Can you sort orders by product in Shopify?

EliteSportsTour
Visitor
2 0 27

How can you sort your orders by product?

It seems pretty strange you can sort by date, amount, fulfillment, status, etc. But you can't sort your orders by product?

If I need to see how many products sold last night or are unpaid, I can't see what product they purchased or quantity.

Would be a very helpful feature to be able to sort by product, especially if you are trying to fulfill one product or process orders for one product and have several orders in the back end.

Replies 17 (17)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2193 201 587

You can see orders on the product level in Reports.

If you're on the basic plan you can use Google Analytics (free) and go Ecommerce and check sales by product.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
EliteSportsTour
Visitor
2 0 27
I’m not looking to see analytics.

I’m talking about on the order page. There should be an option to sort by product. If you have several products and are trying to fulfill those orders by product, seeing them in google analytics or reports doesn’t allow you to manage them like you can on the order page.

Similar to how we can select “unpaid” orders. We should have the functionality to sort by product. Not all businesses fulfill orders by fifo.
TantrumFix
Tourist
6 0 6

did you end up finding an answer to your question? Trying to do the same... thanks!

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2193 201 587

There's not a way to sort by product, here are some ideas for more precise filtering:

1) You can use quotes in the search filter for exact matches, like if you're searching for a product with beer in the title search "beer" (including quotes).

2) For groups of products you can apply tags to the order. For example if you sell men's and women's shirts and want to filter orders with them, you can add the tag "shirts" to the order, then you can filter all orders with that tag.

You can also bookmark your filtered searches for quick access.

For example, going to your-store.myshopify.com/admin/orders?tag=shirts will automatically bring up all orders tagged "shirts"

My app Order Automator can auto tag orders based on product conditions so you don't have to manually do it.

3) If you're wanting to see a preview of the products in each order in the orders list page, you could build a custom app so you'd have an Orders like dashboard with it looking / functioning exactly how you'd like, and you could fulfill orders from there too. 

Seems like #1 or #2 would be a worthy solution but you can access your shops data with the Shopify API, so you can build just about anything you want.

I hope those ideas help. If you're still having trouble finding the right solution and want custom functionality give me a shout, I like building stuff.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
TantrumFix
Tourist
6 0 6
thank you!!
BackyardHacks
Visitor
1 0 2

Thank you, Joe! I was hoping there was a way to filter orders by product too, but the search function will get the job done for now. I'll check out your order automator tool as well.

Devon8899
Tourist
11 0 1

@JoesIdeas 

Hello. I have a question of the first way with "product name"

I tried that way I don't know any difference between to search "product name" and product name like without quotes.

I wonder if you know what exactly different between with quotes and without quotes.

Thank you!

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2193 201 587

@Devon8899 This guide explains search for both the storefront and inside your admin: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/storefront-search

rozeart30
Excursionist
14 0 5
Joe,

We are currently selling Custom Leather Goods here:  https://tensawleathertreasures.com/

ALL of our products are MADE when ORDERED.

Actually, how we work is we make up a design (for earrings), share it on Facebook and if people want to buy it, then we upload it to the Website and have people order it from there.

Also - we receive a TON of custom orders that we enter through CREATE ORDER. 

Because of how we run our business, we bulk make our products when we know we have just sold a bunch.  

We need to have a report or see on the Dashboard how many open orders we have for each product that we are creating.  

For example - we are going to create our Ugly Sweater Earrings today.  We need to see how many pairs we need to make.  We can filter Open/Unfulfilled orders, but it only shows open order by Customer and how many items the customer has on their order.  Is there any way whatsoever to have the dashboard show how many of a certain product is on order but unfulfilled.
DH5
Visitor
2 0 2

Did you ever get an answer on this? I need the same functionality for my flower shop business

CVLavender
Visitor
2 0 0

Just yesterday I upgraded from Basic in order to file my Sales Tax report (needed to know Taxable Sales versus Non-Taxable).  AND then I found a report that showed exactly how many of each Product was sold.  It surprised me to learn of some of my best-sellers ---  best of luck!

Veterinaryinst
Visitor
1 0 1

Thanks a lot!

hashtagassistan
Tourist
7 0 9

Definitely need this option!

S_Jones_UW
Shopify Expert
42 0 9

We also have an app similar to Joes ^^  (your app looks good Joe) called Order Tagger which allows you to create rules and tag orders if certain products either are or are not within the order.

If you'd also like to apply these rules to the existing orders in your store, then we have a backdating service that will retro tag all matching orders. Our backdating service is an additional cost based on the number of orders that we need to process (not the number of rules that you define).

Hope that helps anyone looking to backdate tags on their orders.

Order and Customer Tagger apps for Shopify

irsagabooks
Visitor
1 0 3

Hello,

I've figured out one way. It's not sorting within the general list of orders, but:

1. Go to your product file.

2. Find the option 'Inventory history'. For products without variants, it should be at the top right of the product quantity panel. For variants, select a variant and click 'Edit' on the right next to the variant. A new page will open, and there will be the same option next to the inventory field.

3. In "Inventory history" it will show you all the changes to the inventory -- most of them will be orders. Each order will have a link next to it to view it in the orders section.

Hope this helps!

CVLavender
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks so much for your reply.  It did work.

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

+1 for 'Products' to show in the 'More Filters' list.

Come on, this is a basic requirement as the search options don't work as reliably as you'd think like if the SKU or product name changes between pre-orders and the product landing for example.