I would NOT recommend Pixel Union to my worst enemy.

Mischa1
Shopify Partner
52 0 19

I had a very negative experience with Pixel Union. Since I can't leave this review on their page, I am forced to do this here.

I would not recommend them to my worst enemy. It really comes down to ethics, which this company clearly has none. Normally, any IT company before taking on the project woudl execute a formal SOW which both parties can agree upon and reference in case something goes wrong. None was provided to me. After telling me that they could handle requested theme modifications, they did not deliver on what I asked for. Once the project started, I imagine Pixel Union quickly realized that they were way over their heads. They tried to pawn off requested theme modifications to use of paid 3rd party apps, which defetaed the purpose of the modifications in the first place. I should have ran then. I did not, thinking things would get better. They did not. After several weeks of back and forth, they advised me that the most important modification that I requested is beyond their know-how and could not be done because of Shopify limitations. What was this earth shattering feature, you ask? Modifying "You Might Also Enjoy" slections to show products with inventory count greater than 0. Does this sound like an "expert" agency to you? But their 7 day bug policy post delivery of customizations is really what takes the cake. Not only that they deliver a buggy product, they dont QA it themsleves relying on the customer to take time out of their schedules to do their QA bidding. If, by any chance, a customer missed a bug, they only have a week to catch it or they will be out of luck with no recourse. Some of the bugs that their "expert" developers have introduced to our production site are STILL there and they refuse to fix them. They cut all lines of communications after their self imposed 7 day bug policy.

The story does not end there. One of the people in my industry asked who designed our site. Without passing judgement, I told him that it was Pixel Union who did the modifcations. This potential client has contacted them and was quickly assured that some modification that now he was looking to make to one of their themes could be done without an issue and others would need a use of paid 3rd party apps (sounds familiar?). After consulting with us, this person was advised by us should he chose to proceed with hiring them to obtain a detialed SOW that they both can reference. The client then was swiftly told that due to his association with us and due to Pixel Union's "adverse experience" with us, they will not be taking him on as a client. 

You would think that at least someone else would have something neutral to say about them. Yet when you look on their Shopify Expert page the reviews are glowing. Since Shopify does not moderate any reviews AND places the ability to request a review in the hands of the Experts, there is little surprise as to why.

Replies 12 (12)
Patrick_Moloney
Shopify Staff
220 1 28

Hi, Mischa!

Patrick, a Shopify Guru here!

I’m sorry to hear that you're having trouble both with Pixel Union and the modifications you're looking to add. I can certainly appreciate the inconvenience this has caused you and it's definitely not the kind of experience that we would want our merchants to have with any of our Shopify Experts. What you've described is far from ideal in many ways, not least with regard to your colleague and their modification request.

Our goal with our Expert marketplace is to recommend professional and trustworthy experts. This means we take complaints very seriously, I will notify our Expert team immediately so they can take note of the situation.

It's important that these issues are brought to our attention though and as such I'd like to thank you for doing so on this occasion. If you have any further questions with regard to this issue, feel free to follow up via support@shopify.com .

Patrick :)

Patrick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Calvin_Coles
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hello!

We’d like to acknowledge Mischa’s post and make clear that we take any problems in projects very seriously. As a Shopify Expert, we take a lot of pride in delivering great work and maintaining an open and constructive line of communication with all of our clients, a fact that’s evidenced by our many positive reviews across Shopify. While it's unfortunate that we had to cut ties with this particular project, we wish nothing but the best for Mischa and his store in the future.

Calvin_Coles
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hello!

We’d like to acknowledge Mischa’s post and make clear that we take any problems in projects very seriously. As a Shopify Expert, we take a lot of pride in delivering great work and maintaining an open and constructive line of communication with all of our clients, a fact that’s evidenced by our many positive reviews across Shopify. While it's unfortunate that we had to cut ties with this particular project, we wish nothing but the best for Mischa and his store in the future.

Mac6
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4 0 1

Hi Mischa,

Thanks for expressing your opinon here about your experience with a Shopify Expert. That being said, I'm very surprized to hear this specifically concerning Pixel Union. I work on the Experts team here at Shopify and have only have heard positive feedback & professionalism about Pixel Union. 

I truly believe this is a one-off experience with Pixel Union, and I am sorry to hear about the stress it's caused you. If you would like to be introduced to other qualified Shopify Experts, feel free to get in touch directly at mac.king@shopify.com.

hilifevitamins
Tourist
12 0 2

I completely agree. I would not recommend them either. Their new Superstore theme which is not inexpensive, loses images when you change sorts. This is probably the least of the problems I encountered with this

theme. No phone support, limited email support and shopify does not support pixel themes. Enough Said.

Sofi_txu
Tourist
9 0 1

We are deeply dissatisfied with Union Pixel's Supestore theme. After spending 3-4 months trying to fix mistakes that couldn't be fixed, we decided to switch back to the Turbo theme. The reasons were the following: 

- The support we received from their support team was not good enough. They would always suggest that we reach out to Storetasker in order to fix things and didn't reply fast to our emails. 

- After we installed the Superstore theme, our product collections started to run really slow. Sometimes they would need 12 seconds to load! Their support team of course couldn't help us solve this issue.

- According to a Storetasker's developer's findings, the theme also generated a lot of Google Search Console errors.

- The layout options for their pages is very limited and in our case, what was really annoying was some weird spacing that was created at each time we trying to add an image to a page. Their support team couldn't help us fix this either!

Overall, despite how beautiful the theme looks, it is not responsive at all. Wouldn't recommend it!

andrey_a
1 0 1

Totally agree. Using Superstore theme that crashes with errors in the style liquid on every second tweak in standard customization.

Support that only send you to Storetasker where Pixel Union sells their services. Rip off and a waste of money.

Jayare
Tourist
3 0 0

Well at least I am not alone in experiencing extremely ridiculously slow loading times on certain Collections. 12+ seconds on every single page of these collections. I’ve reached out to them and am hoping I get a different response and a true fix to these issues, I’ll follow up once I hear back. I’ve also reached out to a few experts who ran basic audits on the site and found a ton of issues with the theme. Was thinking about hiring someone to go through and fix it, but I keep seeing more and more people dissatisfied with multiple aspects of both the Superstore theme and Pixel Union as a whole.

What new theme have you guys decided on using - I’m interested as maybe the fix is as simple as walking away from the time and money I’ve invested and finding something else that actually works as advertised.

dazzyweb
3 0 0

How is superstore theme working for you now?