Solved

How can I retrieve my money after a scam on an online platform?

Strangejuice
Tourist
3 0 3

I paid $249 for an item on Shopify a month ago which was never shipped. The seller wont respond to emails or phone calls. Their website is now closed. My bank said that they have asked the sellers bank to return the funds unsuccessfully. Shopify is not taking accountability for the stores they are marketing on their platform. This is merely connecting scammers with the public under a platform that appears safe but is not at all.

Accepted Solution (1)

Blair
Shopify Staff
1941 258 229

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Strangejuice,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. 

I definitely understand where you're coming from regarding an order that you placed online and would be happy to share some insight on how we can help. 

As Shopify is a platform used by many merchants to sell online, we are unable to manage day-to-day operations or intervene in the order process. If however, you placed an order online, I'd encourage you to check out our Order FAQ Page for more information on how to proceed.

If after 4 weeks you still have not received your order, we recommend contacting your bank for steps on how to proceed. This will ensure that the appropriate guidance can be given as well as the next steps on how to retrieve funds to get this resolved. 

Please let me know if you have any other concerns. 

Blair | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

SecretChocolate
Explorer
108 0 6

Chargeback. Period. Full stop. There is no your bank getting money from their bank. You didn't get what you were promised, you do a chargeback. They are hard as hell for shop owners to fight due to the amount of paperwork we have to show to counter claim but it's very easy for a customer to report.

Call you bank back. Get a chargeback on your purchase for the reasons you've stated. And that should be the end of it unless the shop owner wants to contest it.

Shopify has 4.3million sites created by its platform. Statistically there will always be bad eggs, but please don't paint with such a large brush stroke. You could equally have found fault in any shopping experience on or offline.

The Secret Chocolatier (shopify) : http://thesecretchocolatier.com
Strangejuice
Tourist
3 0 3
I submitted a chargeback 10 days ago. The bank has responded that they have
not received a response from the sellers bank.

Blair
Shopify Staff
1941 258 229

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Strangejuice,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. 

I definitely understand where you're coming from regarding an order that you placed online and would be happy to share some insight on how we can help. 

As Shopify is a platform used by many merchants to sell online, we are unable to manage day-to-day operations or intervene in the order process. If however, you placed an order online, I'd encourage you to check out our Order FAQ Page for more information on how to proceed.

If after 4 weeks you still have not received your order, we recommend contacting your bank for steps on how to proceed. This will ensure that the appropriate guidance can be given as well as the next steps on how to retrieve funds to get this resolved. 

Please let me know if you have any other concerns. 

Blair | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Strangejuice
Tourist
3 0 3
I understand that, but when you find a business on shopify it appears
legitimised by the platform. Are they even screened? Ive used shopify only
once and ive lost $250 and the bank cannot do anything about it. What are
you doing to keep your platform safe?
garcjj
Visitor
2 0 0

Shopify isn’t doing anything. Shopify is the favorite platform for scammers.