Expanding internationally - domain structure?

storeandmore
3 0 0

Hi! We're expanding our Shopify store internationally and we're trying to figure out which domain strategy is better for us (ccTLDs, subdirectories or subdomains) and if we should go for a multi-store structure or a single store with multiple currencies. I'm just wondering if there are any agencies that help with making this decision and then actually setting up the whole thing for businesses? What exactly is this service called?

Replies 3 (3)
Nick
Community Moderator
4247 422 884

Hi @storeandmore,

Really good question and great to hear of your growth to be thinking of expanding out. 

One way to approach this is to add the different domains for each country as subdomains which will then redirect to your store. You can set your store up to sell in multiple languages with this strategy in mind. The switching between Shopify stores feature would also come in handy here. 

If you wanted to explore the other strategy and set up multiple stores each with different seperate primary languages targeting those markets, you can do that too. It would be a bit more work and more costly as it would involve setting up and maintaining multiple stores but it could also increase sales as it's more friendly to each region being in their language natively. 

As you mentioned, it could be best to research and speak to a Shopify Expert you resonate with to decide which avenue you want to go. You can see the Shopify Expert directory here

Hopefully this helps and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Nick | Community Moderator @Shopify 

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 

- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

storeandmore
3 0 0

Thank you so much for the explanation! When I search in the Shopify Expert directory, I have to choose one of the search options for which services I'm looking for. The services already showing there don't seem to be relevant. What is this service called? 

Nick
Community Moderator
4247 422 884

Hi @storeandmore,

Great question! 

It's a tough one to really put down to one specific service. Once you log in it presents you with the main services, I would say it could mostly lie under the Store setup but it could go under development and troubleshooting also. I would try under Store setup first and take it from there. 

22-26-84563-84612

Nick | Community Moderator @Shopify 

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 

- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog