How do I obtain an IOSS number? US Seller here shipping to EU.

RCG
Excursionist
17 0 3

We are a US seller that needs to obtain an IOSS number so we can collect VAT for our international sales to the EU. Doing some looking around online and we find several sites that are hand-holders through the process and they want to be paid to walk us through it. We just simply need the site address where we register to get the IOSS number. We can't find the site. please help.

0 Likes
aradanistudios
2 0 1

We are a US based seller too. From what I can gather, you have to work with a EU based intermediary to actually file the VAT payments. I have been looking into this as well, and it seems impossible for small companies to be able to afford this.

Paul

RCG
Excursionist
17 0 3

The only site I am seeing that will help with this is ship24.com. There may be others but this was the only one I found that was ready to go and pretty easy to understand. As far as I can tell, they will set things up with the EU after an initial business filing with them. They charge about $60 per month, plus 1% of the declared package value. They want us to forward all the VAT we collect at checkout to them once per week via bank transfer (3% fee for credit/debit card). They will then dispurse the funds accordingly to the tax agencies in each country. We're in the process of setting up an account with them now. Unfortunately Shopify is being opaque on this whole thing and we can't find any other documentation or instruction/tutorials for small businesses like ourselves.

If anyone has a better site or a better solution please ping us here with the results. Otherwise it looks like many small businesses will be cut out and just not ship to the EU anymore. 

0 Likes
aradanistudios
2 0 1
So we can continue shipping to the EU via Delivered Duty Unpaid. In the
past, buyers didn't have to pay for customs if the total value was less
than 22 euro. Now they have to pay VAT regardless.

So the main difference is that now everyone will have to pay customs to
import instead of only those whose orders are above 22 euro. Not ideal, but
seems much more straightforward for smaller companies.
0 Likes
RCG
Excursionist
17 0 3

Yes but the VAT fees, at least in our experience, are higher now if you ship the old way. They want everybody on the new system and they're gonna make you pay if you don't comply.

Etsy takes care of all these fees for you if you sell and ship through them. Unfortunately not so with Shopify. We are still waiting and hoping that Shopify will work out a deal the same as Etsy. Otherwise we are hiring 3rd party apps and paying a minimum of $600/year + 1% of value fees. 

Shopify please build this in to your system for us.

0 Likes
Dbaca
Pathfinder
145 0 39

If you have not looked at Crossborderit we have a good Shopify app that can make this clear and simple for you. We have some updates to our service.

Crossborderit charges €1 per shipment and $24 per month for access to our platform. ( + payment processing fees – depending on payment method)

To get you started with Crossborderit IOSS services, please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Add the Crossborderit app on Shopify APP store: IOSS and Landed Cost Service | Shopify App Store

Step 2: Register/ complete the registration for IOSS service on our site; https://cbit.crossborderit.com/merchant-onboarding

Step 3: When completed both applications/ registrations, you will receive an invoice from Crossborderit with 3 months pre-payment for the IM number (IOSS number) application to the Swedish Tax Agency.

Step 4: When 3 months subscription payment has been paid, Crossborderit will apply for the IM number at the Swedish Tax Agency, where you are registered.( please allow 3-5 business days)

I’ve attached here a file that can help you sign up easily.

We will manage the rest from compliance and  reporting.

You will soon receive more information about our payment solutions and onboarding form for payment options.

0 Likes