Got tired of people stealing my product images. Made a copy cat checking website

smith1302
Shopify Partner
7 0 11

A year ago I launched my first e-commerce business. Custom products and everything. Within a few months, I noticed "copycats" popping up using the exact same product images (that I took) and description.

Normally to keep an eye on things I would do a reverse image search for my products every few days and send takedown emails as needed, but this became a bit of a chore as you can imagine.

So I built a tool called "Copy Cat Monitor" which does a reverse image search of all products on a store and shows you matches. The goal is to make it automatically monitor products by the hour and send alerts when a new store is found using the product.

I'm sure I can't be the only one with this issue, so I'm building a nice UI around it and intend to make it available for free at: https://copycatmonitor.com/

As of now, the tool simply pulls 12 products from a store and reverse searches the featured image and displays matches. The 12 product cap is just so my basic hosting doesn't get overloaded as I continue building it, but it will eventually work for all products.

Would anyone else use it? Would it be worth building out fully? Hoping to get some feedback 🙂

Reply 1 (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2778 440 566

Hi @smith1302 

I think this is a great idea! I think it would be particularly awesome for merchants who are selling custom artwork or designs. 

Once it launches, I think it would be really cool to see a counter to track how many times the search has been used. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog