Help! Product CSV File Upload Error: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

RetroArt
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm trying to upload a CSV file with 25 products; there are no options/variants for the products but most of the products do have more than one image. On my first attempt, 14 products of 49 uploaded successfully, but I cannot upload the remaining 35. I get the "Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists." for every line. The current file is formatted EXACTLY the same way; all I did was delete the rows with the successfully uploaded products. Anyone have a solution??

Replies 90 (90)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @RetroArt!

What steps have you tried already in terms of troubleshooting? When it comes to this error, this typically means you'll want to delete "Default Title" from every line other than the first line of each product. However, if your main goal is to upload multiple images per product, then following our guide here should help outline the steps you'll need to take to achieve this. 

If this doesn't work then feel free to post a few screenshots of your CSV, or upload the file to Settings/Files, and paste the link here as I'd be happy to help get that resolved. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Lubabalo_Mazong
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi Guys

Seems like almost all of us newbies kinda hit the rock error..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/6079/9033/files/New_Shopify.csv?5    

this is the link for any expert to help please and thank

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @Lubabalo_Mazong!

Taking a look at your CSV file, I can see that you have multiple lines of the same handle but the titles vary: 

24-07-5tldu-z4ebv

What your file is telling our system is that line 2 is the parent product, and lines 3-7 are the variants (children to the parent). If this is intended, then you'd need to remove the titles and descriptions from lines 3-7, and use Option 1 Name & Value to describe the variant options. If these are intended to be separate products altogether, then the handle must be unique for every product. You can download a sample CSV here which should help with getting this fixed up. 

Let me know how that goes!

Lubabalo_Mazong
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

10 Likes from me. Thanks Peter

TheLion
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi @Trevor 

I'm having the same problem, please can you check out my csv for problems?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0077/7846/7895/files/products_export_few_lines_and_images.csv?233

I'm trying to import 13 products with single images each, but receiveing this error:
Line 2-14: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists. 

My products are simple and have no variants. But with "Title" and "Default Title" as my Options1 Name and Options1 Value, no luck.

Your soonest response will be much appreciated thanks

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @TheLion!

Taking a look, each product is missing a handle. This file should load perfectly fine once you add unique handles to each product line: 

28-49-bgyfp-yuawe

Hope that helps!

TheLion
Visitor
2 0 1
Works perfectly thank you
estuffs
Visitor
3 0 0

Same error here, https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1742/2493/files/shopify-product_template_-_Copy.csv?1154

I want to add multiple images to one product for the same handle.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@estuffs 

Currently, your CSV file is telling the system that you have 1 product, with multiple variant options as you have most columns filled in. To add additional images to a specific product, you'd need to create a new row for each image. You'd need to fill in the handle and the image source columns for each new line which should give you the desired result. We have a help doc here that dives into these steps in further detail if you need it! 

Let me know if you have any questions!

TeddyRambo
Tourist
8 1 1

Hi @Trevor 

Can you please let me know what the correct format is for importing a product with two variants, for example color and size ?

I've tried including options1name and options2Name on the same line for a product but get errors when importing.

Then i tried on separate lines and still got errors

Thanks for your help

HandleTitleBody (HTML)VendorTypeTagsPublishedOption1NameOption1ValueOption2NameOption2ValueOption3NameOption3 ValueVariant SKUVariant GramsVariant Inventory TrackerVariant Inventory QtyVariant Inventory PolicyVariant Fulfillment Service
LampTable Lamp
<h2 TABLE LAMP</h2>  
 LampsLightingTRUEColorWhitesizeLarge  abc   DenyManual
Lamp       Orange Small  abcd   DenyManual
Lamp       Chocolate    abcde   DenyManual
Lamp       Black    abcdef   DenyManual
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@TeddyRambo 

When creating a product that has more than one variant option, then you'll need to ensure that each possible variation is created. This means that if you have White, then you need to have a line for white/small and white/large as the system won't automatically assume that each option has a specific size associated to it. 

19-09-evqut-j8zvw

Hope that helps!

JulianAlb
Visitor
2 0 0

Do you mind helping me with my problem?

Here are screenshots of my .csv file and the errors I get.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 9.46.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-28 at 9.45.23 AM.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@JulianAlb 

The likely answer for the first error is that the inventory field is either blank or has an invalid entry. The inventory policy needs to be set to 'deny' or 'continue', if its left blank, or has any other value then this error will appear. For the second and third errors, products with only a single option should be set to Title under the "Option 1 Name" field.  Followed by Default Title in "Option 1 Value" if the product has only a single option. If it has more than one option, then you will need to input valid entries for each field. I'd recommend reviewing our CSV help doc here as it dives into each column, and whether or not it is required. 

JulianAlb
Visitor
2 0 0

I'm getting more errors when I tried to do what you said. Please take a look at the attached images. I would love your help.

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 7.20.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-04 at 7.19.40 AM.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@JulianAlb 

Thank you for the screenshot. It's hard to troubleshoot this further without looking at the file directly as there could be a number of variables in play. I've shipped you an email to acquire the CSV file from you. If you can follow up on that email as soon as you're able then I can help get this reviewed. 

Julia_S
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi @Trevor 

I got the same issue that it keeps showing "Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exist" too.
Could you please help me look into it? Thank you!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fI711kv6iNzHJ_V1NStjIMitIZD-sDIA/view?usp=sharing

Please look into the sheet "sheet for checking".
Only the products (Line 71~82) in yellow background got this issue, the rest had been uploaded successfully.
I set up 3 lines per product due to multiple images for a product.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Julia_S 

I'm afraid the CSV you've provided is not correctly formatted and has attribution errors, so I can't properly diagnose the issue. I would recommend reviewing our CSV help document here to ensure your columns are named correctly, in the correct order, and have the correct values. 

Julia_S
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi @Trevor 

Sorry but could you please explain in more details about which part went wrong?

I'd exported the products that are successfully uploaded and use the format to upload the other products, but it still failed. 

By any chance you could help me look into it? Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LC9JuBTCmQlmR38WPvxN1lTEobTML5JS/view?usp=sharing

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Julia_S 

The new CSV file you provide only has a few lines; however, it appears that the column "SKU" is misplaced

17-11-36692-46363

In addition, you are missing columns such as Option 1 Name, and Option 1 Value. Reordering/removing columns could result in formatting issues and/or importing issues. You will need to review the help document I provided in my previous reply to ensure you have all the required columns in the correct order. You can download a sample CSV file here. 

Once you've ensured you have the right formatting, and all applicable columns, then try the import again. If that doesn't work, then I will need to know what errors you got, along with access to the CSV file you used. The errors will appear in email format once the file has been imported. 

Julia_S
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi @Trevor ,

Thanks for your reply!

I've reorganized the format and made it same as the sample csv.

Here is the link to the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u39b7bAQ8ePOR6o5-3yoYo9TALXtZDpm/view?usp=sharing 

However, I still received an email that told me the upload is failed.

Could you please help me look into it? About the email, please refer to below:

The product CSV file that you started importing at February 18, 2021, 10:22 am is now complete.

·        4 products couldn't be changed due to invalid information

To import products that couldn't be updated, fix any errors in the CSV file and try importing it again.

Failed:

·        Line 2-49: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

·        Line 50-97: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

·        Line 98-145: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

·        Line 146-193: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Julia_S 

Starting with the first product, VSMK024 - What are the variant lines for? Are they only to be used for images, or are they additional variant options? If they are being used for additional images, then you need to remove the data from a number of columns as your CSV is currently telling our system that the additional lines are for different product options. 

Based on your current CSV...

For additional images, you do not need data in columns:

• Variant Inventory Tracker
  • Variant Inventory Qty
  • Variant Inventory Policy
  • Variant Fulfillment Service
  • Variant Requires Shipping
  • Variant Taxable

The only columns you should have data in for additional images are Handle, Image Source, Image position (if applicable), and Image Alt Text. More information on how to add multiple images can be found here. 

Once you've fixed that for each product, give it another try. 

Julia_S
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi @Trevor ,

Awesome. Thank you for your suggestion. I can successfully upload those products now!
I used the variant lines in the beginning because I thought the was for me to set the inventory. Do you have any solution that I can set up the inventory quantity in CSV?

Also, I've got another issue here. Please check below link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aUcENoTG73ldBzK1q9BKM0YQYRfrihpk/view?usp=sharing
There are 2 sheets, "uploaded" is the one that had been modified as you suggested and successfully uploaded, "failed" are the new products I tried to upload the same way but failed.
Below is the email that I received. However, I can found the file in these URLs.
There are also products that had been uploaded successfully before, which use the same URLs and there was no this kind of issue.
Could you please help me look into it? Thank you!

The product CSV file that you started importing at February 25, 2021, 4:11 pm is now complete.

·        10 products couldn't be changed due to invalid information

To import products that couldn't be updated, fix any errors in the CSV file and try importing it again.

Failed:

·        Line 2-49: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_White... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 50-97: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Latte... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 98-145: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Root_... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 146-193: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Citro... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 194-241: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Stone... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 242-289: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Orchi... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 290-337: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Grey_... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 338-385: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Storm... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 386-433: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Anthr... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

·        Line 434-481: Validation failed: Image https://blindsandcurtainsdirect.com/tw/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vision_blinds_Elementi_Comfy_Charc... | failed to download. - file not found. Check that file can be found at your URL.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Julia_S 

Inventory would be a separate CSV. You can learn more about the Inventory CSV through our help center here. 

There are a few culprits that could cause an image error: 

________

Culprit 1: 

Some self-hosting solutions allow for public-facing images but protect the links on the server using different levels of 3rd party permissions. This would be known as Read Only permissions.

The CSV requires READ & WRITE permissions to be available on the folder in your file server that houses the images. Once the CSV has finished importing the images, the original folder Read-Only permissions can be re-instated.

Culprit 2: 

Commonly, merchants will try to use a private or invalid URL to instruct Shopify about what images it should grab for their products. It's important to remember that it needs to be a DIRECT link to a PUBLIC image. In other words, the URL should end in the file name (ie. alekmackie.com/images/myproduct.jpg), and visiting that URL in your browser should bring you to a page with JUST that image, and no other content.

Culprit 3: 

The file server is denying our request. It could see multiple attempts to download the image as "bot" activity, or simply is rejecting our request to download the image. 

________

Your error is likely connected to Culprit 1 or 3 as it does not appear to be connected to number 2. In any case, our support would be limited as we can't control how the image server you're using reacts to our request. If you're still having trouble uploading the images after checking the permission, then you may want to touch base with Amazon or use a different image hosting software. 

@singhudit61 

I would need to know the errors and would need access to the file to better understand the issue. If you can supply the information you've received in the email, along with the file, then I'd be happy to review your issue further. 

Julia_S
Tourist
8 0 2

Thank you @Trevor for sorting out the possible reasons. I've passed this issue to our server where we store the images.

Hopefully they will find a way to solve this issue soon. Much appreciated!

Nergiz
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Trevor 

I'm having the same error message: "The variant 'Default Title' already exist" for almost all lines. I uploaded the screenshot of CSV file. Can you please check it an tell me what am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 16.03.33.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Nergiz 

What are the additional lines for each product? Are they additional variant options, or are they being used for adding additional images?

Yedigunmarka
Tourist
16 0 2

@Trevor 

Hello

We get same error too : Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exis.. Can you help me please? We have usually S M L XL XXL for one product..

Screenshot 2021-08-09 18.33.16.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Yedigunmarka 

Your CSV looks correct, so I'm not sure what the issue could be without looking at the file directly. If you can provide access to the file then I can take a closer look. 

Yedigunmarka
Tourist
16 0 2

@Trevor 

I uploaded to dropbox. When you received, please notice me. I will delete
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3onkrujhaaepcss/Web%20-%20product_template%20%283%29%20%281%29.csv?dl=0

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Yedigunmarka 

Thank you. I've downloaded a copy and will review this and get back to you. 

Yedigunmarka
Tourist
16 0 2

Thank you

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Yedigunmarka 

I renamed columns H & I to Option1 Name and Option1 Value instead of Renk and Beden. I also removed all values in column Z (Image Position). The only error I received after importing the CSV with those changes was: 

• Line 2534-2541: Validation failed: Image

Yedigunmarka
Tourist
16 0 2

@Trevor 

Can you send me mail the documents please? yedigunmarka@gmail.com

Nergiz
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey @Trevor 

The lines are for additional pictures.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@Nergiz 

You should only have values in the following columns if the rows are intended for adding additional pictures: 

• Handle 
  • Image Source 
  • Image Alt Text (optional)

Values in any other column will result in an error appearing. We have step-by-step instructions on how to add additional images to your CSV file here. 

britishdsire
Visitor
3 0 0

@Trevor 

Hello I am Facing a validation error: "The variant 'Default Title' already exists"

this is my CSV file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MJ5NlMElxlliADIu9p23cFdq4h9BTi_A/view?usp=sharing

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@britishdsire 

You don't have any values in Option 1 Name & Option 1 Value which is required as per our help document here. You will also need to fix your handles. Handles can contain letters, dashes, and numbers, but no spaces, accents, or other characters, including periods. Handles are used in the URL for each product.

Derek_Morin
Shopify Expert
216 1 34

If your CSV file doesn't have any "handle", you can try the Moose Sync app to import your products and schedule some automatic updates.

By default, if the handle is missing, it will "fill" it with the Product title data. If you don't have any product title either, well that's bad from a customer-experience point of view, but still, Moose Sync can make it work by filling the Product title with the content from one or more other "columns" (csv field). For example, using a "virtual field", you can aggregate 2 fields, let's say "SKU" and "ShortDescription" into one single field (Product title) and import your data smoothly in your Shopify store. 

maudie
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Peter,

Can you help me too please? I do not want to add variants, I just want to add 4 images for EVERY product. I can send you my excel file with all the products if you like.

Best,

Maud

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@maudie 

Our help doc here dives into the steps on how to add multiple images to your CSV file for each product. If you have any issues getting that setup, let me know! 

TanshaQuo
Visitor
3 0 0

I am facing a similar issue, have to upload hundred but not succesfull for 5 also. 

Please help solve below error:

Failed:

• Line 2-14: Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exists.
HandleTitleBody (HTML)VendorTypeTagsPublishedOption 1Option 1 ValueOption 2Option 2 ValueOption 3Option 3 ValueVariant SKUVariant Grams
Brass FigurinePAGADI GANESHAPremium Brass GaneshaMantraFigurineGod figurineTRUEColourBrass CopperSize19"Warranty2 year 20000
Brass Figurine Premium Brass GaneshaMantraFigurineGod figurineTRUEColour

Brass Antique

Size19"Warranty2 year 20000
Brass FigurineLAKSHMIPremium Brass FigurineMantraFigurineGod figurineTRUEColourMicro Gold CoatingSize3.25"Warranty5 Years 270
Brass FigurineGOMATHABlessing of Holy CowMantraFigurinefigurineTRUEColour

Brass Antique

Size5.5"Warranty2 year 2160
Brass FigurineGOMATHABlessing of Holy CowMantraFigurinefigurineTRUEColourBrass CopperSize2.75Warranty2 year 420
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@TanshaQuo 

All of your handles are the same, but you have multiple titles that indicate these are separate products. You would need to update the handles if they are separate products, or remove the titles except for the first one and try again. 

stallionretail
4 0 0

Hi Peter 

I have been trying everything suggested on this forum but still have this same problem.Validation failed: The variant 'Default Title' already exist. 

Can you check my csv file

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0377/3782/4301/files/product_template25.csv?v=1596029935

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@stallionretail 

As you're using the additional fields for images, and not variants, the CSV file is confusing the system by having values in the following columns: 

• Option 1 Name
  • Option 1 Value
  • Variant Fulfillment Service
  • Variant Requires Shipping
  • Variant Inventory Tracker
  • Variant Inventory Policy
  • Variant Grams
  • Variant Taxable 
  • Gift Card
  • Variant Weight Unit

Removing the values that appear in each of the columns for rows 3-5, 7-9, and 11-13 will result in a successful import. A few things to note about your CSV file:

• Your handles are quite long. I would recommend shortening the handles to make it appear cleaner, and more concise. 
  • You'll want to add inventory to the products as currently they are set to 0

Let me know if you run into any issues!

stallionretail
4 0 0

Hi Peter 

Thank you so much, work well. I think my handle was so long, I just create short handle and works well. I dont know how to add inventory to the products, I filled the Variant Inventory Qty 10 but uploaded 0 quanity.

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 6.19.51 PM.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@stallionretail 

If the products have already been created within your admin, then you will need to import the CSV but select the "Overwrite" option when importing your CSV file:

20-07-qsql0-cg8uw

Using this option will update the products with the new information you have inputted into the CSV file. 

stallionretail
4 0 0
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

@stallionretail 

Ah! My apologies, I realize my mistake now. When reviewing the CSV file, I was a bit confused about why this wasn't working. Due to the launch of "locations", the inventory can not be updated via a regular product CSV and would require using an "Inventory" CSV. You can access the inventory area by going to Products/Inventory, and export your current products. From there, update the inventory fields, and import the newly saved CSV file. 

I'm sorry I missed that before, but that should do the trick!

stallionretail
4 0 0

Hi Peter,

Do you know how to make products available on all channels? 

I can only  make them available for  50 products, I have almost 1k inventory. I dont know how can I do it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 11.37.19 PM.png