(HELP !!) Fake DMCA Counter Notice

angelina2
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi There !

A competitor sent me a DMCA 5 days ago, but I didn't copy his site (description, picture,..). He also said that I copied his products as well. But we both do dropshipping aliexpress, all products are on aliexpress.

I recently receive insults from strangers in my email box. I think this person just wants to do anything to shut down my site. That's why I don't want to reveal my personal information, to sign the DMCA counter notice. This person could use my information to damage my reputation on the internet.

I explained this to Shopify, but they didn't give me a solution. Have you encountered this problem before ? 
How can I do that now? Will Shopify shut down my site if I don't sign DMCA Counter Notice ? 

I wish you a great day,

Thank you very much !

Replies 14 (14)

angelina2
Visitor
3 0 0

UP plese help me

Reincarnated
Pathfinder
103 8 36

Shopify is Required by law to comply with any DMCA Notice.  They do not do the research to see if its Legit.  Thats where Lawyers come in.

You should do a counter.  However Unless the Competitor or you also files a lawsuit its temporary.  If they keep filing them to mess with you, I would talk to a Lawyer.  If everything is Legit, I would ask them if this Constitutes as Harassment or Corporate Sabotage.  If it does, you could be looking at a payout or they could even look at Jail time.  Just make sure you do not bad talk them over it at all, or it gives them something to throw back at you.

angelina2
Visitor
3 0 0

Thank you for your kindly reply.

I don't want to do a DMCA counter. Because I think it's risky to give them my personal information.

Do you know that Shopify will give them my information or close my site?

Reincarnated
Pathfinder
103 8 36

I would look up DMCA.  Generally speaking they can take down your products, for I want to say 10 days... cant remember.  If no lawsuit is started by the end of that time, they can go back up.

allforyou1
Tourist
3 0 1

Can someone from Shopify or anyone out there please give me some help with this topic.
I had a Shopify store file two fake DMCA notices against me. When I received the DMCA notice, the links that were alleged to bo copyright didn't even work, furthermore the Shopify store that was claiming copyright wasn't also open.
This is a clear indication that Shopify doesn't even check the complainant's material or ask for original work. This is so devastating and a major flaw that will allow a competitor or only someone who has nothing better to do, wake up one day and say hey I'm going to file another fake DMCA.

The competitor was selling the same product from Ali express that I was, and somehow ran across my advertisement and claimed pictures, video, and the product description was their original work.
After the DMCA period, they did it again, and now Shopify threatened to suspend or shut down my account.

So the truth is irrelevant, and I guess if you want to mess with someone's store, you can do this out of free will knowing that nine times out of ten, they don't have money to take them to court.

foxmox
Excursionist
23 0 6

Hi,

I have the same problem.

What is the solution please ?

yastta
Visitor
1 0 0

me too 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@foxmox  , @yastta 

The only legitimate solution is to talk with an actual lawyer, don't bet you business on random forum advice.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Jordan94
Visitor
2 0 0

We're receiving continuously FAKE DMCA's from one of our competitors. However, Shopify keeps shutting down our products without even having the reason for it. In fact, these products and content inside are totally different than the one from our competitor who's filling those DMCAs.

After our products get activated in the next 10 days "The Competitor" fills another FAKE DMCA and it is a continuous process every time! He can't sue us because we're not in infringes on the copyright or trademarks of others.

It really causes us a lot of problems but we're unable to contact anyone from Shopify who can give us an appropriate answer. Even though nobody pick up the phone once we try to call Shopify Support Team.

We're really desperate and we're looking for someone eligible to talk with!

FMonibacci
Tourist
12 0 0

Hey, I have the same problem. Do you know how to resolve it?

Jordan94
Visitor
2 0 0

No updates yet, unfortunately, there is no exact way to resolve it. 

FMonibacci
Tourist
12 0 0

F***** sore losers (competitors)

TheW962
Excursionist
18 0 2

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? This is happening to me to.

LunaLance
9 0 0

Did you or anyone else figure out a solution to this? Thanks