Solved

Fake email from Shopify??? Notification to Close Shopify Account

EricCostas
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there,

We received an email from (saameen@nsu.edu) claiming to be a support analyst at Shopify.
The email address is not a Shopify email so I have a feeling this email is fake.
Can anyone please confirm if the email is fake. Refer a copy of the email below. Appreciate your help guys!

Hello,

Ameen from the Shopify Operations Team here. Hope you're keeping well.

Following several unattended notification you received concerning your Shopify account, your account will be closed on 17th September 2020 as no response has been received from you.

Your account will be ready for re-activation till your subscription elapse and all data will be wiped.

No action is required from you if your Shopify account is not active otherwise visit https://accounts.shopify.com/store-login

before the end of your billing cycle to continue using Shopify services.

Accepted Solution (1)
Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you so much, Eric! I appreciate you taking the time to forward that message to our Safety team. 

Please feel free to forward any other suspicious emails to that address, and let me know if you have any questions about 2-step authentication.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @EricCostas!

Sophia here from Shopify.

I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. This message does not appear to be from Shopify, so I'm glad that you've flagged it here.

If you still have access to the original email, please download it by following these steps and send it to safety@shopify.com. This will allow our team to view the entire message including the headers to identify where the message came from and help us to block further attempts. In the meantime, please be sure to report the message as spam to your email provider.

I also recommend enabling two-step authentication on your Shopify account as an added security measure. Did you click the link in the message or respond to the email?

EricCostas
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for your reply.

I have forwarded the email to safety@shopify.com as requested.

No I didn't respond to this email or click on any links in this email.

Will look at setting up the 2-step authentication as an added security measure.

Thanks for your help

Eric Costas

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you so much, Eric! I appreciate you taking the time to forward that message to our Safety team. 

Please feel free to forward any other suspicious emails to that address, and let me know if you have any questions about 2-step authentication.

Sedef
Tourist
23 0 2

Hello,

I have received below email which i believe its a scam as well, but i accidently clicked the link and it directed me to the dangerous web site error, i wish i did not:( I forwarded this mail to your safety@shopify.com email address couple times but it keeps coming back to me since your server has rejected it. What should i do?

Thanks

Correa (Shopify)

April 14, 2021

We have received reports concerning your Shopify store about unfulfilled orders after payment. Reports stated that various attempts to contact you have yielded no positive results.

This is to notify you that Shopify does not support any form of fraudulent e-commerce practices and we hold the right to terminate your account upon discovering any practice that violates our terms and policy as clearly stated during your signup process.

To continue using Shopify services you will need to perform the following verification:

• Proof of business ownership
  • Proof of delivery for any of your products (not older than two months)
  • Identity verification

https://shopify.com/admin/oauth2/authorize?client_id=4345a7b9-9a63-4910-a426-35363201d503&0id_token&...

(If the link did not work, copy and paste it on your browser)

Your payout has been placed on hold until all requested documents has been submitted. This does not stop your customers from checking out.

Shopify Team

Do not reply to this message as no response will be received.

SellerUu
15 0 0

Any updates on this? I just received this email as well. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@SellerUu wrote:

Any updates on this? I just received this email as well. 

Hello, @SellerUu!

Did you click on any links or respond to the email you received? If you did interact with the message or have any concerns about your account security, please let me know. Additionally, you can review the Account security help documents for best practices to protect your account.

With any suspicious emails pertaining to your Shopify store, please download the message by following these steps and send it to safety@shopify.com. While we won't be able to share the details of any internal investigations, our team can use the information from these messages to block future phishing attempts and continue to increase account security.