an app (which is entirely understandable), I'd revert back to other suggestion I made previously of providing a discount code for employees. This is a free option that allows you to choose who can use the discount code, and how many times they can use it. The only problem you'd face with this is the products that aren't available for the public would still need to be listed using the method above. The decision is entirely up to you though.

Hope that helps to shed some more light on this for you. If not, please be sure to let me know by replying to this thread.

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)
Miles
Shopify Staff
477 69 124

Hi, @ Rustico18!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. There a couple of ways to do this, and you've suggested one yourself already!

The first and simplest way to achieve this would be to provide your employees with a discount code. If the products are all the same for the hidden collection and the employee collection, then you can just provide them the code without the need to hide a collection from customers. When setting up a discount code, you can also select certain products or collections, so if you're not wanting to provide a discount on all products, you just need to select which ones you'd like discounted when setting up the code. If an employee then buys from the store and has products that aren't included, only the correct products would be discounted. You can learn more about creating discount codes here: . This will include instructions on how to ensure the discount code is only able to be used by employees and how many times a discount can be used.

Your other option is to use an app to create a hidden collection and duplicate the products into that collection with the discounted price. If you do choose this option, there may be an added cost set out by the app. But you can then just provide the direct link to your employees so they can enter the password and not need to enter any discount codes. If you're happy with this, I would suggest using an app called Locksmith. From $9 USD per month, Locksmith allows you to require registration, or a customer tag, lock products behind a passcode, create country-specific collections, give customers secret links and more. I use this in my own store and can tell you it's a lifesaver! The best part, is you only pay what feels good. You can learn more about the pricing structure and paying what you feel is appropriate here: lightward.com/pricing.

If you do have any questions at all, please let me know. Good luck!

Rustico18
7 0 0

Hi Miles, thank you for the response.  A few quick clarifications:

• Most of the products are the same between the employee/public collections, but there are some that can only be available for employees. I think this probably requires me to have a separate employee collection and hide it from the public, no?
  • Regarding the locksmith app solution, perhaps i'm not understanding the complexity, but couldn't I just mark the employee-only collections as available on the store, but not part of the navigation (per the screenshot below)?  Wouldn't that mean that only people who have the direct url link to this collection can buy from it?
  • Rustico18_1-1594299143754.png

Miles
Shopify Staff
477 69 124

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Rustico18!

Thanks for getting back to me.

To answer both of your questions, I would definitely agree that creating a collection and providing the link to your employees without adding it to the store navigation is a great option. The one limitation with this is that the products and the collection would need to be published (or available) on the online store. This means there is a chance that some customers will see the collection (i.e. if they go to yourstore.com/products/all or yourstore.com/collections/all). So even if the collection is not linked via your menus, it's still possible customers could access it - though the chances are fairly low. An app like Locksmith would give you that added layer of protection against this so that if a customer finds the collection, they're greeted with a password request in order to access it.

If you're not wanting to add an app (which is entirely understandable), I'd revert back to other suggestion I made previously of providing a discount code for employees. This is a free option that allows you to choose who can use the discount code, and how many times they can use it. The only problem you'd face with this is the products that aren't available for the public would still need to be listed using the method above. The decision is entirely up to you though.

Hope that helps to shed some more light on this for you. If not, please be sure to let me know by replying to this thread.

View solution in original post

Rustico18
7 0 0

Thanks Miles.  I understand the nuances now.  We'll take a closer look at Locksmith, as I think this will achieve our goals.

talulspark
4 0 0

I think it's a great idea to do such a discount for employees. I think the boss and the employees should have a good relationship of trust. Workers should feel supported by their supervisors and be assured that they are protected and not in danger. The supervisor should be strict and demanding, but he should not go overboard or abuse his authority. All employees should be connected. They can share experiences, give advice, and support each other. The one who is more experienced can become a mentor for the newcomer. Teamwork always leads to success. At lead.app, you can bridge teams in other locations and time zones by connecting units across departments for group meetings or mentorship opportunities.