I need to add a Handling Fee for any order that contains a product from a certain vendor.

AndresZambrano
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Everyone,

I currently sell from two vendors on my online store. They drop ship the orders for me. One of them used to charge me 4.00 for handling on every order and it rarely dug into my bottom line. However, they recently changed that to 15.00 per order. Unfortunately, this is something that I will have to pass on to my customers or it will practically eat up my profits. The problem I have is that this only should apply to orders that contain at least one product from said vendor.... So I can't just hike up my general shipping rate because they would go through the roof and orders from my other vendor would be paying extra unfairly. Does anyone know how to add a flat handling rate when the order includes any item from said vendor? I don't believe shopify allows this, but perhaps there's an app that could do this for me?

Any input would really help!

Replies 5 (5)

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @AndresZambrano

Thanks for posting your question! That is a steep handling fee. Have you considered finding another supplier? If one isn't available and you need to offset this cost, a second option would be to increase your product price and charge a lower shipping rate. Customers are generally more inclined to pay a higher product price, then a large shipping fee. 

That being said, to incorporate this fee into orders that require it, you will need to create a new Shipping Profile. In this new shipping profile you'll add all the products from this supplier, and the new flat rate. Keep in mind, it won't have a separate handling fee, it will just be a flat rate. With this method, if a customer's cart has products from both shipping profiles the two rates will combine into one flat fee. For example, profile A charges $5 for standard shipping, and profile B charges $15, the customer will be shown $20 standard shipping. 

If you choose to charge the customers the full $15 instead of increasing your product price, I recommend keeping an eye on your abandoned checkouts. After a few weeks of running this new shipping rate, you can compare how many customers abandon their cart once they see the shipping cost vs. the previous period. This way you will have solid data determining if the new fee is losing you business. 

What kind of products are you sourcing through this new supplier? If these products are found on AliExpress a dropshipping app like Oberlo by might be a better option. Oberlo lets you import products from AliExpress to your Shopify store with the click of a button and also streamlines fulfillment! 

If Oberlo isn't what you are looking for, there are multiple dropshipping apps available. When browsing apps make sure to view the ratings. Browsing the reviews is great way to see how other merchants have benefited from that particular app! Also keep in mind that most apps offer a free trial period so that you can test it out before committing. If you decide not use the app, just ensure that you uninstall the app before the trial ends to avoid getting charged.

Skye | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog
AndresZambrano
Visitor
3 0 0

Thank you so much for your detailed reply @Skye Skye!

Yeah its quite steep, but unfortunately they are the manufacturer so these products are not available from anyone else.

I'd raise the prices on their products but they have about 150 Sku's and their prices range from 2 to 500 dollars, so that would not make much sense for me.

I did try to create a custom shipping profile and a pop up came up asking if I want to "Activate multi origin shipping"... Should I go ahead and do this? I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks again, and I hope to hear back from you.

Andres

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @AndresZambrano.

That is definitely understandable. Multi-origin shipping is now a default setting for all new Shopify stores. It is difficult to give a definitive yes/no answer to your question without access to your admin and settings to review, therefore I recommend reviewing our guide: Activate multi-origin shipping to understand how this could affect your settings. While we're not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we'd be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

The main thing to consider is this function can interfere with certain shipping apps that interact with Shopify's shipping profiles differently. If you do not use any shipping apps, then you should be just fine to enable multi-origin shipping. If you do use shipping apps, it's best to contact the apps developer to check if this will cause issues. To contact an app developer simply open your Shopify Apps list and select Contact to the right of the app you need to consult with, or through their app's page.

Skye | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog
AndresZambrano
Visitor
3 0 0

Great @Skye !

Thank you so much!

sasquatchstudio
Shopify Expert
69 0 2

hey @AndresZambrano 

I just stumbled on your post. You can use our app to add a fee. What you would do is add all of those vendors products to a collection and then setup a fee for that collection. You can create fee rules by product or one-time in the cart, etc.

Hi @Mesina  and @Insik_Jun 

Not sure if you are still needing a solution. Our app allows you to add those fees and also if you make a theme customization you can show it as a sub-total below.

Check it out:

https://apps.shopify.com/canteen

Also if you need a hand feel free to reach out to support@sasquatchstudio.co

Chat soon!