Re: How to Enter a Partial Refund

How can I apply a partial refund on a single-item order?

ChrisK2
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, I have a customer that placed a single-item order but he neglected to apply a discount code at checkout that we made available to him. He is now asking that we apply the discount code retroactively. So is there a way to apply a partial refund to a single-item order (or retroactively apply a discount code)? Our payment gateway is Authorize.net. Thanks.

Chris

Replies 5 (5)

ThePrecisionist
Shopify Partner
33 3 13

Hi there, @ChrisK2 

I hope you are doing well today! Thanks for bringing your question to our Community forum. I completely understand the importance of being able to offer a partial refund on a single item order. I am more than happy to provide you with some suggestions. 

To gather a little bit more context, was the payment processed through Shopify Payments or a Third-party payment provider? If the answer is Shopify payments, you can follow these steps to process a partial refund on the item: 

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.

2. Click the order that you want to refund.

3. In the Order Details section, click Refund.

4. Rather than using the counter to refund the entire product amount, you can use the Refund Amount option here: 

ThePrecisionist_0-1662912015060.png

5. Optional: Enter a reason for the refund. 
  6. Click Refund to issue a refund for the desired amount. 

If you are using a third-party payment processor, please let me know which gateway was used. In the meantime, we have a great help document for reference here: Creating returns and refunds

OR 

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.

2. Click the order that you want to refund.

3. In the Order Details section, click Refund.

4. Enter the quantity of the products that you want to refund. Any products with a quantity set to 0 won't be refunded.

The Refund amount (not the Total available to refund amount) is updated, minus any shipping charges. You can manually edit this amount (for example, to charge your customer a restocking fee). You can also add a refund for any shipping charges.

5. Optional: Enter the shipping amount that you want to refund into the Shipping field.

6. Optional: If the order includes duties and import taxes, then select whether you want to refund Duties and import tax on refunded items and Additional fees: Customs clearance.

7. If you've shipped the items but your customer hasn't returned them yet, then uncheck Restock items. This checkbox is visible only if you're tracking inventory for the items included in the order.

8. Optional: Enter a reason for the refund.

9. Click Refund to issue a refund for the items that you've chosen.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, so that we can continue to work on this together. 

Please Like and Accept Solution. Free shopify website audit to grow your business Chat on WhatsApp | Email: the.ideal.precisionist@gmail.com | | Hire us | Expert Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development & Modifications any Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO| Digital Marketing
ChrisK2
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, as mentioned in my original post we are using Authorize.net and not Shopify Payments. Thanks.

ChrisK2
Visitor
3 0 0

...and I believe Elavon is the gateway we are using for Authorize.net. Please let me know if there is a way to proceed. Thx.

Chris

ShaneTCC
Tourist
6 0 5

@ChrisK2 :  I'll share what I have experienced, as we have this issue OFTEN, because Discount Ninja is glitchy with other apps (and Shopify itself) and a significant % of our customers don't get the automatic discounts we set up to work site-wide. We also use Authorize.net as our Payment Processor.

My experience has been that, following the instructions from @ThePrecisionist in this post does work, BUT you will probably have to wait a couple of days after Payment Capture until the payment has been "Settled" by Authorize.net, which typically happens late afternoon of the day of Payment Capture. However, more often that not, I have to wait for ANOTHER 24 hours before Shopify/Auth.net will actually PROCESS the Refund -- it will refuse until it's ready, and it's not entirely clear when that "ready" will happen. I haven't found any other way around this yet. It throws off our accounting, but we adjusted to that...

loomlight
Visitor
1 0 0

I need to refund the customer a custom amount. I understand you use the "Refund Amount" under Refund Shippping, however the amount I want to refund is greater than the shipping cost, so it does not allow me to refund it. How do I work around this?