Favicon not showing on google even after long period + no preview in theme settings

Liddell
Tourist
9 0 2

I'm aware it can take some time for a favicon to show up in the google search results but it's been months since I added it. It's showing on the browser tabs but not in the google search results. On other search engines it still shows an old favicon from when we used squarespace.

We're using the free Shopify Crave theme. One thing I noticed, the favicon preview doesn't show up in the theme settings, it's just a collapsed empty space:

brave_gpNPqHAKWq.png

If I click on "Edit" nothing happens but I can select the favicon again from the library and as said, the correct favicon is showing on the browser tabs. The favicon is a SVG if that matters...

Any ideas?

Replies 4 (4)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1777 202 319

Hi there, @Liddell. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the Shopify Community with your Favicon situation here! My name is Imogen. It's good to meet you!

Thanks for providing all of that context there! I would have loved to have known your store name to see if I can replicate the absence of your Favicon within search engines, but that's fine! If your favicon is appearing as expected on browser tabs, but not in search engine results, it could indicate that you may need to submit your Favicon to Google via their Search Console. For good measure, you may also want to submit your sitemap to Google so it forces a re-crawl of your website! I would look into seeing if you can complete these same steps for other search engines, as well.

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Liddell
Tourist
9 0 2

Hey @Imogen , thanks for your answer! I've been busy looking into all kinds of Google services for SEO purposes and finally got to looking into the Google Search Console. I have set it up and submitted the sitemap. But I couldn't figure out where to submit the favicon. Can you point me in the right direction? What is this option called exactly and where in the Search Console menues can I find it?

In case it would still help to look at out store, I'm gonna DM you the URL right after this. Thanks for your time!

Blair
Shopify Staff
1965 260 233

Hi @Liddell,

Thanks for the prompt response! 

To learn more about how you can submit your favicon to Google, you can check out this guide. It provides you with everything that you'll need to know to ensure this gets submitted. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Blair | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Liddell
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi @Blair , thank you for the link. I actually found this guide before, but it didn't seem relevant because as far as I understand it, we don't manually define a favicon via code in a shopify store but use the customizer/theme settings (as seen in my initial screenshot). I would assume by using the option in the theme settings, the relevant code for the favicon recognition would automatically be added, no? As mentioned I use one of the official free themes of shopify (Crave).

Now, if I really have to manually add the code from the linked google guide, I know my way around the theme files but I would have to know the href where shopify puts the favicon and if it keeps the filename of my uploaded image or if it gets renamed.

Can you help me out with this?