How Do I enable In-Store Pick-up ONLY for certain products that can't be shipped?

rybekka
Visitor
2 0 4

There are some products that I sell that I'm unable to ship, either due to them being restricted goods in accordance to Hermes and Royal Mail due to their fragility, or because they are bulky items such as furniture.

How do I set these specific products to be In-Store pick-up only and get rid of the shipping option whilst retaining the 'Mark as picked up' feature on my Shopify POS and back end? If I create a new shipping profile am I right in thinking the 'Mark As Picked Up' option won't be available for these items?

I am happy to install an app for this but not one that costs more than around $10 a month as it wouldn't be worthwhile for me to pay more than this due to order volume and the fact that most apps I've looked at have too many other features I won't use so it's a waste and a very simple thing I'm trying to do.

Many Thanks,

Bekka

Replies 37 (37)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @rybekka 

You can absolutely setup a specific profile for these items to ensure they are only eligible for local pickup on your store. 

First step is to ensure that local pickup is setup and enabled in your admin under Settings > Shipping. From there, you will want to create your new shipping profile with these specific products inside of it. To setup the shipping profile so that only pickup options are shown at checkout you will need to enable the "Shipping Zone" (areas available for shipping, in this case it should be your local state/city/country). You will need to leave the "Shipping Rates" empty.

You will see an error message that this product will have no shipping rate at the checkout, and this is okay. 

Save and test the checkout with one of the products from this new profile. You should only see the option for local pickup and no options for shipping through postal mail. It is important to note that the shipping options at the checkout can't be split for large orders and that if a customer wants to purchase one of these pickup only items then their entire order must be pickup only as well. 

Please let me know if you have any problems setting this up. If you have any issues, please share some screenshots of your current setup and the shipping rates you have applied. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

FixMySync
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hey Shay, this option may work for the client's site I'm currently working on. Can you please confirm two things for me:
1. If the shop offers Local Delivery (all products), Store Pick-up (all products), and Shipping (only some products) - will your solution work in this case too? 
2. What happens when a customer has an order with a non-shipping product, and a shipping product in the cart? Will the order get split, or does the non-shipping product override the whole order to only allow pick-up or local delivery - the latter is my hope! Please let me know. Thank you!

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @FixMySync 

Question 1 - Absolutely! As long as you have the shipping profiles setup to match the specific shipping requirements for the products you can offer all services across different items. 

Question 2 - If some items in an order are non-shipping then the option for non-shipping will be the only option at the checkout. If there are items that don't have the same shipping options available to them across shipping profiles, then the customer will see an error at the checkout letting them know there are no shipping options available.

I recommend making a clear note on the pickup/non-shipping items product page so that customers know to make it in a separate order if they prefer some items to be shipped to them. 

duane029
Visitor
2 0 5

This does not work. After following your instructions, the customer is still presented with:

Delivery method

• Ship
  • Pick up

After entering a shipping address and continuing to the next step, the shipping method selection box says "This order can’t be shipped to the address you entered. Review your address to ensure that all fields have been entered correctly and try again."

AND there is no Pick up option at this stage.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @duane029 

Thanks for following up with me here about this. 

In this situation you will get the best help by contacting our live support team so that they can review your shipping rates within your admin and assist in setting that up further. You can reach our live support through the Help Center here: Shopify Help Center - Contact Support. Sign into your account, choose the appropriate topic(s) for your support request and then you will see all available live support options at the bottom of the page. 

BryanPal
Shopify Partner
21 0 3

Hi @duane029 

Did you mange to get a resolution here?

If so would you mind sharing the solutins with us.

duane029
Visitor
2 0 5

There is no resolution to remove the Delivery Method option. You can change the error message to something more informative. In my case I have a local delivery option as well, which is presented next to the shipping rates, so when a customer choses shipping, the only option available is local delivery.

dagoodretail
Tourist
3 0 3

just wanted to chip in to this discussion as I'm experiencing the same problem cause I want for some products just to be pick up only and some shipping only and no confusion at checkout.

drawfking1
Tourist
7 0 6

I can't believe Shopify still doesn't come up with a solution for this issue. SMH

jessie_monument
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Totally agreed. This should be the default behavior. If items in a cart are all only eligible for a certain shipping type (pickup, shipping, delivery) that should be the ONLY option available to the customer. Otherwise they run into annoying dead ends. 

thechuckbucket
Visitor
1 0 0

Is there a way to do the inverse of this? For example, we have some items available only at our warehouse and not our local pick up store, we would like those items to be shipped but not available for local pickup. Is that possible?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @thechuckbucket 

This is definitely doable. When setting up your local pickup options you need to choose which locations can be picked up from. Just ensure that your warehouse location is set to "Doesn't offer pickup" and any orders with those items in them won't be able to use the pickup option at checkout. 

29-23-67353-39931

I recommend updating the product details for those items to inform customers that these items are not eligible for local pickup and can only be shipped and that if they wish to purchase items for local pickup they need to be done in separate orders. 

Tim_khe
Visitor
1 0 3

I have followed your suggestion to create a 2nd warehouse for goods that only are to be SHIPPED, but even with a single item which is from this new SHIPPED warehouse the shopping cart still shows the pickup option, and if you select that it says this option is not available ?

That is stupid, clearly your developers are not retail merchants. Why list an PICKUP option for a product that isn't available for PICK UP.

Yeah i could understand if it had two items in cart one of each, but this is single item from a shipping only warehouse. So many people wanting a simple tick box on the product item page 

Ship - Yes or NO
Pickup - Yes or NO

not rocket science.

I have a over 1000 items (SKU'S) that are shipped from another location with no pick up option available that's a lot of work to edit the warehouse for each SKU and you still have the issue as described offering PICKUP at checkout but then say ARGH no!

claybirding
Tourist
3 0 2

You are absolutely right. It’s not rocket science. Please fix this

Briercrest
Visitor
1 0 1

hi there.  when I try this I am still getting the Shipping option on the cart/check out page as well as the local pick up option.  I only want to see the pick up option.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  I followed the steps above.    In the shipping zones I can only pick country/province, not a city location.  Please advise   tx!!!

FarmerStacey
Visitor
1 0 7

Hi Shay - It seems that this is a very common request - given that shopify has functionality for in-store pickup, esp since the pandemic - why is this not a built-in function? Why can we not simply click a button that says 'pickup only' with a location selector? All the work-arounds offered are clunky and not customer-centric, either for ourselves as shopify customers or for our customers. I am trying to move to shopify for both my online and POS systems from Square as I expand my brick and mortar business, but it is unnecessarily complicated to do some very simple tasks.

rphawthorne
Tourist
4 0 5

I am fighting this issue as well. If it's a local pick-up the customer should not see shipping at all.

ffrht
Tourist
5 0 6

@Shay im fighting with the same problem discussed here. Will there be a solution in the future on the roadmap? As @FarmerStacey said, its very confusing and not practically usable to let the user have both possibilities although its not set up. Customers wouldn't understand why they get the functionality for pickup or shipping shown in the first place while it shouldn't be there and in the end and can't be used at all.

For my use case I also want to sell some products ONLY by pickup and  some ONLY online by shipping. So I set up all Products to be picked up only at our stores. For Our warehouse location I setup a shipping shipping rate for specific products. Problem is, that this setting affects not only the chosen products, but also the others which should only be available for pickup.

ffrht_2-1693566557942.png

ffrht_1-1693566527669.png

These are the settings, and the screenshots above are products that are not included in Merch shipping rate. So only the pickup option should appear here. 

ffrht_5-1693567024092.png

In the other way around it's the same.

ffrht_4-1693566906219.png

ffrht_3-1693566612469.png
The Products that should only be available for shipping, because no pickup is activated for the warehouse location, are shown in the checkout with pickup option which is not available in the end.

Would you please open a ticket for that, and keep us updated. 
Thank you.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @ffrht 

Thank you for those details and the screenshots. It sounds like you are wanting customers to be able to combine both shipping and in-store pickup items at the checkout. At this time combining both those option at checkout is not supported. If customers wish to order items that are ONLY available for shipping or local pickup along with items that offer the alternate shipping option, they need to place two separate orders to do so. 

You can read more about this in our Help Center here: Shopify Help Center - Local Pickup.

I am happy to provide your feedback about this limitation to our developers for further consideration. In the interim, I recommend providing notes to some of your products that they are only available for one shipping option and customers should check them out separately from the rest of their order to take advantage of that. 

ffrht
Tourist
5 0 6

Hello @Shay , 

thanks for the reply. I knew about the limitation with splited orders. But thats not the problem I mean here. 

The Screenshots I provided were single product orders only. The case is that when having pickup activated for different locations and at the same time a shipping rate is configured for specific products, at the checkout there are both options for all products of the whole shop. For my understanding the shipping option should only be available for products configured in the shipping rate -thats why. 

ffrht_0-1693758847591.png

I configured shipping options for 4 merch products (see products above). Any other product needs to be picked up at a store. But when entering another product like in this case:

ffrht_1-1693758983290.png 
there still is shipping available. The product in this screenshot, is assigned by inventory to the location 1-3 which don't even provide shipping.

ffrht_2-1693759277583.png
So if I continue with this checkout and choose shipping, which is not available I get informed about that one step further. But if the option is not available, then the option shouldn't be suggested at all. In addition this "special" product was not included within the 4 merch products configured for a shipping rate.

ffrht_3-1693759631497.png

The other scenario I mean is:
The merch products are assigned by inventory to not be in the stores 1-3. Instead they are linked to the warehouse. Therefore they are not available for pickup and are shipped only (configured by product based shipping rate). But still the pick up option is shown. It not available but shown. So if the option is not available then for my understanding it must be hidden. So the customer doesn't get confused.

ffrht_5-1693760117380.png

Kind Regards 

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @ffrht 

Thank you for those additional details, I believe I fully understand the issues you are seeing now. I appreciate you taking the time to provide that context for me. 

It looks like with the rollout of some of our new checkout and market features this experience at the checkout has changed. At this time you are correct that both Pick Up and Shipping will show as an option, even if the product does not have one of those options available to it. I'll ensure I share the appropriate feedback to our developers about this. 

In the interim I recommend creating clear messaging for your customers by adding in the product details that this item is for local pickup only. You can also alter the error message shown at the checkout to provide clearer details for the customer. This can be done by going to Online Store > Themes > Click the 3 dots next to the live theme > Edit Default Theme Content. 

ffrht
Tourist
5 0 6

Hi @Shay  are there any updates planned by the devs? Kind Regards

GWC
Visitor
1 0 2

I also would like to know if the devs are working on this, as the customer experience is a bit poor at the moment.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @GWC and @ffrht 

While I have shared this feedback with our developers, and continue to share any feedback provided by other merchants in this thread, I don't have any updates at this time on whether this experience at the checkout will be changed. 

Arron_G
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi @Shay any updates?

jessie_monument
Shopify Partner
7 0 3
Unfortunately this problem persists. If you want customers to have a good experience checking out and some of your products are only available for shipping, while others only available for pickup, then you need to use a paid app like Zapiet. 😞
FFO1
Visitor
1 0 0

worked for me does what I need

kagreene
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hey Shay - is this still valid? I'm having issues with products setup this way.

Kiteboardcenter
Visitor
1 0 0

Sadly this doesn't work at all, not sure this is for Shopify V2 themes only?

antoniovim
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi everyone! I'm happy to announce that I have been able to achieve local pickup only in checkout, by removing all shipping origins, and enabling local pickup option:

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/setting-up-and-managing-your-shipping/local-methods/loca...

Good luck!

optizenapp
Shopify Partner
14 0 5

Hi Antoniovim,

Are you able to outline your solution in more detail?

Thanks

OptizenAI ‑ AI SEO & Image Tools Update content at scale with controlled AI including SEO meta, images, tag page SEO and more!
antoniovim
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi @optizenapp, sure. The store I maintain is a local bakery and we don't offer any kind of delivery. So what I have done is to remove all shipping options and local delivery, leaving only enabled the "store pickup" option. You have more detailed info in the link I attached in my previous comment.

I want to highlight that I have not tried to enable it for particular products, but for my whole catalog. I do not know if it is possible, but I think it worths to try.

Kind regards,

Antonio

claybirding
Tourist
3 0 2

@antoniovim  Could you post a screenshot example of the checkout page?

rphawthorne
Tourist
4 0 5

1000006647.jpg

claybirding
Tourist
3 0 2

Thats what I see too, but @antoniovim  said they dont see the Ship option

rphawthorne
Tourist
4 0 5
I tried his solution and couldn't get it to work.

KStancy
Visitor
1 0 0

I'd like to chip in here for anyone who may be experiencing this issue still as it seems Shopify has not yet provided an option to completely disable the 'Ship' tab in Checkout. A somewhat shoddy way of restricting the shipping to Local Pickup Only (even if you have one ship-able product, and one non-ship-able product in the Cart) would be to create a Shipping Profile with a very specific Shipping Zone including only the zone least-likely to checkout on your site, or in otherwords, a non-local zone. (May be more difficult if you ship internationally.) This way, if ever the assigned products are in the cart and your actual local/target audience enters their address to ship to, they'll receive an error that the order cannot be shipped. Local Pickup will be the only checkout method.

Hope this helps!