How does Shopify Payments Gateway deal with chargebacks from consumers?

FastmOcean
2 0 0

Before Shopify Payments, i used Stripe( on a different site). Some people charged back for fraud(which was not true since i delivered all items) on stripe, and i showed all proof to the banks but they all declined it so i lost it all. Does shopify protect us?

Reply 1 (1)
Emily
Shopify Staff
42 4 17

Hi, @FastmOcean!

Happy to help provide some resources for you. I will let you know Shopify’s payment system is handled by Stripe so the process of a chargeback is probably quite similar to what you have experienced.

Chargeback decisions are always made by the buyer’s bank, and not by Shopify. Through your Shopify admin, you can submit evidence that the customer’s bank will review, but again the decision is up to the bank. However, Shopify does have a built-in fraud analysis that uses machine learning algorithms to help bring suspicious orders to your attention.

You may also be eligible to purchase extra fraud protection for your store that is specifically for chargebacks. If you would like more information on this you can find that here: Fraud Protect and on our Shopify blog.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Emily | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog