Fraudulent Storefronts

jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

How does Shopify prevent fraudulent storefronts from operating?  It seems that a bad apple can spoil the whole basket here.  Has anyone dealt with kenaishop.com?  Their website seems sketch.  Lots of inconsistencies in different sections of website. 

I purchased something from them and it was not delivered.  Emails to their support email are bounced back as undeliverable.  In addition WHOIS lookup of their domain lists a phone number that has links to scam websites when enter as Google searches.

Shopify keeps deflecting when I press them to investigate.

Jeff

Any advice?

Replies 15 (15)
jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

Has anyone dealt with this website?

Freddie
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
242 8 53

Hi, @jjs2089.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this experience when shopping from this online store. We absolutely do not tolerate any type of fraudulent activity on our platform, and we appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us or write in our Forums here to let us know so we can take action as necessary.

In these cases, it's always best to contact the business you had placed your order with initially for updates on your order. If you've done so and are having a tough time getting through to them or receiving any type of correspondence with information on the status of your order, at that point it's best to contact your bank or credit card provider to dispute the charge and recover your funds. In doing so, if the business you've placed your order with does operate on our platform, filing a claim with your bank will trigger a notification internally which our Operations team can use to investigate further into.

I do want to mention to you that we take these cases extremely seriously, seeing as previously mentioned, this type of behaviour is absolutely not tolerated on our platform from businesses. If you are browsing on an online store that seems sketchy and you're not completely comfortable ordering from them, sometimes reaching out to the business for more information before placing an order is a good way to help you judge if you want to order from them in the first place.

Having said that, I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened, and filing a claim with your bank is the best way to get your funds back and notifying our platform. In addition to that, you can file a formal complaint complaint directly with our internal team, via this link. Under 'Let us know what you need help with’ please type ‘never received order’ into the search box.

This will take you to a form which links to our internal team directly. Please note: our team will begin the investigation on orders not received after 30 days. This is to allow for potential shipping/production delays a business may have experienced.

25-49-30832-87817

After you have submitted that, a member of our Operations team will reach out to you with further information.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I hope this is helpful.

Freddie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

Thanks Freddie.

I have filed a complaint with Shopify and a member of your team has since reached out to me.  However, I see the shop is still active.  We'll see what comes of it.

There is no means of contacting the company as the email they list is fake and there is no phone number listed on the site.  In addition there are many red-flags I see now by looking at different pages on their site and by WHOIS look-ups of the site.  My CC company is already disputing the charges.

I think sites like this sully the Shopify name for all of your legitimate clients.

Live and learn.

Synria
1 0 0
I had the same exact issue this past 2 week's. My order was never sent and when I had contacted them the email bounced back saying the email did not exist. I will be bringing this up with my bank on Monday but it was extremely disappointing that the shop referenced Kenaishop, I purchased a birthday item, and the gift never sent. Super disappointed.
jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

Sorry to hear you had the same experience.  It's disappointing that Shopify allows this website to operate on their platform.  It will surely give others that use Shopify's platform a bad name.  And they haven't shut the site down even after I gave them a pile of evidence pointing to a scam website and inconsistencies in their website.  I guess money is more important to Shopify than the protection of customer information and customer money.  Shopify's  complacency in this matter is just sad.

jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

Freddie, I have reached out to Shopify, but apparently no action has been taken against the website.  It's still in operation.  There is now a second complaint logged here.  I'm sure there are others getting scammed by this website.  I alerted Shopify and included about a dozen inconsistencies and outright lies on their website, including PalPal being listed as a payment method, but not available upon checkout, 24/7 phone support listed, but no phone number on the website, two different operators of the website listed in different info sections of the website, a support email that does not exist, and addresses of Brooklyn, NY and Vietnam listed as their address.

This should raise red flags to anyone, and had I looked that deeply, I never would have purchased anything off of this website.

Shopify needs to shut them down NOW.  There is enough evidence to support this as a scam website and I'm sure many of the items I found and list above go against Shopify policies!

lsober01
3 0 0

I have had an issue with a store recently. The store is VaporMax!  What they have listed on their site is a lie and they sent me items that are not authentic! I have contacted the store, sent them a video of the items I received, per their site instructions and I have not heard anything from them in almost 2 weeks! I have sent another message but, they are simply not replying! So I am contacting Shopify because they are a merchant of yours.

This is illegal and this store is obviously a fraudulent one and a liability to Shopify! I need someone to contact me about how to get my money back or I am going to use other legal recourses! 

Lsober01

Kyle_Dayne
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Maybe its your fault for trying to order cheap fake designer clothing online and expecting something other than a scam bro

jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

Mr Dayne,

I'm not sure how your comment furthers the discussion of fraudulent websites operating on the Shopify platform.  Additionally, I'm not sure who you are replying to with comments of designer clothing, but my $7.50 T-shirts hardly qualify as designer.

If you wish to add constructive comments on how to stop fraudulent store fronts from operating on Shopify, by all means, comment away.  If you want to comment on anything besides that, please start a new thread.

Make Shopify better, help stop fraudulent activity on their platform.  This is a win for all.

lsober01
3 0 0
Kyle_Dayne, I have NO IDEA who you are and you obviously have NO IDEA who I
am, or what you are talking about! First off, I didn't order any articles
of clothing! Secondly, I didn't order anything named branded that could be
counterfeit! Third, you need to NEVER comment on anything and then make
stupid assumptions about what has happened!
BRAT
1 0 1

I ordered tshirts from Kenaishop about a month ago, inquired, they said they're on their way and gave me a fake tracking number. I requested a refund and they refused and continue to say the shirts are on their way. I filed a claim with my bank and got a refund, also reported Kenaishop to BBB. They are definitely fraudulent.

jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

Sorry to hear that.  I have contacted my CC company and they did a charge back, so I have my $ back.  

I've sent Shopify numerous emails detailing the discrepancies on their website.  The keep saying they will investigate, yet the site is still active.  It really seems to me that Shopify is more concerned about making money with its platform than it is with protecting the online community.

We'll see what comes of it.  If they get shut down, they'll just recreate under a different name.  Sad.  I've learned from this experience.

jjs2089
Excursionist
23 0 13

I encourage anyone having issues with kenaishop.com to send an email to support@shopify.com to let them know.  It's sad to say, but I don't think Shopify will take action on this website unless they are pressured.

kevinbom
3 0 0

There is one way to get shopify's attention to this matter. Never do business with ANY "business" with a .Shopify.com address, knowing that there is a high probability that it is a SCAM.  Make sure to notify everyone that you know to do likewise. If enough people do this, then Shopify will either lose the hosting business for any legitimate site hostings or they will have to start doing a better job of screening who they allow to use their name to do business.

I made a purchase yesterday and the site no longer exists today.  My mistake was thinking that since Spotify.com seemed to be a legitimate business I would be safe. Now I know better. Any business that regularly hosts scammers is effectively a scammer themselves since they are providing the front for such SCAMS.

Never again will I purchase anything from a Shopify storefront.

lsober01
3 0 0
Hello. I have dealt with other marketplaces and if I have reported that a
store was not selling authentic items, the site has always closed the
storefront and banned that merchant!! Shopify processed the payment and
have the money to the merchant yet they say that they couldn't give me my
money back! They made me call PayPal and they were no help at all!! I sent
pics and a video of what the store was marketing and what they were sending
me! One store tried to offer me a $25 partial refund for a $70 order!! I am
pissed!!! They do what they want to do and have no care for the customer.
I'm going to file a complaint with the FTC, the FCC and the BBB! This
seems to be the only way these companies get the message!

I too thought that Shopify was a safe marketplace but it isn't!! Shopify
has a duty to protect customers from known fraudulent activities and they
refuse to do so! So, I will let them explain this to the federal agencies
and they can try to explain their negligence to the BBB!!