How to manually adjust product price for manual invoice?

firedude2020
Tourist
8 0 12

Hello,

I’m wondering if there is a way to manually adjust a product price when I sent manual invoices? Or is there a better order management system which does manually invoicing better than Shopify’s native one?

I sometimes need to invoice manually for larger qty items and those per unit rates change base on qty. I also don’t want those rates posted online. So having price variants won’t work. 

Any apps or full software solutions out there?

Replies 15 (15)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @firedude2020!

When creating a draft order in your Shopify admin, there are two options that allow you to enter a custom price that won't be visible to customers visiting your store:

1. Add custom item: This option allows you to create an invoice without adding a product to your store, and therefore you can enter any price you need to. Steps to add a custom item can be found here: Add products. However, this option will not affect your existing inventory, which I see you mentioned in this thread.
  2. Add discount: You can add an amount or percentage discount to a product that is already in your inventory. The resulting custom price will only be visible to those you send the invoice to, though the line item(s) or order total will display the discounted price along with the original price. Discounts can be added either by clicking on the product price in the Products section of the draft order, or by clicking Add discount in the Payment section. Steps to add a discount to a single line item or to the entire order can be found here: Set item or order discounts.

Will the discount option work for you? If not, please provide some detail about the ideal process so I can share your feedback with our developers.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

firedude2020
Tourist
8 0 12

Hi Sophia. 

Ya providing the discount is the only way currently to work while tracking inventory. I've used Square, Zoho, Stripe and other platforms for simple invoicing, and tbh this feature isn't anything special or difficult to implement. The exact same way you have a fillable textbox field when adding a "Custom item", you should have for choosing an item out of inventory. You can always have it set to default price, but at the very least just have it able to edit. If enabling edit for that field box is too difficult, maybe have a call to action button directly underneath it labeled "Edit Price" which will enable that field box?

We have multiple big box stores who purchase in bulk with special pricing, this would allow us to create manual invoices and pull from inventory items. Otherwise have a direct connection to our 3PL doesn't really provide the total solution. 

Thanks

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Yes, applying a discount (either by amount or percentage) is currently the only way to offer a different price while tracking inventory through draft orders. I really appreciate the additional context you provided and I have submitted a feature request to our developers with this in mind.

I'm also wondering if a wholesale app might work for you. Apps like Wholesaler and Wholesale Club allow you to give specific customers access to the special pricing, while other customers still see the regular prices. 

fukuyafoods
Tourist
4 0 14

I'm in the seafood business exchange rate and weight of my seafood decides on my selling price.  I've been using "create custom item" to bill my client when I know the actual price after calculation.  BUT, that has no "cost" associate with it, and I also can't use PO for tracking purpose, thus my sales report is never accurate.  If somehow I can manually adjust a product's selling price each time I create a manual order that'd be very helpful.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you for sharing this, @fukuyafoods! I'm happy to submit feedback to our developers on your behalf.

KPeedy44
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello, 

I'm seeing the original ticket from 2021 and there still isn't an option to adjust pricing on Manual orders? Do you have a timeline or update on when this simple feature may become available? We would love to us Shopify for greater order capacity but are having to look elsewhere because this one simple feature is causing so much hassle in our day to day. 

thanks so much! 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @KPeedy44!

I'm not able to offer insight into whether a feature request is in progress or if and when a feature might be released. However, updates and new releases are announced in the Shopify Changelog.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the nature of your business and why you need to edit product prices in the draft orders? I'd like to share this context with our developers for consideration in future updates.

fukuyafoods
Tourist
4 0 14

Hi,

For example.  I'm in the seafood business so some of my products are billed by weight(per kg).  I have 5 of the same fish in inventory but they all have different weight.  I can easily create a custom item, however my inventory will not be correct.  So if I can manually change the price on the invoice before sending it to my customer.   This way will not interfere with my inventory count and yet can billed my customer by weight. 

If I can also add a note next to the product on the actual invoice to explain the change of pricing that'd been even better.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you! Your feedback has been submitted to our developers for consideration in future updates.

JIOR
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Sophia,

I'm an ex Ocacle eBS technical and funcional consulant in LATAM. In my opinion, you should not send the justification or evidence to the developers, but rather to those responsible for making the decision whether or not to implement this improvement request. There must be a project manager or someone higher up who makes the decision to implement this basic functionality. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @JIOR.

We have a process in place for Shopify Support to submit feature requests to the appropriate team. Please rest assured that the people responsible for deciding which requests to implement are the ones reviewing the requests.

EastTexasDesign
Visitor
2 0 1

One of the businesses I help with their website has wanted to use Shopify for years. But the ability to adjust prices when manually entering orders is an important feature.

Every customer has a unique story. And sometimes they need a special price, whether it be because they have a real "need" (customers in an area known to have severe water quality issues may need a special price on water filters), because they asked for a special modification, or because a loyal customer is on the fence about trying a new product.

There are too many unique situations to create and memorize a list of coupon codes. Discounts are often product-specific depending on the individual customer's needs. So, creating a series of flat 10% - 35% coupon codes isn't going to work either. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Thank you, @EastTexasDesign!

I have shared this feedback with our developers for consideration in future updates.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @KPeedy44!

Just following up to see if there's anything you'd like me to share with our developers regarding your use case for editing product prices in draft orders.

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
163 9 46

Hi @firedude2020  , @fukuyafoods , @KPeedy44 , @EastTexasDesign ,

I have recently added a feature to my Draftable app (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper), which allow adjustment of price of line items in a draft order, you can set a higher or lower price for the item in the draft order (higher or lower than the price listed on your store).

After installing the app, you can go to your draft order, and select "More actions" > "Increase item prices", then you can select the items which you want to change prices (higher price and lower price both works), and input the new prices and click "Apply".

The items in the draft order will then have this new price applied, and the product price listing on your store  will remain unchanged.

soulchild37_0-1698051530933.png

soulchild37_1-1698051531289.png

soulchild37_2-1698051530498.png

Hope this can help! The Draftable app (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper) has a free plan which you can try this feature out.

Regards,

Axel Kee (developer of the Draft Order Helper app)

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog