How to keep track of stock by weight and not pieces

MrMilanista
7 0 0

Hi,

So I´m buying by weight and selling by weight a certain kind of powder. Now I want to keep track of my inventory by weight and when a customer buys it regulates accordingly. Now as we all know by default it keeps track by pieces. You have 50 pieces in unit, you sell 1, your inventory decreases by 1 to 49. But lets say I have 50 GRAMS of powder in inventory, if customer choses option to buy 25g it counts as one piece sold, decreasing inventory to 49 grams instead of 25 grams. 

Now, is there anyway to fix this - to track your inventory by weight and the weight options your customers can chose (for me 25g, 50g, 100g, 250g, 500g and 1000g) so that it decreases your inventory accordingly? Or is there an app I have to use? Which one in that case?

Many thanks!

Reply 1 (1)

DaisyOaks
Tourist
15 0 1

Hello.  Sorry no one has responded to your question.  It gets frustrating.  Don't know if you found a way to make this work.  I have a very similar issue where I am looking for a solution about sell by weight also.

What I have done as a "work-around" that kind of works - whatever your smallest weight value is, for example, I sell meat products by the pound.  I create products where a single unit is 1/10th of a pound.  If your smallest weight value is .5kg, then create your products as a single unit would be .5kg.   You then have customer select or you input the total number of units ordered.  if they want 4kgs, you would state they customer wants 8 - .5kg units.  Your inventory would be the total weight of all the units and you can track inventory against .5kg orders.  

Isn't perfect but it does allow me to function until there is a better designed method.