Return management just got easier! We’ve launched Customer Self-Serve Returns to all Shopify merchants. Click here to learn more!

How do i change my picture files name without deleting them re uploading?

jamesdemongin
Tourist
14 0 0

How do i change my picture files name without deleting them re uploading?

i don't want to have to delete and reupload every picture. can't i just edit the file name?

file name.png

Replies 7 (7)
Niyeepo
Excursionist
201 14 24

Yes, you can change the file names of your pictures without deleting and re-uploading them. The method for doing this will depend on the platform you are using to host the images and the device you are using to access them.

Here are a few general methods to change file names:

On a computer:   

1. Locate the folder where the images are stored.
  2. Click on the image file you want to rename.
  3. Press the "F2" key on your keyboard.
  4. Type in the new file name and press "Enter."

On a mobile device:

1. Open the Gallery or Photos app.
  2. Locate the image you want to rename.
  3. Tap and hold on the image until a menu appears.
  4. Select "Rename" or "Edit."
  5. Type in the new file name and tap "OK" or "Save."

On a cloud-based platform such as Google Drive, OneDrive or Dropbox:

1. Open the cloud platform on your web browser.
  2. Locate the image file you want to rename.
  3. Right-click the file, select "Rename" or "Edit"
  4. Type in the new file name and press "Enter"
    Keep in mind that if you have embedded the image in any other platform such as website, the image link might be broken after you change the file name, so you might have to update the links on that platform as well.
5diamond
jamesdemongin
Tourist
14 0 0

hi i have tried to select image and press F2 but nothing happenedfile name1.png

Niyeepo
Excursionist
201 14 24

If you are trying to rename a file using the F2 key and it is not working, it could be because the keyboard shortcut is not enabled or the file you are trying to rename is in a read-only location. Here are a few things you can try:

• Make sure that the file you are trying to rename is not in a read-only location, such as a CD or a USB drive that is set to read-only.

• Check that the F2 key is not being used by another application or process. Some programs may use the F2 key for their own purposes and may override the default behavior.

• Try using the right-click method as I previously described.

• Check if the keyboard is working properly, sometimes due to some technical issues the keyboard keys may not work as expected.

• If the above solutions don't work, try restarting your computer and then try renaming the file again.

If none of these solutions work, please give me more details about the operating system and the file location, I will try to help you with other solutions.

5diamond
jamesdemongin
Tourist
14 0 0

the files are located on shopify not on my computer. i think you are confused on what i'm trying to achieve 

Niyeepo
Excursionist
201 14 24

I apologize for the confusion. If you are trying to change the file name of images that are uploaded to your Shopify store, you can do this by going to the Shopify admin panel and following these steps:

1. Go to the "Products" section of the Shopify admin panel.
  2. Click on the product that contains the image you want to rename.
  3. Scroll down to the "Images" section and find the image you want to rename.
  4. Click on the image to open it in the image editor.
  5. Click on the "Alternate text" field and enter the new name for the image file.
  6. Click "Save" to update the image name.
    Note that, this process will only change the alternate text of the image, not the actual file name. Changing the alternate text will not affect the image and it's quality.
    If you want to change the actual file name, you need to download the image and change the name then upload it again.
    Please let me know if you have any further questions
5diamond
jamesdemongin
Tourist
14 0 0

yeah trying to change the actual file name without having to delete and reupload . having to figure out the pixel size and what photo i uploaded where. really inconvenient. i don't get what they haven't add this ability in yet. i know they can

Niyeepo
Excursionist
201 14 24

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, at this time, Shopify does not have a built-in feature to allow you to change the actual file name of images without deleting and re-uploading them. This is because, when an image is uploaded to Shopify, it is given a unique URL that links to the image file. Changing the file name would break this link, which is why you would need to delete and re-upload the image with the new file name.

You can use a bulk renaming software to rename your images on your computer then upload them with the new names. This way you don't have to go through each image one by one.

It is also possible that some third-party apps could be available to achieve this, you can check the Shopify app store for that.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, please let me know.

5diamond