Fraud Prevention for High Risk Orders on a Digital Download site

OmarA98
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi,

I have a website that offers digital downloads. One big issue we've run into is fraudulent orders getting away with scamming us for free downloads, since the digital download app automatically displays their downloads after they pay. With physical products, you can cancel the order and not ship out the goods (so you're not at a loss), but with digital downloads we don't have the same protection.

Does anyone know of a solution that we can implement to help with this? Just today, we've had an individual place two fraudulent orders. Is there any way to set a trigger such that if a customer places an order that is identified as high-risk, our digital download app will not display the downloads? 

Replies 4 (4)

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
1487 336 464

Look into the filter app that will automatically cancel High-risk orders https://apps.shopify.com/fraud-filter

But generally, depending on how post-purchase digital product access is set up, you might need to workaround solutions other than a basic filter.

Nick | Ecommerce & Marketing Technology Consultant | Toronto, CANADA
- For consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message or submit a ✍️Contact Form.
- For FREE Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube channel (▶️ Ecommerce TV).

JENLYNN
Tourist
4 0 1

YES. This is a problem I've been running into as well. I've been scammed several times and scammers get to walk away with my digital product for free. Hoping there is a solution in the near future for this!

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
211 3 96

We are adding a pre-checkout option to our app Real ID.

This means you'll have your KYC (know your customer) protection upfront before checkout.

That way, any digital download app or delivery system can deliver instantly to the customer. After Real ID has verified the customer's ID then you have that extra security step before you accept payment and instantly show the license key/code to the customer.

It's coming in the next month, just trialing it with a few stores now.

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.

Emilie_Jalie
Excursionist
19 0 7

We have the same issue. I can't believe Shopify lets people place orders using 5 different cards at checkout, several times every hour. The warning that appears after the order is created is useless as it is too late, the customer has already downloaded the goods.

Shopify needs to address this. We are "under attack" and the person has stolen over 800$ worth or digital products. I have not found an app that can prevent the order from being created. If anyone knows one, please let me know!