How to get UPC codes?

Caesar_Samsi
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi, I'm wanting to make use of the Amazon Sales Channel but am stumbled due to lack of UPC codes.

Is there a recommended way of obtaining it?

Does Shopify provide UPC codes? I see a lot of online UPC sellers, might be interesting business for Shopify in scale for its shop owners.

Thank you, Caesar.

Replies 10 (10)
Kasimir
Shopify Partner
385 0 69

Hello Caesar,

Easiest way to do this is to sign up for GS1 which provides your company UPC (EAN) codes. The cost of this varies but certainly has a joining and a yearly fee.

You can read more here: https://www.gs1us.org (they have specific websites for different countries, but as I did not know where you are from I cannot get you your countries site).

Once you have the access you can create barcode numbers and then generate the EAN either through their site (which has a cost) or through any free alternative.

Let me know if this helps.

Kasimir

"Good design is good business"
Caesar_Samsi
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi Kasimir,

Thank you for your response. I'm in the US and looked up the gs1us.org site. Wow, $250.- for 10 UPC codes. 

My products are all unique one of a kind and I can't afford to use 1 UPC for each product and throw away and get another one. It would add $25.- cost for each product.

Can I reuse UPC codes? Or just use 1 UPC codes for all products? I really track by my SKUs not UPC.

The reason UPC came up is I wanted to try the Amazon Sales Channel.

Thank you, Caesar.

Kasimir
Shopify Partner
385 0 69

Hello Caesar,

I cannot give you perfect advice as I'm no way related to GS1 but have consulted companies about it.

GS1 tiers start from 1-1000 barcodes and that has the same price regardless of how many barcodes you want to generate. They have a specific fee to generate the label itself which is not worth paying for as EAN is a standard method and free generators are out there.

You can reuse barcodes but there are specific rules and timeframes for this which I cannot remember now. If you want help about this you might want to look at the website or call them.

How unique are your products? 

Kasimir

Kasimir
Shopify Partner
385 0 69

Just to add on this, seems like USA the prices are higher and tiers are lower (guessing due to huge size of the country). It's supposed to be an non profit organisation aswell.

Caesar_Samsi
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi Kasimir,

Each product is literally made by a pair of hands, one at a time. It's like a painting, each can only be done once. Each one is unique.

I'll research EAN as I think that was one of the options for Amazon.

Thank you, Caesar.

Jordan_Skole1
2 0 0

Hey Caesar, 

I recently created a Shopify App that you can install in your store called UPC Code Manager. It's both a UPC code generator, and a UPC code manager. 

I found that I was having a hard time keeping track of which of my product variants had UPC codes, which didn't, keeping my spreadsheets in sync with my store, and being able to quickly add upc codes to all my product variants that needed them.

We're currently talking w the GS1 and hope to have more information on that soon, but in the meantime I hope it helps you out! I'm always open to suggestions by you or the community on what should be improved too, and really value merchant feedback. 

Cheers, 

~ J

Caesar_Samsi
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi Jordan, re: GS1 that would be awesome. We only need 1 or 2 UPC codes at a time and can reuse the same code (basically use as many as there are items in the store).

Thank you, Caesar.

Sam_Caoile
1 0 0

Hi, so i dowloaded this app and purchased a 100 barcode pack. But there was not even any instructions how to use it. or no info on how to assign the purchased barcodes. I did find out that you can assign the codes only when theres different variants. What if theres no variants and its a single product that still needs a barcode? 

Also another thing i found out is that, you need 1 barcode for each and every variant? For example i have 1 product that has 10 different colors, I would already need 10 barcodes for that? Can i not just use one barcode for each product regardless of the variants? Im only dropshipping and only purchased this so i can use Amazon sales channel. 

Some help would be great.

jordanskole
Shopify Partner
5 0 6

Hey everyone! I am happy to let you know that the new and improved version of UPC Code Manager is live in the Shopify App store. I took a lot of the learnings and feedback from the previous "quick and dirty" MVP version and applied them here. I can also move MUCH faster and fix any issues you might have with the old version -- just reach out and let me know! 

https://apps.shopify.com/upc-code-manager-1 

Cheers!