Solved

Why is my Shopify product image import failing?

sportisans
Tourist
5 1 1

I have a large product list 480K+ the pictures are not being downloaded/uploaded 

the error is 

• Line 2: Validation failed: Image
  • http://etc.etc
  • failed to download. - timeout reached. Make sure file can be downloaded successfully.

The supplier provided 3 different URLs in their list 

1- for the product page 

2- for the image in .webp format 

3- for the image in .jpg format 

I tried with http and https nothing happened 

I tried to setup one product manually and get the image for any of the links it failed. I tried loading at picture at random from a different source it worked 

for the 3rd URL i copied the image address from product page and changed the URL but it failed as well 

it seems to me the supplier page is blocking download! I used Imageye on one of their pages and was able to download all the images there. I don't know if that proves anything. 

I am stuck and it is impossible to do that manually. All help is appreciated 

Accepted Solutions (3)

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @sportisans we are here to help you out!

can you please reach us directly so we can have a perfect solution in order to solve the issue!

Regards

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website

View solution in original post

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @sportisans 

The timeout error you are seeing is a result of the server the photos are hosted on (the product suppliers website) are taking too long to communicate with our uploading tool, which causes the error. This is why when you tested an image from somewhere else, it worked.

This is generally because we have soft limitations in the filesizes and resolution. If it didn’t time out, it may fail after we download it because of excessively large filesizes or resolution.

There wouldn’t be much we could do on our end to “allow” or “extend the timeout time” on our end. Your best option would be to either try again with the photos hosted where they currently are or download and host the images from somewhere else.

That being said that import is extremely large. Our system generally prefers 10k and below lines of a CSV at a time.  It might be a good idea to break up that single file down into a dozen or so smaller files.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

sportisans
Tourist
5 1 1

thanks for your reply 

I did not try the whole file. I added 10 items to try with. 

Replies 4 (4)

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

Hi @sportisans we are here to help you out!

can you please reach us directly so we can have a perfect solution in order to solve the issue!

Regards

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
sportisans
Tourist
5 1 1
Hello

Thanks for your reply. I don't know how to download and host the images to
another host. Any link to serve as a guide?

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @sportisans 

The timeout error you are seeing is a result of the server the photos are hosted on (the product suppliers website) are taking too long to communicate with our uploading tool, which causes the error. This is why when you tested an image from somewhere else, it worked.

This is generally because we have soft limitations in the filesizes and resolution. If it didn’t time out, it may fail after we download it because of excessively large filesizes or resolution.

There wouldn’t be much we could do on our end to “allow” or “extend the timeout time” on our end. Your best option would be to either try again with the photos hosted where they currently are or download and host the images from somewhere else.

That being said that import is extremely large. Our system generally prefers 10k and below lines of a CSV at a time.  It might be a good idea to break up that single file down into a dozen or so smaller files.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

sportisans
Tourist
5 1 1

thanks for your reply 

I did not try the whole file. I added 10 items to try with.