If I close my store, do I still get billed every month?

Solved
Mehdi_Ammar1
4 0 0

Unfortunately, didn't make any sales during the short period of time I had my store running and I'm limited on budget so I decided to close my store. Will I still get billed?

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Helen
Shopify Staff
1398 170 232

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for reaching out about this, @umee. There absolutely should not be any further charges from Shopify on a closed account, so it’s understandable why you are confused by this. I’m here to help!

Because the amount of the charge that you have shared is indicative of the annual Basic plan, the first step I recommend you take is to ensure your account is indeed closed. To do so, please attempt to login here as usual. If you are prompted to choose a plan, then this means your store has successfully been closed.

However, if you are able to login to your admin without being asked to choose a plan, then this means your store was never officially closed. Please then proceed to Cancel your subscription and close your Shopify store.

Whichever circumstance it turns out to be, I think it would be best for us to then take a closer look at exactly what the charges are for. While our Terms of Service state that Shopify does not issue refunds, we understand that mistakes and misunderstandings happen, and so if warranted, we can consult with our Financial Services department to see if there is anything that can be done about the charges. 

We’ll need to access your account in order to do so. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we can continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center to create a support request.

Since this is the next step, I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 12 (12)
William_L
Shopify Staff
31 0 2

Hello there Mehdi!

I'm sorry to hear you haven't made any sales while using Shopify but, I'd love to help out as best as I can.

Essentially, if you completely close your store - there is no bill once it's cancelled. You can normally do this by going to Settings, Account, and scrolling down to the bottom of the page. Once there, there's three buildings and the red building that says "Close my store", is the one you need to click to initiate this. 

Alternatively, you can use a Pause Plan which only costs about $14 a month, and would allow you to continue working on your store if you're like to go over some changes with us to try and improve the sales numbers. If you're interested in us taking a look at your store, please let us know :)

I hope that helps you! If you need further assistance, definitely let us know. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

William L.
Guru @ Shopify

Susan_Kraus
Tourist
9 0 1

We just put ours on pause to regroup and decide what we're doing. This is a reasonable way to retain your store, make some changes and then reopen/launch later.  

Mehdi_Ammar1
4 0 0

Hello and thank you for your answers,

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll try to improve my store (it will most likely definitely closed) since my niche wasn't well targeted and not scalable. I still need to learn a lot of marketing/sales techniques in order to properly manage an e-commerce store in the future :)

Mehdi

esteproe1
1 0 0

Please help trying to cancel after free trial still getting billed tried chat no one answered ..tried to  call no one answered...you guys suck and I will tell everyone..quit billing me and also have a phone num

@William_L wrote:

Hello there Mehdi!

I'm sorry to hear you haven't made any sales while using Shopify but, I'd love to help out as best as I can.

Essentially, if you completely close your store - there is no bill once it's cancelled. You can normally do this by going to Settings, Account, and scrolling down to the bottom of the page. Once there, there's three buildings and the red building that says "Close my store", is the one you need to click to initiate this. 

Alternatively, you can use a Pause Plan which only costs about $14 a month, and would allow you to continue working on your store if you're like to go over some changes with us to try and improve the sales numbers. If you're interested in us taking a look at your store, please let us know :)

I hope that helps you! If you need further assistance, definitely let us know. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

William L.
Guru @ Shopify

ber that you answer you guys suck

udochianyanwu42
2 0 0
i was charged $29 for my subscription but i’m planning on closing my store asap, i don’t have the funds to maintain said store, is it possible to get a refund and my store closed
AskQuesty
Explorer
48 0 12

Hi @Mehdi_Ammar1, I made a video tutorial for you on close store and get billed. Hope this helps! https://www.askquesty.com/shopify-answers/close-shopify-store-shopify-tutorial

Timk
2 0 0
Hi William,

I closed my trial account on the day I got billed for the first time, is it possible to get refunded?

Hope to hear from you!

Tim
Rishav23
1 0 0

Hi Team,

I had closed one of my stores 6 months back but i don't know how i got a paypal email saying that $29 has been deducted by Shopify! Please help! This has not happened in any month during the past 5 months but only in March.

Thank You

umee
2 0 0

Hi Team,

I had closed my store last year November 2020 but Shopify charge me USD333.84 in Sep 2021 ! Please help! 

Thank You.

Grace 96823963