How to send automatic discount code emails to subscribers

mabellecherie
Visitor
3 0 2

Hey,

I'm trying to have automatic emails sent to subscribers with a discount code, but not sure how to do that. 

Thanks,

Sara 

Replies 13 (13)

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @mabellecherie !

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

If I understand correctly, you're hoping to send an automatic email to your new subscribers with a discount code, is that right? If so, here are a couple options:

Shopify Email

One option is to utilize Shopify Email. While this option does not automatically contact your subscribers upon entering their email for the newsletter, you can set up a campaign every so often to send a welcome email to your new subscribers with a discount code. From your Shopify admin, you can click on Customers > Email subscribers to keep tabs of the new subscriptions to contact them with the discount code. For more information on Shopify Email, check out this link.

Application for "Welcome Email"

Another option you can consider a third-party application to automatically send a welcome email to your new subscribers. Most of these applications will incur a monthly fee but it really does encompass the best of first two options whereby it is automatic and customizable. I would recommend taking a look at our blog post on Email Automation Campaigns to see the best app options for Welcome Emails. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Cheers!

Holly | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mabellecherie
Visitor
3 0 2

Thanks a lot for your help! Will try that and if I have questions will let you know. One other thing, when someone subscribes is there anyway where Shopify verifies them automatically without me manually sending them an activation email? 

Thanks,

Sara 

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Absolutely, @mabellecherie !

In fact, you don't need to manually send them the Double opt-in email. That is sent automatically if you enable the setting in your Notifications. Otherwise, your customer will automatically be subscribed without receiving an email to confirm their subscription.

I hope that makes sense.

LizG
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I also had the same question and so I was reading through this.  I have a couple of questions regarding the second option - setting up campaigns via Shopify e-mail...

1.  How do I only send the welcome email to new subscribers? How can I just send to people who I have not sent this welcome email to before?

2.  How do I access the welcome email I created in order to then send the same email to new subscribers?

Many thanks,

Liz

STUDIO_LIETZ
5 0 0

Hi Rose,

I also want to automatically send a discount code to new subscribers and had figured out that the confirmation notification would be a good way to go. Unfortunately I have no idea about html and am not able to amend the code as needed. You mentioned someone from the Shopify team could help. That would be great! What do I have to do?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Mandana

milennet
Tourist
4 0 1

Hello

I can see where to change the wecome message and add a code. But the code should be placed on the thank you page after they confirm the subscription. I cannot find the thank you page. Can you please let me know how to change the message on the thank you page?

ChickDuckGoose
Visitor
1 0 1

milennet. I believe the answer to your question is through your theme's language editor, as per Julie, a Shopify expert, in relation to a question regarding editing the "unsubscribe" message. She answered:

"You can edit using your theme's language editor. The language editor is a tool that allows you to change specific words and phrases that appear in your online store. To access this tool, head on over to Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit languages. From there, you'll notice a search field. Simply enter the phrase you'd like to edit."

Using the phrase "Thank you for subscribing to our mailing list" (found under the tab "Checkout & system" and the "Email marketing subscribed" field near the bottom of the page) I was able to edit my thank you page message to include a discount code.

createdeevity
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, i've turned on the notifications for emails for my subscribers to my newsletter, but how can I set up the automatic discount on ALL items for anyone who subscribes? without having it to be for a minimum amount being purchased and etc?

adam_cvikota
Shopify Partner
61 0 3

Hello,

you can use app Auto Discount: Welcome Voucher to send automatic discount code to email of customer, who subscribe in your store. You can set lot of options and rules how to generate discount codes to customers who subscribe to your store.

popsmash
Shopify Partner
60 1 9

The easiest (and cheapest) way is to just use Shopify email to setup the automatic welcome email. In it you can add the discount block in a new section with the discount code.

It's relatively easy to do, just not very obvious. I had to figure out the same thing when setting up my wife's store, so I wrote a short how-to guide on setting up an automatic welcome email with a discount code using Shopify Email here.

If this answer is helpful, please give it a Like and ✓ Mark it as an Accepted Solution.

POPSMASH: Launch your Shopify AI product quiz in 5 minutes and make personalized recommendations that increase sales, reduce returns & grow email subscribers.
LizG
Visitor
2 0 0
Thank you very much,
I'll take a look at that.
Best wishes,
Liz
XsMind
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi, 

This is indeed a good way to proceed but I would like to send a unique code to each suscribers. Any idea on how to do this using Shopify Email ? 

Thanks

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @XsMind 

If you are looking to have a custom discount code generated for every new subscriber, you'll need to look into a third-party application

I encourage you to take a look at the custom discount code apps from our App Store here. You can also consider the Privy or Mailchimp extensions that can generate a new discount code every time there is a new subscription trigger for email marketing. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.