Has anyone else seen this suspected scam? - Recovery Operations

Solved
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
929 58 103

@tbroen wrote:

Thank you for the response Sophia. I've also forwarded the same feedback to the recovery team. It seems the process has not really been designed, but just automated with the available tools. I've even just received a tracking number for my “purchse” at the Recovery Team. Not really something imagine will be very helpful as the “purchase” was payment for an outstanding customer return. Not really anything trackable.

/Thomas

Thanks, Thomas! I checked in with our Recovery Operations team to make sure that they received your email reply. I've shared this thread with them as well so they can consider the feedback from yourself and others in any future updates to the emails and collection process.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
ourikalondon
1 0 0

I've had exactly the same experience, I received an identical email to those above. I assumed it was legit because the amount corresponded exactly to my outstanding balance, so I clicked the link and made the payment and am now panicking as my balance owed hasn't changed / I haven't received a receipt, just an odd "order confirmation" and the whole payment process has been extremely sketchy. 

I've had to phone my bank and block my card as I am now concerned that I may have been scammed / data may have been leaked.

If this process is legitimate its really not clear, professional or reassuring - you receive an email from a random address and are asked to make a large payment via an online link without ever logging in to your Shopify store account. It's an alarming email as its worded as if your account will be disabled, which is why I rushed to pay without investigating enough. I was never notified or given a prior warning about this outstanding payment while logged into my store, I can find no record of it there and would have felt a lot more comfortable paying or receiving this kind of request via the console or shopify platform rather than through a random unverified link. 

Anyway I am hoping that I haven't fallen for a scam and that I can soon unblock my card. If it's legitimate, please change the process Shopify, its very stressful. 

0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
929 58 103

@ourikalondon wrote:

I've had exactly the same experience, I received an identical email to those above. I assumed it was legit because the amount corresponded exactly to my outstanding balance, so I clicked the link and made the payment and am now panicking as my balance owed hasn't changed / I haven't received a receipt, just an odd "order confirmation" and the whole payment process has been extremely sketchy. 

I've had to phone my bank and block my card as I am now concerned that I may have been scammed / data may have been leaked.

If this process is legitimate its really not clear, professional or reassuring - you receive an email from a random address and are asked to make a large payment via an online link without ever logging in to your Shopify store account. It's an alarming email as its worded as if your account will be disabled, which is why I rushed to pay without investigating enough. I was never notified or given a prior warning about this outstanding payment while logged into my store, I can find no record of it there and would have felt a lot more comfortable paying or receiving this kind of request via the console or shopify platform rather than through a random unverified link. 

Anyway I am hoping that I haven't fallen for a scam and that I can soon unblock my card. If it's legitimate, please change the process Shopify, its very stressful. 

Thank you for sharing your experience here, @ourikalondon

The email should come from an address associated with Shopify and the Recovery Operations team. If it seems like a random address, please report it to safety@shopify.com so our team can investigate. If you ever receive an email about your account that you're not absolutely positive came from Shopify, you can contact our Support team for confirmation before clicking on any links or engaging in any way. We are available 24/7 through the Shopify Help Center to answer your questions.

I will ensure that our Recovery Operations team receives your feedback on the process. If you have not yet received confirmation of payment in the meantime, please get in touch through the Shopify Help Center so our team can look into this for you. Thank you!

0 Likes
Hibbos
1 0 2

Just received the same email, ended up here trying to find out if it was a scam.

This is a very poor experience, this should be shown inside our dashboard at least. The email makes it sound like our account may be closed and threatening - "We require that you make a payment of £xxx.xx to keep your account open" - with no date or any further information.

Awful, and reading the other comments on how the balance does not show in the dashboard after payment makes me even less inclined to pay this way.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
929 58 103

@Hibbos wrote:

Just received the same email, ended up here trying to find out if it was a scam.

This is a very poor experience, this should be shown inside our dashboard at least. The email makes it sound like our account may be closed and threatening - "We require that you make a payment of £xxx.xx to keep your account open" - with no date or any further information.

Awful, and reading the other comments on how the balance does not show in the dashboard after payment makes me even less inclined to pay this way.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, @Hibbos. This has been shared with the Recovery Operations team.

I want to clarify that the amount requested in the email should be reflected on your Shopify Payments Payouts page, which can be found in the admin under Settings > Payments > View payouts. If the email is specifically pertaining to a Shopify Capital MCA, you can view the details under Settings > Capital.

If ever you receive an email about your store requesting an action you're not comfortable with, please contact Shopify Support via live chat, email, or callback in the Shopify Help Center so we can take a look into the store with you and confirm whether the email is from our team. We're available 24/7 to help you.

0 Likes