Can you add Google Shopping data via CSV in Shopify?

KatieSummit
Excursionist
22 0 12

Hi there,

I exported the products in our store as csv in order to add data for google shopping (category, gender, age group), but after importing the updated csv file, the google shopping fields were still blank within the app. I then had a read over this page https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/import-export/using-csv#csv-files which says the following:

"The Google Shopping fields might be used by an app to sync products to the Google Merchant Center. However, Shopify's Google Shopping app doesn't use these metafields. You can ignore fields in the columns that include Google Shopping in their names unless an app tells you to use them."

Does that mean there is no way to add this data via CSV or do I need to be using a different app to do that? I'm curious why those columns exist in the shopify CSV template? I'm not sure how important that data is for google shopping, but would be great to have a way to add data in bulk.

Thanks!

Katie

Replies 18 (18)

DuaneBrown
Shopify Expert
1568 152 933

Why not just use the Shopify Google Shopping app to connect with store with your Google Merchant Center account?

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
smarthome-nz
Tourist
5 0 11

Hi Duane

I too am having this issue.  I'm planning to use the google shopify app to integrate to Merchant center, but the google meta data needs to be loaded first.
When there are hundreds/thousands of products in the online store, it would be much more productive to be able to update the google metadata fields via csv rather than through the UI.  

Has anyone else found a way to achieve this?  I would think this is a common pain point.

smarthome-nz
Tourist
5 0 11

Further information - after doing an export I can see that the import did in fact populate the google metadata fields from csv.  However as the text that the OP states, it appears that Google shopping channel (and most likely the shopify google app that syncs to merchant center) does not use these particular metadata fields, but uses different fields that are not exposed (available) through the Product import/export functionality and can only be entered through the UI.

This would seem to be a major design flaw.  I would be interested in feedback from Shopify as to why there are different metadata fields defined for google.

esons
Visitor
1 0 6

Thats really a joke of Shopify. I spent a lot of hours adding all google metafields in the CSV and it does not use those fields after the import!

What a joke.. totally useless

Shopify, please fix this ASAP!

JonSWR
Tourist
8 0 1

Is this still a problem?  I only recently started using Google Merchant and I have a separate feed in Google Sheets for all my data, but that requires me to manually copy my spreadsheet data into Sheets.  The advantage of this is that I have all my Google Shopping fields set up correctly.

I then added the Google App in Shopify, and it's been synching some products with Google Merchant, but I realize that some of the fields are wrong..like Google Product Category.

My Google Sheet is set up and accurate, and it's still only a minor inconvenience to occasionally update the stock availability manually, but would be great if I could get Shopify to sync automatically.

jimsarn
Tourist
4 0 1

Is there any update on this?

dcgo
Visitor
1 0 2

We are having the same issue here. Google shopping fields are not updating on Shopify after importing the csv file.

BespokenDavid
Visitor
2 0 0

Also wanting help with this 

beadandgem
Visitor
3 0 0

I am having the same issue. I have been going one by one updating the info needed for Google shopping app but it is taking forever because I have over 2,000 products. Is there a faster way to do this? Why do they have the google categories listed on the spreadsheet if it doesn't update them? Thank you.

Òscare
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

I'm facing this problem and there is not a single answer from Shopify. Should we understand there is no solution to this? Are you working on a solution? Is there some option to populate the Google fields in bulk from a CSV file. In the template you provide those fields are suposed to be fullfil. Any help will be more than welcome. Thanks in advance

bethjunk99
Visitor
1 0 1

I, too, am having the same issue.  Google won't approve my products because it thinks they are custom.  I can't update the fields and therefore can't sync with Google.  So frustrating.  Is Shopify fixing this or do I need to transfer to a different ecommerce solution?

Jaspers
Explorer
52 0 18

This is causing accounts to get suspended, its honestly PATHETIC on shopify I mean it's their fault for something of there's not working.... why shouldn't they fix it?

www.JaspersPlus.com

jaimie1
Visitor
1 0 2

Took me ages, like others I can't believe it's not in Shopify's default capacity. Solution was to use Matrixify's app to export the data and import, worked for me, How to bulk export and update Google Shopping fields in Shopify - (matrixify.app)

kenw2000
Visitor
1 0 1

I just wanted to thank you, this solution worked great.  For $20 it saved me countless hours.  It's dumbfounding this issue has been open for at least 3 years from what I can find, but at least you had a quick easy fix you found that worked!

Robbert2
Visitor
2 0 2

With Matrixify when i exported the metafields, i could only see 2 of the (maybe) 10 google fields, and those 2 were already filled in. So i couldn't see the custom labels for instance. Anyone else had that problem?

Renars
Shopify Partner
284 31 332

Hello @Robbert2 
By default, the Matrixify app exports Metafields that have values set in them for at least one of the exported Products or you can specify to add columns for definitions.
But in this case, as you would not have definitions, you would need to ensure that at least one of the exported Products has a value set in those Google fields. 
Then from such a file you could update values also for other products and import back to update.

This approach is also covered in our tutorial here - How to bulk export and update Google Shopping fields in Shopify

If you need any further assistance with this process, please reach out to Matrixify support directly.

Matrixify | Bulk Import Export Update | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://matrixify.app
Robbert2
Visitor
2 0 2

I see, great! Thanks for the quick response. I will get add it right away 😉

Gemz1
Excursionist
18 1 8

We are having the same issue on this.  Any progress other than having to purchase an app to do it?