Solved

How can I reset two-factor authentication after changing phones?

jakuuman
Visitor
1 0 0

I have two step authentication enabled on my account.Changed phones so I do not have the authentication app set up to receive code. Don't have the 12 digit recovery code.

Is it possible to turn off the two step authentication in order to access the account and reset my authentication app? 

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution (1)
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @jeffgonser!

Welcome to Shopify Community and thank you for joining this thread. My name is Olivia and I will be assisting you on behalf of my colleague today.

Since this is a public space, we are unable able to authenticate users or access store information. To give you the support you need, our talented agents are on standby 24/7. Please connect with our Support team directly at your earliest convenience to move forward with accessing your account. 

As this is the best solution going forward, I will be closing this thread and marking this resolved for the benefit of future readers.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 28 (28)

Ash
Shopify Staff (Retired)
764 88 161

Hey, @jakuuman!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I understand you're having some difficulty accessing your shop. It sounds like two-factor authentication is enabled, but you're no longer in possession of the phone number used to set it up nor the recovery codes. In cases like this, our team will need to manually authenticate you on the account in question and disable this feature. We can't do this over the public forums, so I've sent you an email to the email address associated with your Shopify Community account. Please reply to that email, and once I've heard back I will explain the next steps. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

neekthesupreme
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I am having the same issue with one of my shopify stores. I changed my telephone number that is linked to the account for two-step authentication and now can't access it at all. 

Ash
Shopify Staff (Retired)
764 88 161

Hey, @neekthesupreme!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to the Shopify Community! 

I understand you no longer have access to the phone number you used to set up two-step authentication, and thus are locked out of your account. I'm happy to help out with this situation. When two-step authentication is enabled on a Shopify account, we generate 10 recovery codes for you. You can use a recovery code instead of the 6-digit code generated by your mobile app to log in. Once logged in, you can disable two-step authentication, and then re-enable it with your updated contact information to prevent this issue from recurring. 

If you don't have access to the recovery codes, then please reply back here to let me know. In that case, we'll need to manually authenticate you on the account in question in order to proceed with removing the security feature. 

artbymonday
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I am having the exact same issue. My email is artbymonday@gmail.com.

Ash
Shopify Staff (Retired)
764 88 161

Hey, @artbymonday!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to this thread and to the Shopify Community! 

I'm happy to help out with the problem you're facing trying to log into your account. It sound like you have two-step authentication enabled, but no longer have access to the phone number used to set it up. Do you have access to the Recovery Codes that are provided upon setting this feature up? As I mentioned in my previous post, one of those codes can be used instead of the regularly generated one in these situations. 

If don't have access to those Recovery Codes either, then we'll need to move our conversation to email for authentication so we can loop in our accounts team to manually remove the security feature. I've just sent an email to the email address associated with your Shopify Community account. If you need our team to remove two-step authentication for you, please reply to the email I've sent and we can proceed with your request. 

jeffgonser
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey Ash,

We are in the same boat, we have two-step authentication enabled, but no longer have access to the phone number used to set it up. we do not have access to the Recovery Codes that are provided upon setting this feature up. 

If you could shoot me an email to get the ball rolling on getting this fixed that would be great, its for my bosses account so I will make the introduction so you can authenticate with him.

-Jeff 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @jeffgonser!

Welcome to Shopify Community and thank you for joining this thread. My name is Olivia and I will be assisting you on behalf of my colleague today.

Since this is a public space, we are unable able to authenticate users or access store information. To give you the support you need, our talented agents are on standby 24/7. Please connect with our Support team directly at your earliest convenience to move forward with accessing your account. 

As this is the best solution going forward, I will be closing this thread and marking this resolved for the benefit of future readers.

Warm regards,

WFHBreakRoom
6 0 0

Hello, I am having the exact same issue. My email is example@gmail.com.

justrecovery
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, I have the same issue and my email is dashcorpecommerce@gmail.com

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

Thanks for reaching out, @justrecovery.

Please refer to the accepted solution for this thread for updated steps on how to get support with disabling two-factor authentication.

Warm regards,

WFHBreakRoom
6 0 0

Hello, I am having the exact same issue. My email is example@gmail.com

WFHBreakRoom
6 0 0

Hello! I am having the exact same issue! My email is example@gmail.com!

Stelftackle
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Ash, I am having the same issue with my example.myshopify.com store can you please reset the 2 factor authentication 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

Hi, @Stelftackle!

Thank you for joining our thread. As per the latest replies, our Public Support team is unable to connect with you via our public spaces to provide support with this issue.

Therefore, get in touch with our authenticated team through this Support link

and we'd be glad to assist.

We look forward to connecting,

WFHBreakRoom
6 0 0

Hello, I am having the exact same issue! My email is example@gmail.com!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

Thanks for joining our thread, @angelavalosBG and @WFHBreakRoom.

As per the latest accepted solution, we are no longer able to authenticate users via our public spaces and you must connect with our Support team directly for further assistance. I recommend choosing live chat at the link I shared as that is currently the quickest way to get in touch.

We look forward to supporting your needs there,

rachaelclassi
Visitor
2 0 0

Ash I am desparate. I am having this same issue and have had a support ticket unresolved for the last 2 weeks. I am the owner of the store www.example.myshopify.com through my work email of example@example.co and nobody has replied to my urgent need to get access to my store! My phone died with my authenticator app and my recovery codes. PLEASE I am desperate to get help and support. 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

Thank you for reaching out and expressing the urgency around your request, @rachaelclassi!

We certainly appreciate your frustration and the need to access your account sooner than later.

As shared previously, our Public Support team is unable to provide account-specific support and I also emphasize how important it is that you do not share any personal or account details on public spaces like this. For security purposes, I will be sure to edit your reply to remove that information.

Since you already have a ticket created, the best thing to do is to wait for a follow-up as these investigations can take time as all protocol must be followed. Providing access to accounts affects the merchant's security and Shopify's, therefore, you can expect this to take time. 

I trust they will follow-up with you as soon as they are able.

Warm regards,

rachaelclassi
Visitor
2 0 0
I unfortunately do not trust they will follow up soon as it has been over
14 days already...
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

I appreciate your response, @rachaelclassi!

To confirm that your ticket has in fact been escalated and is still in the queue please feel free to open a live chat with us through our Help Center.

For a faster support experience, make sure you have the ticket number handy. Our authenticated team would be more than glad to confirm that it is in fact being worked on and not forgotten about.

We look forward to connecting,

WFHBreakRoom
6 0 0

Hello, I am having the exact same issue. My email is example@gmail.com!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

Hello everyone!

Just a note to new contributors and existing users, @WFHBreakRoom and @Stelftackle, this is a public thread and any comments here are visible to anyone visiting from the internet.

As such, I have edited out your respective email address and store URLs.

Warm regards,

EYN123
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm having the same problem. I'm not getting the 6 digit authentication code neither have recovery codes. And also uploaded the ID documents and they are in review process. I already talked to the support team, but waiting for their email since 5 days. Please help me out fast, I need it urgently.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

Hi, @EYN123!

Thank you for joining our thread and sharing your experience. For context, it is normal to wait 24-72 business hours or more changing on a case by case basis.

We treat security and access to business logins very seriously and must abide by all of our protocols with verifying identity. As such, this takes time and we cannot always promise an exact turnaround.

Furthermore, we cannot provide account-specific support in our public spaces as I mentioned in previous replies. The best thing to do is to wait for a follow-up via email as your ticket is already in the queue and will be dealt with in the order it came in.

Let me know if you have further questions,

Carodigimarketi
Visitor
1 0 0

Dear Olivia/ Shopify Team,

I also have the same issue. Have a new iPhone, transferred all from my old one to my new one, deleted everything on my old one, gave it to my mom (no longer access) and now all of a sudden Shopify asks me again for the code (didn't ask for it for the past three weeks, maybe due to deleting cookies/cache in my browser?) and I open the Authenticator app, nothing there. I didn't know I also had to reinstall that and isn't linked to an account. Very annoying. Please help me. My account is caroline@hetseoatelier.nl . Thank you. 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1717 146 309

Hi, @Carodigimarketi!

Please refer to the Accepted Solution in this thread for guidance on how to get support with your issue.

We look forward to supporting you,

Bhcaccounts
Visitor
1 0 0

We are having this problem too, I have tried selecting the link Support Team but when the page loads it errors out, HELP! we need access as we need to update our expired credit card details. 

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2405 454 405

Hey @Bhcaccounts.

Thanks for reaching out on this thread. 

If you are experiencing issues with accessing our live support from the Help Center - it would be best to navigate to this URL and complete this form here

Once you successfully complete the form, you should see the options to speak with a Support Advisor about the situation. 

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify