How to disable email verification of new customer accounts

rishabh20
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi all,

I want to reduce the friction of a new customer having to "activate" their account via a link in their email - would prefer anyone who creates an account to be able to login to their account without having to ever "activating" it. Is this possible?

Replies 9 (9)

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

Hey @rishabh20.

Thanks for reaching out.

At the moment, there is not a way to suppress the customers account activation email that is sent automatically when a customer creates their account unless you are the store is on Shopify Plus. With that being said, I can definitely see the benefit of allowing this to be an option for a business for all subscriptions available.

One thing I can do is send your request up to our development team for you. At Shopify, we pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and we are only able to strive towards this goal with feedback and comments from merchants just like you. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

thenuelook
Tourist
5 0 3

I am also extremely interested in this. This is causing so much friction, and there are programs i'd like to be able to implement in-store by signing up for an account, but having to have the customer first pull up email and activate an account is not realistic in real time... This should be a feature for all paid plans.

Michel_Arteta
Shopify Partner
33 2 34

I created this app that remove this friction but the user will create the account from the Thank you confirmation page. https://apps.shopify.com/create-account I hope it helps

purelyme
Visitor
1 0 1

Hey @Ollie,

I found this discussion point, and I'm definitely also interested.

Can you help me to disable email verification of new customer accounts? It's an extra step that is annoying new customers and some of them don't complete the steps.

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

Hey @purelyme.

Thanks for reaching out.

We do not have a current method to disable the email verification step that is required by customers after signing up unless you are on a Shopify Plus plan. However, I can provide this as feedback to our developers and make a suggestion on your behalf.

BeeziHunYawrrr
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hey Buddy, can you please help me to disable this verification message feature on my Shopify Plus Plan, Thanks

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

Hey @BeeziHunYawrrr.

Thanks for your response.

That's a great question! If you are using the Shopify Plus subscription plan, you can contact our support by logging into your store using our Contact Us page. Let the Support Advisor know that you would like to disable the email verification email. They will be able to assist you further in this situation.

WillOG
Visitor
1 0 0

Why is this locked behind Shopify Plus? This is such a basic feature that ecommerce stores outside of Shopify utilise worldwide. This should be standard. I have never registered at a website and had to activate an account except for on Shopify and I can see through using Hotjar (screen recording tool for browser) that my customers are confused by this. They create accounts and attempt to sign in but cannot, then leave in frustration.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

Hello, everyone! 

I wanted to provide an update that this is no longer specific to Shopify Plus.

In order to ensure account security, customers creating accounts on stores with optional or required accounts will need to click on a verification link sent to the email address they provided in order to access the account for the first time.

If you'd like to enable/disable this feature, then it will require that you contact Shopify Support for further assistance. 

Thanks!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify