How can I effectively reply to blog comments?

DeronDust
Visitor
1 0 0

I am trying to find a way to reply to blog comments.  I can't seem to find any answers on the subject.  Has anyone figured this out?  Thanks!

Replies 17 (17)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1710 199 299

Hey there, @DeronDust

Thanks for reaching out to the Shopify Community today! This is a great place to come anytime you have questions about your store, or anything else Shopify related! 

This is a great question and something I've seen asked about a lot here. Currently, how you want to reply to comments to your blog posts is to access your store as a customer would, navigate to the blog post, and create and post your reply on that page. There is no blog comment reply functionality built into the Shopify Admin currently, so this has been the standard workaround that folks have been using for sometime. 

The ability to directly reply to blog comments has been something long requested however, so I'm going to pass your additional request here to our product development team. We can't say for certain if this functionality will be built, but the more folks we have requesting it, the more likely it is something will be done! If this functionality does end up being implemented in the future, you'll see so on our Annoucnments Blog page and our Changelog! 

Something that I found that can simulate direct blog comment replies are third party applications. There is a fantastic one by the name of Sunny that allows you to receive blog comments as emails. Once you receive the emails, you can reply to the comment directly from your email inbox and it will automatically be added as a comment and reply to your blog for the customer to see. The customer is also then notified of the reply and will be prompted to check it out! Honestly, this is a super fantastic tool that more people should take advantage of! 

If you have any additional questions about this information, just reply to this thread and let me know! 

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

pjmmpls
Explorer
42 0 129

I (and so many other people) have been asking for this for three years now? why is it not a priority? 

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1710 199 299

Hi there, @pjmmpls

Thanks for joining in on the conversation here! While I was originally researching this, I did find some older requests and discussions around this topic so it certainly has been something people have asked us about over time. 

Although I cannot comment on any outcomes of requested features, or timelines on when a potential feature may be released, I can comment on the process these requests go through. When someone makes a request for a feature that isn't something currently offered, we turn that request into an information piece that we pass along to our product development team. From there, these requests are documented and addressed internally. 

Alongside the other requests submitted to the team in the past, I had gone ahead and submitted an additional one for this particular feature once I saw this discussion pop up. My biggest piece of advice for folks looking for a feature, is to write into our Support Team directly and let them know you desire the feature so they can submit their own information to the development team. The more folks let us know that a feature is desired, the more likely it is to see something pushed down the pipeline. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions about my provided information. 

cocorostudios
Tourist
9 0 6

HELLO SUPPORT TEAM, HERE I AM WRITING YOU TO REQUEST THE CAPABILITY TO RESPOND TO BLOG COMMENTS! Trying to get in touch with someone is bonkers, and I get sent in a circle, and you tell me to "write the support team directly" with no specifics on how to do that exactly.  Either way, WHY IS THIS STILL NOT AN OPTION, TO SIMPLY RESPOND TO A CUSTOMER/READER'S BLOG COMMENT?! Please enable this, or advise accordingly. Thank you.

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1710 199 299

Hey there, @cocorostudios. Thanks for joining in on our conversation here!

Our Product Team is aware of the value that a more robust blog commenting system would add for our Merchants, and it's feedback we receive in threads such as these that allows us to get back in touch with the Team to re-iterate the value an updated system would bring. Though I can't comment on a timeline for when this functionality may appear, you can trust that the team is looking into things. I'm happy to let you know that I've passed your specific comment to the team for their consideration.

As a workaround, accessing your store how your customers do, and replying to comments directly in the comments themselves would work. This is how many folks currently reply to their customer comments. 

When it comes to getting in touch with the Support Team, you can use this link here to do so. I've also added this link to the reply I made above for accessibility, as well. I often refer folks to go this route when they are passionate about passing along feedback, as this allows the feedback to be directly linked to your store, as your feedback is coming through an authenticated channel.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to follow up with me here and let me know!

EmptySet
Tourist
3 0 7

Hi Imogen, I'm a new Shopify customer, and if I had known the Shopify blog system wouldn't allow the single most basic element of customer interactivity on blogs, I would have never chosen Shopify as a solution. I feel so blindsided. It never occurred to me to investigate if I could reply directly to customer comments, because that has been a cornerstone of blogging for decades.

Is this something that is going to get fixed?

Yes, I know I can make a comment and mention the person I am replying to, but those replies are not threaded in order, and there is no way for the commenter to know a reply has been written. 

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1710 199 299

Hi there, @EmptySet. Thanks for following up on our thread here regarding blogs.

At this time, I don't have a timeline that can be shared around when replying directly to comments on your blogs may become part of the blog product offering. Our developers are aware of the requests for this feature, and I'm happy to pass your feedback here along to the team, as well. I can't comment on what the result of passing your feedback along will be, but you can be confident that the team is aware of it, and aware of this thread.

jimfr38
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello Imogen,
I'm looking for a way to reply to comments in my blog. I've been using Shopify for several years and I chose to use Shopify for my new blog because it's a powerful and robust platform. Little did I know that the basic function of replying to a comment was not a standard feature! I understand that the request is regularly made to the dev team, but in this case, you have to escalate and turn to general management to alert them to this anomaly. The blog is an indispensable tool for improving conversion and attracting customers. It's a powerful generator of natural traffic. It's imperative that you propose a solution!
Bravo for the Shopify platform, which is an exceptional tool, but your blog tool is the worst I've ever seen.
I hope that this time someone will take the measure of the urgency at Shopify.
Have a nice day.

Jean-Marc

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2405 454 405

Hey @jimfr38.

Thanks for reaching out on this thread.

We appreciate the feedback that you have provided and I can certainly see the benefit of allowing you to easily respond to blog comments. With that being said, I am going to provide this a suggestion to include to our developers. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 

jdicedragons
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Ollie, what update is there on this? This is a very simple feature that Shopify customers have been requesting for several years (I have seen other threads spanning as far back as 2019). Replying to comments has been a given for all blog platforms in my view since the inception of blogging (interaction with commentors is half the point of a blog).

Blair
Shopify Staff
1944 258 229

Hi @jdicedragons,

Thanks for adding to this thread. 

While I can understand the impact, we wouldn't have insight on whether this feature will become available. As this feedback has been passed along, you can continue checking the Shopify Changelog for updates on what's to come. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Blair | Shopify 

dmd_88
Visitor
2 0 2

Looking for this function as well to be developed.

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1710 199 299

Hey there, @dmd_88. Thanks for joining in on the thread! It's nice to meet you!

I'm happy to pass along your feedback here about your request for this feature. Do you mind sharing with us why you'd like to see the ability to reply to blog comments get built? Do you use your blog often in your shop? We'd love to have some of the context behind the 'why' here, so we can make sure this is a great piece of feedback to pass along. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

cocorostudios
Tourist
9 0 6
Hi there,

The "why" behind requesting it being built is so that I can reply to my
customers/visitors who leave a comment-- it's one way we business owners
build rapport and relationships, especially when virtual and we don't have
the opportunity to have a face-to-face interaction. I've shared the blog,
then ask them their thoughts, and they've taken their time to comment, but
I can't respond with anything... I would hope the platform would invite
engagement, not just them speaking to a wall.

I'm hoping to use this feature more, but without having the capability to
even interact with them once they leave a comment deters me from utilizing
the blog feature. I spent a long time on the blog and it was so
disappointing when I learned I couldn't even reply 😕

Thank you for your time and passing along the feedback!

pjmmpls
Explorer
42 0 129

Why? It would be the natural progression, we write an article, people have opinions, start a conversation in the comment section, and expect a response. This is not a new concept we have developed... I am confused about the "why"

In the last four years of my asking for this capability, other app designers have jumped on the chance to make this happen for us. I now pay a monthly fee, so when someone does comment, I can respond.  It was just that easy for them and another bill for me. 

That's why.

Big-Dawg
Tourist
7 0 5

Customer ask questions and if we answer the questions maybe other customers will be informed and decide to purchase from us. Sounds simple to me.

webdeveloperpro
Visitor
2 1 1

Hi there,

The process of replying to blog comments can vary depending on the platform you're using for your blog. Generally, most content management systems (CMS) have a straightforward way to reply directly to comments left on your articles. If you're using WordPress, for instance, you can simply go to the 'Comments' section in your dashboard and click 'Reply' under the comment you wish to respond to. For platforms like Blogger, Medium, or others, you usually have similar options available right below the comment itself.

If you're running an e-commerce store on Shopify and have a blog through that platform, Shopify Web Developers often recommend using third-party apps to manage comments and improve engagement. Shopify's built-in blog functionality is somewhat limited in terms of interaction, but third-party apps can offer advanced features like threaded comments, upvoting, and notifications, making it easier for you to reply and manage the comments on your blog.

Hope this helps!