how to close shop and move domain?

Charles_Stevens
Excursionist
74 0 8

I'm sure this has been asked previously but I've not found a reply yet (will carry on looking after I post), however, can someone advise as to the steps to close my account and then move the domain I've purchased via shopify so I can point it to another non-sales site I have hosted elsewhere?

Nothing *wrong* with shopify, just that rather than run a holding, non-trading tickover of the account I'd rather close it and keep the name for future use?

I believe I cancel the account and recurring billing via the shopify dashboard, but I've never moved a domain before?

Thanks

Replies 6 (6)
Mel_O1
Shopify Staff
198 0 33

Hi, Charles!

I’m Melissa, a Shopify Guru. Thanks for posting. Yes, you can transfer your domain away from Shopify that is no issue at all. I would recommend doing this first before closing the account so it is moved away fully. 

You will need to get the log in details for your domain, once you have them you can log into your Open SRS dashboard to start the transfer of the domain to point to the new site.

If you do not have the login details needed, you can send us a request for the login information for your Open SRS account through support@shopify.com, we can verify some details and forward you that information. 

You can use the guide Configure your Shopify domain preferences using OpenSRS  to help with this. That guide goes over all the aspects of your dashboard and you will see this section here for transferring your domain. 

Once it has been transferred, just to make sure the domain is fully removed from your domain settings in your admin and then you can go ahead and close down your account if needed with Shopify. You can cancel your account by following the steps in this guide (http://bit.ly/2mAOpKF). 

Hope this information helps! You can reach out to the Guru team https://help.shopify.com/questions if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Melissa | Shopify Guru

Mel | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Charles_Stevens
Excursionist
74 0 8

@melissa thank you for the quick reply.  Nothing wrong with shopify whatsoever, just decided not right for now, that's all.  I'll follow the steps you've provided.  Cheers.

Lukas3
14 0 0

Hello, we have also an Problem with our Domain. we buy an Domain but closed the store and make a new one. But now is the domain not available not for the new store and not for the old one. We want to transfer the Domain to the new store. is this possible?

OLD STORE: michael-benzin.myshopify.com ( Domain michaelbenzin.com)

NEW STORE: michealbenzin.myshopify.com ( there we need the Domain)

Thanks in advance.

Lukas

M_Base
2 0 0

I am also having the same problem i am waiting forever for my open srs info, its like shopify does not care about urgency when we recuest info, but is fast on billing

Please assist

kfouda
2 0 0

Did you ever receive the info from Shopify?
I just sent them an email requesting the same thing! let's see how long it will take.

Thanks,

gdlittlewood
1 0 0

Hi Melissa,

The link that you've provided doesn't work at all. Does that mean I can't close my shopify account and still keep my domain for future use?