Solved

Instagram shopping denied: Product Unavailable on Your Website

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hi everyone! I've been having an issue on connecting Istrangram shopping with my Shopify store. I've tried many solutions that I found online but nothing worked so far. I'm hoping to find someone would lead me in the right direction or in a similar situation.

I opened my Shopify store which connected to print-on-demand order fulfilment company Printful. I connected the Shopify Catalog with Facebook via Shopify app. It works perfectly and all items from the catalogue are available on my Facebook page. However, I couldn't get it approved from Instagram and they keep declining produced tagging. The reason is:

Product Unavailable on Your Website (To use Instagram Shopping, your products must be sold on the website connected to your account.)

My understanding of 'The website connected to your account' is that the website link on my Instagram profile. I put the correct shop link which is the same as the one connected to the Facebook page. All products are available on the shop with the direct purchase and I'm not really sure why I keep receiving the same results. I follow all guidelines and policies and I'm sure my shop qualifies for Instagram shopping.

I'm guessing an issue might be the website domain in which my own (not Shopify's), but already got it verified from Facebook. Once I disconnected everything and started it again, but I still keep receiving the same result from Instagram.

If someone knows the best solution please let me know, I would be greatly appreciated your help!

Accepted Solution (1)
Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

This is an accepted solution.

Hey All,

So I am writing with the promised update.

Right now I have my FB Shopping working AND my private domain. If the situation changes or Instagram suddenly denies me again, I will update this again. 

It IS a workaround and might seem like a bit of a hassle, BUT after 3.5 months of trial and errors and battles with FB support, this is the only way that worked for me. Noone on Facebook or Shopify has a working alternative, so I think that is better than nothing anyway 😉 

This is the (hopefully temporary) solution to the issue "Product Unavailable on Your Website. To use Instagram Shopping, your products must be sold on the website connected to your account."

0. Before you begin check that you:

- have Instagram set to a Business profile

- have Instagram and FB Page correctly added to your Business Manager

- have a "Shop" profile enabled on your FB Page

1. In Shopify change primary domain to your myshopify one

2. Verify it via HTML tag in your Business Manager on Facebook

3. Organize your FB product catalog:

- change the links in your catalog to point to your myshopify.com domain. If you have too many products, simply delete the FB App from Shopify and reinstall it. This will create a new Commerce Account and a new product catalog with correct links in your FB.  Even if you reinstalled, double check that the product links point to the myshopify.com domain. Also: You might check the Flexify app for that if your portfolio is too big, please see a note at the bottom.

4. Write to FB IG Partner Support here: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/644690422793138  and ask them to UNLINK your Instagram account from your private domain by choosing the option: "I have not been approved, but want to change my domain". After 1-3 days, an e-mail will arrive for you to reply with a text of "I consent to...." blablabla. You copy the text they send you and e-mail them back. After 12-36 hours you will get a confirmation that the Instagram Shop is unlinked from your private domain

5. Via INSTAGRAM APP go to Settings -> Business -> Set Up Instagram Shoopping.  There the system will propose a domain for you to submit. Choose the catalog you created/updated, and if you changed the links in your catalog correctly, you will see the "myshopify.com" domain on the list. Choose that, proceed with verification.

6. Hopefully after 24 hours Instagram verifies that, yes, you are approved.  🙂 And THEN to get back to your private domain...

7. Go back to Shopify. Change the Primary Domain back to your private one.

8. DELETE the FB App from Shopify. That is because Shopify will, after a while, overwrite the links in your catalog with your private domain ones... And that will make the products unusable on Instagram.

9. From now on, even after the domain is changed to a private one, Instagram will still think your domain is the myshopify one. A note here: Your BIO link can lead to your private domain. Bio links are not analyzed in the reviews.

10. To add a new product use links with the MYSHOPIFY.COM domain. Sure, they will redirect to your private domain (after all, you set it to "primary "two steps back)... BUUUT for Instagram that is enough, that the Product you add points to the domain Instagram approved (the myshopify.com) one. 

Is this solution ideal? No, especially if you have a vast product portfolio... HOWEVER, I think what might be worth exploring further is the Flexify app - it generates product links to the myshopify.com domain no matter whether you have a private domain or not. So I believe that in step 3 you might just delete the default Facebook App in Shopify and use Flexify (and keep it), since the only links it will provide and update are the myshopify.com ones. I did not test that (I only sell 6 products ;)), but you might give it a try.

I hope this update will prove helpful to you, good luck! 

View solution in original post

Replies 68 (68)

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

Hey, I have the very same issue and have been battling it for 2 months now.  I believe it is some issue with Shopify stores using non myshopify.com domains 

The links in my FB catalog link to my domain, the domain is set as primary and it s verified with Facebook. 

I unlinked the domain, then relinked it (countless times). I've reinstalled FB app, converted IG to personal and back again  - I have done every possible thing and still the same rejection.

I have been in touch with FB regarding this issue since November. All I am being told is that they have forwarded it to the Technical team and "will let me know as soon as there are any updates". 

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

That sound exactly the same as my issue. Have you tried that process with myshopify.com domain too? I got an error when the first time I tried to authenticate it with Facebook, but just tried it again and got verified so I'll request another review with that domain as the primary.

And In case If you haven't changed the Facebook page template to the Shopping template, It'd be worth trying (Apparently it's one of the requirement to get approved from Instagram)

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

I verified myshopify too (via HTML), but since my own domain is set as primary, and that is the one I submitted to IG,  I still got rejected.  

One thing I did not try yet is change myshopify.com domain to primary, change the links in my catalog to point to the myshopify domain and try like that...

however from the business point of view, I do not wish to keep up the myshopify domain as the primary one indefinitely...

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

I send an appeal to review with shopify domain registered for both FB/IG, and again got rejected with the same rejection email. I feel like that it is not something we can fix in our end, or an actual issue might be something different (eg. having a small number of followers, something like that)... I wish there's a way to contact an actual person who can look into the issue! I'll keep trying and update if the situation improved.

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

Hey,

Same here - appealed and got rejected AGAIN... but... One person I was in contact with on FB Support told me they do not, on their end, see my domain as verified, or, for the matter of fact, as even added to my Business Manager. 

And on my end when I access BM I see it added and verified correctly (the green dot next to the domain name etc).

So it might just happen that we fell into some sort of a black hole on their end. 

The FB staff said she will forward it immediately, so I hope to update you soon with more news.

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

Ok I see, yes please keep me posted! I believe this is one of the errors that occurred in the process of Fb and IG integration. Could I ask one thing that how you reached out to the staff in FB who in charge of this matter? I have no idea where to look to.

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

Go to your Commerce Manager in FB, click Overview. On the right side there will be "Need Help?" And you can click "contact support". Choose a subject and you can choose to contact them via chat or email.

My advice would be ask whether on their end they see a domain added and verified in your BM. At least you will know whether that is the issue I am having and will save a few weeks of a worthless back and forth exchange 🙂

I am still waiting for their response.

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

Awesome thanks so much for that! just send an inquiry and hoping to receive the response with the solution as soon possible.

halehmahbod
Excursionist
25 0 10

How did you get in touch with FB staff? I am not getting any response from their support. 

Erintidey
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello! I don’t suppose you could email me and try talk me through how to do this can you? 

im so new to all this and have been also battling with trying to get Instagram shopping for 2 months. 
I’m getting confused at some of the steps. 

Shutter-Jack
Tourist
8 0 2

did you buy a domain with Shopify? 

Erintidey
Tourist
8 0 1
No- I brought it via google domains
🙂
Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

Please then check out the guide I wrote on the bottom od page 2. Hopefully it works in your case too.

Erintidey
Tourist
8 0 1
Thanks so much! I will and I’ll let you know if it does! You could be the
genius who figures this mess out hah!
AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

I've got great news guys - my shop finally approved for IG shopping! I followed the steps by @Tumilu and change the catalogue domain from own domain which is not managed by Shopify to myshopify.com with Flexify app as my catalogue was already huge. And I set myshopify.com as the primary domain, sent the domain change request to FB, and after that request automatically handled to IG and got approved.

Initially, I didn't want to use Flexify app as its free plan has the limit number of products(up to 1000), and considering my catalogue will keep expanding in the future it's not a sustainable solution. But I decided to go with it as once I changed the catalogue domain by deleting Facebook app from Shopify, set the primal domain as myshopify.com and reinstalled the app, hoping it'll generate new catalogue with myshopify.com which was set as the primary as that time. But apparently, the original Shopify catalogue (with my own domain) was kept alive even after deleting Facebook app and it was back on board when I reinstall the app.

Not sure if I can manually delete Shopify catalogue when deleting Facebook app. But Flexfy did work and when the products exceed +1000 I will need to manually change the domain of each product page, which should be a hustle, or to pay for the monthly plan($29/month〜).

And after got approved and did some test taggings, I changed the url which is set on both Facebook page and Instagram account from myshopify.com to own domain, and tagging still works. So I guess the main problem is the catalogue with own domain attached, as @Tumilu said.

In later time I'll change shop's primaly domain to own domain(while keeping the catalogue domain as myshopify.com) to see if the taggings are still working or not, and update here once I'll see any changes 🙂🙂

Erintidey
Tourist
8 0 1

I also have amazing news!! Mine is approved to! I emailed fb appeal and changed my domain, they them automatically sent me of for a review and I’ve woken up to a working Instagram shop!

the fact my fix was as simple as unlinking a domain and re linking will continue to confuse me as to why it’s taken fb 2 months to realise 😂

bambina
6 0 0

What did you do? did u just unlink it?

Erintidey
Tourist
8 0 1

I wrote to FB using the option “I didn’t get approved but I’ve changed my domain” and just typed my domain in and that was it🤷🏼‍♀️ I didn’t change my domain to myshopify domain or change my product links it just accepted my private domain 

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hmm, then probably what we have to do is just ask Facebook to unlink the domain and submit the private domain, without touching anything in the catalogue itself?

I just reverted my private domain as primary and everything still works fine (while still keeping the catalogue domain as myshopify.com)

bambina
6 0 0

trying this out today. wish us luck!! 

bambina
6 0 0

okay, did not work 😞

bambina
6 0 0

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 1.45.06 PM.png

did u receive the same email? we consented and got rejected still huhu

bambina
6 0 0

I got great news you guys! we finally got approved!!

First thing i did was to make sure i copy the url and not type the website on our ig bio.

second was i checked the domains on my shopify account. i noticed that my domain didn't have the "www" so i typed it in.

then i went to verification on business manager and made sure that its www. and that my account  was connected.

then i appealed again using the my domain was rejected but i want to change it and woke up getting approved.

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

Funny that the workarounds look so different for each of us. In my case adding the "www" did not work. Catalog still runs on myshopify.com links while my private domain is set to primary. As long as its works though I won't complain :))

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

@Tumilu Can I ask how do you keep myshopify.com domain in your catalogue after setting back your private domain as primary? I use Flexify app but it doesn't keep myshopify.com domain in the catalogue.

So once I got approved IG by setting myshopify.com domain as primary and able to tag products. But as @Tumilu previously said it's not the permanent solution as running the business with a private domain is very important. So after that, I switched back to my private domain(3rd party, not Shopify owned) as primary to see if I can still tag products. And the result was not - I was not able to tag products anymore because the domain in the catalogue was automatically rewritten to the private domain which I can't get approved by IG.

I've tried a couple of different approaches(http and https as well), but nothing has quite worked so far. But If only I could keep the domain in the catalogue as myshopify.com while setting the private domain as primary everything should works as all access from the catalogue automatically redirects to the private domain. My portfolio is already vast so I can't change the catalogue manually.

I'll keep seeking a solution...

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

Oh so I guess that Flexify overwrites the domain then... :(( As I manage my products manually, the links in my case have not been overwritten and everything works for me.

Did you try to Play with Flexify settings on Shopify, perhaps there is a part in there that affects how often the data updates? 

Alternatively I think you can try to experiment with the Data Sources on FB side - but I have not done that so I cannot advise with anything specific. 

halehmahbod
Excursionist
25 0 10

I seem to have the same issue. Where did you set the website in instagram? I don't even see the shop option under settings->business. So, I am not sure where to change this domain that Instagram keeps complaining about. Thank you

Sv3
Visitor
1 0 0
https://youtu.be/QzqaJEH5fUg I think this video might help you.
Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

Thanks but no - she is talking about dropshipping. In my case I manufacture and sell physical products myself and they all are available at all times. 

The issue in my case probably stems from domain verification issues - I see the domain as verified in my Business Manager, but was told by FB staff that on their end they do NOT see my domain as even added... but since discovering that 2 weeks passed and they still did not do anything to fix it. Gah.

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hey, thanks for the link! Yes, I use third-party print-on-demand company Printful. But the products are available for direct purchase from my Shopify store which is directly connected to them and I know many people selling products from the same company in Instagram Shopping. 

I sent an enquiry to FB, and they said it's probably the catalogue I'm trying to attach doesn't have the same domain as the one with which I requested IG Shopping approval, and they can't verify which domain I applied for IG. I think my catalogue must be attached to my own domain in which I applied for IG, but not 100% sure. And my own domain and Shopify domain are both authenticated on FB.

So I'm still in the black hole... I'll check out her other videos as well to see If I can find any solution.

Scott1986
Tourist
6 0 1

Any luck with this, I too am having the exact same issue and have changed my domain to a non shopify domain.

My business is verified with FB though and have input the DNS info without any issues.

Spoke with FB about it, got nowhere.

HELP!

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

No unfortunately... I send a request to review from Instagram app and again got the same result. Not sure what else I can do now but I'll update here if I made any positive progress.

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41
Nah appealing won't work I think - I have been appealing weekly since mid
November...

Talked with countless FB staff, noone knows anything. Still waiting for the
reply from the supposed "technical team", but losing my hopes really...
Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

So this is just to update you that ANOTHER FB staff just gave up on me. The one who supposedly knew how to fix it now just gave me the "advice" to appeal in-app. As if 3 months of appealing already wouldn't do it. *sigh* I am lost.

Shopify staff do not know what is going on. FB staff do not know what is going on. Perfect....

bambina
6 0 0

same with me. i have disconnected and reconnected my instagram countless times. anyone who has solution for this?

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

I can now confirm that the issue lies firectly in third party domains.

For tests I changed to the myshopify.com domain, edited links in the catalog to match and applied with that. I was approved.

Naturally it does not solve the issue for me, it's not as if I could stay on the myshopify.com domain forever, so I will start testing whether I can somehow transition to my domain without the whole mess of unlinking. I will let you know how it goes. What a mess this is...

TheBee
Tourist
4 0 3

Very good discovery, like all of you here have been trying to discover the root with FB & Shop helpdesks with the same frustration as you guys.

For me one FB agent told that the reason is URLs not pointing to correct location in my Shopify and suggesting also about the domain verification which was correct and working in FB shopping experience just fine.

Waiting for your valuable update if you can move to private domain now or there needs to be support case opened for the Shop-IG integration.

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

This is an accepted solution.

Hey All,

So I am writing with the promised update.

Right now I have my FB Shopping working AND my private domain. If the situation changes or Instagram suddenly denies me again, I will update this again. 

It IS a workaround and might seem like a bit of a hassle, BUT after 3.5 months of trial and errors and battles with FB support, this is the only way that worked for me. Noone on Facebook or Shopify has a working alternative, so I think that is better than nothing anyway 😉 

This is the (hopefully temporary) solution to the issue "Product Unavailable on Your Website. To use Instagram Shopping, your products must be sold on the website connected to your account."

0. Before you begin check that you:

- have Instagram set to a Business profile

- have Instagram and FB Page correctly added to your Business Manager

- have a "Shop" profile enabled on your FB Page

1. In Shopify change primary domain to your myshopify one

2. Verify it via HTML tag in your Business Manager on Facebook

3. Organize your FB product catalog:

- change the links in your catalog to point to your myshopify.com domain. If you have too many products, simply delete the FB App from Shopify and reinstall it. This will create a new Commerce Account and a new product catalog with correct links in your FB.  Even if you reinstalled, double check that the product links point to the myshopify.com domain. Also: You might check the Flexify app for that if your portfolio is too big, please see a note at the bottom.

4. Write to FB IG Partner Support here: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/644690422793138  and ask them to UNLINK your Instagram account from your private domain by choosing the option: "I have not been approved, but want to change my domain". After 1-3 days, an e-mail will arrive for you to reply with a text of "I consent to...." blablabla. You copy the text they send you and e-mail them back. After 12-36 hours you will get a confirmation that the Instagram Shop is unlinked from your private domain

5. Via INSTAGRAM APP go to Settings -> Business -> Set Up Instagram Shoopping.  There the system will propose a domain for you to submit. Choose the catalog you created/updated, and if you changed the links in your catalog correctly, you will see the "myshopify.com" domain on the list. Choose that, proceed with verification.

6. Hopefully after 24 hours Instagram verifies that, yes, you are approved.  🙂 And THEN to get back to your private domain...

7. Go back to Shopify. Change the Primary Domain back to your private one.

8. DELETE the FB App from Shopify. That is because Shopify will, after a while, overwrite the links in your catalog with your private domain ones... And that will make the products unusable on Instagram.

9. From now on, even after the domain is changed to a private one, Instagram will still think your domain is the myshopify one. A note here: Your BIO link can lead to your private domain. Bio links are not analyzed in the reviews.

10. To add a new product use links with the MYSHOPIFY.COM domain. Sure, they will redirect to your private domain (after all, you set it to "primary "two steps back)... BUUUT for Instagram that is enough, that the Product you add points to the domain Instagram approved (the myshopify.com) one. 

Is this solution ideal? No, especially if you have a vast product portfolio... HOWEVER, I think what might be worth exploring further is the Flexify app - it generates product links to the myshopify.com domain no matter whether you have a private domain or not. So I believe that in step 3 you might just delete the default Facebook App in Shopify and use Flexify (and keep it), since the only links it will provide and update are the myshopify.com ones. I did not test that (I only sell 6 products ;)), but you might give it a try.

I hope this update will prove helpful to you, good luck! 

AkaneY
Excursionist
12 0 4

Thank you so much for sharing this! I've got loads of products in the catalogue already so I'm a bit hesitant to do that, but will follow the process and update once it's successful. Hope this will save many of us. 

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41

I'm crossing my fingers 🙂 try and check out the Flexify app - it will create a catalog with the myshopify.com domain links (no matter which domain you set as primary), so you can simply connect THAT catalog to your commerce account on Facebook in step 3 and thus have an updating product feed :-))

TheBee
Tourist
4 0 3

Thanks for the full update Tumilu.

I cannot try the work-around you found in my live shop, but really appreciate your work here to find the root.

I opened support case to Shopify to look into your findings and finding an permanent fix. Hope everyone would do the same so that it would get priority in the fix backlog.

FranciscoHuaman
Visitor
2 0 0

@Tumilu thanks a lot! you really gave us the real tutorial here. I was struggling for 3 weeks, checked all of the comments and try a few suggestions from @TheBee and @bambina but finally decided to try the longest path ( the right one for me). I am approved now and would recommend others to try directly @Tumilu approach.  have a nice weekend all!

kzytaruk
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Tumilu, I have the same problem.  I am trying your recommentation.

How do I update the links in my Facebook catalogue?

I know very little about Facebook.  I set up my catalogue in Shopify and linked the catalogue to Facebook.

Thanks

Tumilu
Excursionist
28 1 41
You do that in your business' Facebook Commerce account under Catalog -
Items.
BYOVIE
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi! I can give you someone to contact, they are from Bangladesh and charged me $60 but fixed the problem. Do you want her contact information? I found her through an app called Fiverr
RobMDC
Visitor
2 0 0

BYOVIE, do you mind sharing the details of the lady that fixed it for you.

thanks.

RobMDC
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Tumilu,

i have followed your steps. now the store is approved. i am at step 8 of the process. do i just delete FB app and not install it again? how would my shop sync with IG catalogue when adding new products, change pricing etc.. thanks for your help.

kfinesjewels
Visitor
1 0 0

We have been unapproved for the same issue but now I can't submit any more reviews. What can I do, I really need Instagram shopping.

AsukaAkita
Visitor
2 0 0

6 months of terrible Shopify customer service and no solution to an issue that is now hundreds of thousands are experiencing. 

Facebook blames shopify, Shopify blames Facebook and on and on it goes. 

Anyone searching for "shopify reviews" or "pros and cons of shopify" or "best Ecommerce platform" please read this discussion so that you won't suffer like we did. Shopify is no longer compatible with Instagram which means you will have to spend thousands to move your store to somewhere else. You will not be able to properly run ads or tag your products, and above all: no one will help you.

Proof that no one will help you? Look at this forum discussion right here, do you see a Shopify customer service rep anywhere trying to help resolve the issue? No.